feeenix14

New VR6 owner in the midlands

Hello there,

i've wanted a corrado for years and managed to get enough pennies together to start looking, and after a few weeks of toying with the idea of a mk1 golf or a caddy i decided it was a corrado i wanted. with a vr6. in aqua blue. so i waited and waited and when one nearby popped up i looked at it, had a few issues that i asked the guy to sort, which he did so i bought it a few days later !!

i love it !!

just need to get it lowered and possibly some new wheels and i will be happy.

quick question - my vr6 is a '94. there is a guy at work with a brand new set of coilovers for a '91 passat estate. he will sell them to me super cheap but i'm not sure if they will fit ?

does anyone know if they are the same fitment ?

i'll try and get some pics up of the little beaut !!

ta

Sam

and i've already had my first volkswagen "nod"

guy in an old oval window beetle, matt black ridiculously low slows down to go past while i'm sat in traffic, has a good look at the car, looks at me, and we nod at each other grinning.

good times !!

Welcome! Always nice to get a nod from a fellow enthusiast :thumbleft:

Not sure on the coilovers but I would say they're not going to fit as the Corrado is a bit of a mash up of various VW parts, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to confirm for sure though.

Gah !! i dont think they are the same to be honest but the guy with them seems to be confident they will fit. hopefully someone will confirm so i dont waste my money

Excellent - you're very local to me! I'm over in Kenilworth & Coventry :)

and i've already had my first volkswagen "nod"

guy in an old oval window beetle, matt black ridiculously low slows down to go past while i'm sat in traffic, has a good look at the car, looks at me, and we nod at each other grinning.

good times !!

Did the beetle have solid "drag style" wheels on it and a roof rack? If so then that usually resides over by me in banbury. Seen it about the town a couple of times parked up. I say a couple, pretty much every weekend!

Edited by bendunstan

i think the car needs new rear wheel bearings, i was going to have a go at doing it myself and change a few bits like rear disks, is there a guide for this anywhere. i've been told that i will need a puller to get the bearing off and some kind of press to get the new one on ? is that true ?

if it is then i dont have either so cant do it, does anyone know a corrado friendly garage in the midlands that would do it ?

Its possible to remove the old races using a hammer and drift, and to get the new ones in using a 38mm (I think) socket. Its an easy DIY job tbh mate. If your replacing disks as well, worst case is you can take a new set of disks with the new races to a garage and I'm sure they'll press em in for you for a couple of quid. Much less than what they'd charge you to replace the whole lot.

Ok so I've done about 200 miles in the rado and I'm loving it, got my bearings pressed so as soon as the weather clears a bit i will have a go at doing that job, also got a new set of wheels which i will be fitting once i have coilovers fitted.

Just ordered a foliage seal to change mine because the passenger floor is getting wet, i dont htink its the heater matrix because it isnt coolant and the door seals look spot on, so i'll change that and see if it sorts it - fingers crossed.

Heres a pic anyway (if it works)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76281[/ATTACH]

And i am desperate to get some lupo wipers so i can actually see something while I'm driving !!!

Also does anyone have anyone idea what the wheels are on there now ? and what they are worth ? they are 16 inch, not sure on width or offset but vr stud fitment obviously, they are practically brand new with new tyres so I'm hoping i can sell to fund coils. Someone said they might be off a transporter style van ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76282[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking anyway

Sam

So for anyone thats interested there have been a few issues with the car and things i want to get done and it just seems like every job leads to another so i was starting to think this car was above my pay grade, what with a new house and trying to get married and all that stuff so i seriously considered selling up and getting something cheaper/boring and reliable/boring. Until i just decided stuff it, i would stick with it.

Ive done the rear brakes and bearings but now need to do the fronts, on top of that stuff i have sitting in the garage - new ball joints and full track rods inner and outer, so hopefully when that lots on it should transform the car as at the minute it has ticked over 150k and unfortunately it feels like a high mileage car. engine is fine but the other stuff is doing my head in.

I'm also hoping to get a set of coils soon from a member on here which will help it along, when i do that i will install new top mounts - i already have some 16" bbs reps to go on when its dropped (I cant afford the genuine stuff so reps will have to do)

The clutch has started slipping and the battery has died - already got a new battery to go on, but need to get a clutch and i'll do the chains while I'm at it, once thats done i should be happy. For a while.

So in the next month or 2 i should have a proper car :thumbleft:

there have been a

few issues with the car and things i want to get done

and it just seems like every job leads to another

Hahahaa :)) sorry had to do that

Good luck! I too have a 150K+ VR6 and have spent the last 6 months and quite a few pennies, which all started off dealing with a seized front brake caliper. It's been up on axle stands having a complete brake, suspension and driveshaft overhaul, plus some other bits. Had the electric windows fixed and the rear spoiler and sunroof have stopped working.

I think it's a never-ending list of to-do jobs - as soon as you tick one off, one or more get added! Not trying to put you off, I love my car - I think you have to! It feels a lot more solid and a whole lot less rattly after the work, and it's reassuring knowing that things have been done.

All the best, keep us updated with progress...

Em

Joys of Corrado ownership! LOL

They get under your skin though, 13 years and counting on mine....

I was based in Matlock until recently where are you?

Welcome to the forum anyway

Matt

Well, this stalled for a while because i broke my leg for the second time in three months but it seems to be getting better so should be able to crawl around the car in a week or so.

Im actually giddy with excitement at the minute, ordered new coilovers last night as the deal with a member on here didnt work out, and ive just spent another shedload on all parts to do the timing chains and clutch, a few gaskets and loads of stuff i cant remember now. Bought a support beam to do the work so fingers crossed barring another leg break this car should be in pieces this weekend.

Hi, whats your name ?

"Calliper carrier bolt"

And what do you do ?

"Me? Well i generally just sit here quietly until you think everythings going well then i do everything i can to break your will and send you home with busted nuckles and your tail between your legs carrying a bag of broken tools"

Oh. Nice to meet you.

Pfffffffft !!!

Done loads to the car but im having a mare reducing picture sizes to get them on here and pasting photobucket links isnt working god dammit !!

Timing chains and clutch are done just putting it back together - top tensioner was fubared !!

Ahaaa!!! Tapatalk !! I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. Can this be moved into the build thread section or do i have to start a new thread ?