Sign in to follow this  
CorradoWannabe

Crashed Corrado

Guys,

I lost a bid on ebay for an Corrado that had been in an accident and had sustained quite a lot of damage to the front. The guy lived just a few miles away from me - so i emailed him to try and arrange a viewing but the bid time ran out etc - so i had to content myself with saying to him that if hte winner bidder messes him around then get in touch with me!

Well - yesterday he did - i got some photos too. The car is an H-reg with 100,000 on the clock - it has a full VW service history up to 75,000 miles (when he got it) it still drives perfectly apparently (!) - oh its a 1.8 16V - the colour of the body work is faded too - and one of the back lights is smashed - but i wondered what you guys made of it!

WARNING!! The Photos may cause you to feel pretty upset - they did fo me!

The price it sold for on ebay was £515.

If i was you, i would leave it, looks like it needs a lot of money and a lot of care and unless you can save cash by sourceing second hand parts and do a lot of the work yourself, by the time and money its done you could have just bought a cleaner non damaged example.

Just my opion though, looks cleaninside though and 100k is quite low mileage for a car of that age.

£500?!? Woah, I sense a 1.9 TDI coming on... ;) :lol:

From the look of the photos, you're looking at a new slam panel, wing, bonnet, headlights and grill, and possibly a new radiator too... It looks as if it's gone under the back of a lorry or somthing similar and so hasn't touched the bumper which implies that there's no damage to the chassis legs inside the engine bay, and the inner wing on the passenger side may well just straighten out... The dent on the rear looks like more of a nudge which will probably pull out pretty easily...

Hell, I'd have been VERY tempted by that if I'd have spotted it... :|

Plenty to sell on if you broke it too, but I don't like the thought of breaking Corrados... I've already done one (almost identical to this one.. :( ) and am trying to save 'em now rather than scrap 'em.... ;) 8)

I'm certainly no pro, but I'd say it's probably worth at least £500 if you break it.

It's a shame to kill it, but it looks like it's been neglected for a while and although the mileage isn't bad you're gonna have to spend a lot on that to get it nice again. Henny didn't mention the full respray it'd also need.... It'll cost you more to get that one looking nice again than to buy a fully functioning one, but if you have the heart and wallet for it then restore it and keep another C alive :D

Thats so wierd what is it with red corrado's at the moment they're all crashed damaged!!! :roll:

Maybe the drives all saw red lol :lol:

ill get my cost lol :roll:

Thanks for the input guys - my plan was definately to try and restore it!

From the pictures i felt it needed the parts that Henny said - i know a body repair guy that owes me a favour as my dad gave away our last car to him! (Dont ask - its a sore point :mad: :x :roll: - Mk 2 Golf too! My first car!)

I am planning to get a quote from a repair guy - i would love to salvage it as the millage is low - and a full VW service history up to 75k sounds great!

Regards the re-spray - that could wait - anyone ever tried doing something like that themselves?

I had a look at it today - just casually - going to see it with the owner later on this evening - im hoping to print the pics out and get some quotes from our body repair guy too!

Today asi was walking up to the car from behind it looked absolutely immaculate.. till i got close! Also from the inside there were wirings hanging out of it - i think they may have been from the radio - i'll see what the ownder says later on! Its a shame to see it like that - one main reason im so tempted is that its just down the road from me! :)

never mind the crash damge, I don't think I'v ever seen a corrado with such bad paintwork!!

Show pics of that to anyone you see washing their car with washing up liquid......

The paintwork can probably be recovered with a professional machine polish (apart from the replacement bits at the front end that will need spraying, obviously). It's amazing how much difference a pro polish can make to faded paint!

Tornado red is a sod for fading anyway... If you just leave it alone long during the life of the car, it will go like that pretty easily, but should come back reasonably easily with some good quality elbow grease and polish... 8)

i always wondered what mine might look like if i crashed..now i know! (roughy!)

I think i'll send one of those pics to a particularly gullible mate "look what i did! :cry: " hehehe

i take i should stop using washing up liquid then :oops:

That would be due to the salt in the washing up liquid btw....

i take i should stop using washing up liquid then :oops:

Yes. I made that mistake until I was strongly advised to stop it.

The paintwork on my 16v wasn't in the best shape and now I know washing up liquid was to blame.. even if you can't afford to go bonkers, just get down to Halfords and pick up a big bottle of their own brand car wash. Then pick up some good quality polish and some polishing cloths and give the car a damn good going over - get a bit of protection back on your paint :)

i always wondered what mine might look like if i crashed..now i know! (roughy!)

I think i'll send one of those pics to a particularly gullible mate "look what i did! :cry: " hehehe

na mate thats just asking for it to happen(god forbid) :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I went to see the car properly with the owner there later today and got to drive it too - and i gotta say i was very impressed. Full VW service history up to 75k, got all the stamps, receiets of more recent stuff - also engine is reconditioned too at 75K just before the current owner bought the car.

The radiator looks like it may still be ok - the engine bay is warped badly, but nothing seems to have been jammed against anything else... just about! I took it for a spin and the steering was good - seemed good. The ownder said how he had advertised it for spares more than salvage - but i know a body repair guy and have some spare time + cash to spend on this car!

Gonna get a quote tomorrow morning from an body work guy... the guy selling the car has said how he wants it sold asap as he already has a new car and needs the drive space, if i do not buy it he'll put it back on ebay.. so then it will be open to all of you guys!

Best part was when i asked him to drive it round for me - and he refussed saying he was not insured on it anymore - and with the car looking like that it was just asking to be pulled over! :)

OH - everyone is probably wondering....

WHAT HAPPENED TO IT!

The story was the guy was going down an A road - faster than he should have been - saw a speed camera last minute - hit the breaks which caused the car to spin - and he hit the central reservation :shock:

Anyone following the story here... i got some quotes today.. the labour from the official VW guys was quoted at about £1200 - the parts needed were estimated at costing about £1500 :shock: Side Panel, Bonnet, Grill + Lights and maybe a Front Panel too!

The guy that owed me a favour said £300 labour - but as Corrados were so rare he'd have trouble getting the parts :cry: :cry:

Also the VW mechanics said teh Corrado parts are about 3 times more expensive than golf parts - so that combined with the fact that my bank insist i get a graduation certificate before i can get a graduate loan - despite starting a job very soon - means my Corrado dreams are dashed - and looks like im going to stay a CorradoWannabe!!!

:| :cry: :mad: :(

I managed to find a guy that had all the bits i wanted for very cheap indeed - giving me both lights + grill + wing + rear light - all for £250 - no bonnet tho as he's sold that already :(

I got some more pics of the car - this time with the bonnet open - any comments are appreciated - it looks like my Corrado dreams are resurrected :shock: