vw bobby

Is there a way to split these rims?

Hi all,

I have seen a set of 3 piece split rims, but have been welded is there a way they can be taken apart?

Here is a pic of them:

wheel2_zps61620482.jpg

wheel1_zps95bd27a9.jpg

Cheers

Bobby

Angle grinder? Plasma cutter? Dynamite? :lol:

lol, nice, I like the dynamite one. On a realistic note though so these can be split?, with a angle grinder, will I not cut through the wheel?

You would have to be very careful. I reckon it would be very difficult to do it and be left with useable wheels without having to do more work to them.

Whey were they welded like that?

buy a set which are not welded mate, im sure they could be split but there is more scope for it to go wrong than there is for it to go right. I would also be asking myself the question "why where they welded in the first place?" . i would hazard a guess that they were not sealing properly when bolted up.

buy a set which are not welded mate, im sure they could be split but there is more scope for it to go wrong than there is for it to go right. I would also be asking myself the question "why where they welded in the first place?" . i would hazard a guess that they were not sealing properly when bolted up.

That is very true mate, I never thought of it that way

Looks like someone had already tried to do something already, by the looks of the scuff/scrape mark where a grinder has skidded down the wheel.

Is that a weld or is it some type of sealer??

As said above, why would someone weld a split rim? If it was leaking they would just use some sort of sealer.

Rog.

Lots of Rims form the land of the rising sun come welded from factory.

Big names such as SSR and Work, im not sure of the advantages but at a guess it would be so they wouldn't leak?

Lots of Rims form the land of the rising sun come welded from factory.

Big names such as SSR and Work, im not sure of the advantages but at a guess it would be so they wouldn't leak?

I just dont see the point in that, why make a 3 piece split rim then, just make a 1 piece