Roger Chatfield

Rog's Rado... The smile is back :)

There is still oil in the sump isn't there? I know that sounds silly and obvious, but just wondering if you lost a load on the 5 mile journey home?

Did you clean / replace the little screw-in valve in the block?

Admire your tenacity Rog. Speaking from my own experience, it's not just the inconvenience of the car breaking all the time that's the issue but also the cost - and I don't even have a wife or family to justify the expenditure on the car too, either!

Good luck getting this sorted - hope it's nothing terminal on this engine either.. would be seriously gutted for you if it was.

There is still oil in the sump isn't there? I know that sounds silly and obvious, but just wondering if you lost a load on the 5 mile journey home?

Did you clean / replace the little screw-in valve in the block?

yep, plenty of oil in it, not sure what that screw-in valve is Kev, I do know I haven't cleaned or replaced one.

Just got the valve cover off, no obvious signs of damage.

Pulled all the cam cap and no 7 has picked up slightly.

IMG_4644_zps494c229b.jpg

IMG_4645_zps70bbc326.jpg

only that one shows any sign of damage.

I'm now wondering if I have a tensioner issue, have I 'over primed' the tensioner and put too much tension on the chain thus causing extra strain on no 7 cam journal?? the noise gets worse when hot as the oil in the tensioner expands adding even more tension.

What do the collective think??

Rog.

Sorry to hear this mate. No idea what it could be though, bit beyond my knowledge. If you need anything let me know and I'll help where I can mate. :thumbleft:

Sorry to hear this Rog it really is testing you this car. I don't have a great knowledge with engines etc but with my daily a 2.6 Vectra we had done some suspension work on it and when we started it it sounded like a diesel anyway after a lot of messing about going through what it could be it turn's out whoever had done the previous timing belt hadn't done the tightening procedure correctly so it jumped a tooth or 2 (in safe zone fortunately) do you think it could be timing related?

Took the plugs out and turned it over by hand, the chain is as slack as Katie Price, so removed the upper chain cover and examined the tensioner runner, little bit of scoring but nothing bad, it's secure and hasn't failed so gave the tensioner bolt a good looking at.

And I think we have a culprit.

The upper chain tensioner bolt.

IMG_4647_zpsfacdb9cc.jpg

Check out the damage to the seal.

IMG_4649_zps7d8e886c.jpg

I've phoned eurocarparts and they have agreed to exchange it even though wifey has thrown the receipt out...lol

Pick it up tomorrow, plan now is to give the cam journal a good polish with some wet and dry and refit with another new tensioner.

Fingers crossed it'll work.

Rog.

Sorry to hear you're having such a torrid time of it mate. Is it worth getting an OEM one from the dealer for peace of mind and your money back from ECP?

Also, "as slack as Katie Price" made my day! :lol:

Let's hope that this sorts it Rog . Well done for sorting this and ploughing on n on . As above the Katie price bit made me laugh ! .

Kinda curious to know where you would stand if you could prove their part failing had directly contributed to major engine damage..

But I would have to agree with Mic on this one. Buy a genuine one from VAG if you can stretch to it for some peace of mind!

Did think about going OE but having compared an OE one and this one side by side there is no difference. The Eurocarparts one has a VW logo on it and the VAG part number, probably made in the same factory although it does say made in France on it.

Rog.

Hmm, fair enough then mate. Lets hope it was just a faulty one and the next one is perfect.

Is it definitely a later style bolt. As I know a mix of the older and newer stuff doesn't work properly. It fits but doesn't push the pad bit properly so can sit a bit weird.

I just bought both them parts from vw this week. About £55.

Ah man, not more problems. At least you seem to have found the issue easily enough.

How was she running on that engine before the tensioner gave out, nice and smooth?

Think I still have the tensioner bolt in the shed I removed when taking the cams out of that engine if it's any good to you. Was the same type with the pimple on the end. Not sure about the guide, that may have been binned.

It was running like a dream mate, I just used the guide from my old engine, the upper tensioner was still in place, I reused it as it looked like new, it has a few scars on it now which makes me think I over filled the bolt and put too much tension on the chain.

Btw the bloke I beat to your engine (James with the mk1) has just got my old block.. It's a small world...lol

Rog.

No, it's an early style bolt as it has an early style tensioner and not the all plastic later type.

Rog.

Sorry, think i looked at an older pic of a different engine you had with the late tensioner on it. What about the small green O-ring, Was that there, quite easy to loose or have it fall out?

I have quite a lot of timing spares as well if you need anything.

Thanks for your kind offer Jim, yes the original engine had been upgraded with the later tensioner, the current engine was rebuilt 20k when an ols style but it was like new so I decided to use that rather than the extra expense of getting a new one.

Little update, the smile is back...

Got the new tensioner bolt from Eurocarspares this after noon, I've given the cam journals a little polish with wet and dry and refitted them with the new bolt.

It's now running lovely, just had a quick high speed test and fingers crossed all is good.

For info the tension bolt from ECS is a OE VW part, costs £68.40, little bit annoying that VW want £80 + for the same part.

Rog.

Did think about going OE but having compared an OE one and this one side by side there is no difference. The Eurocarparts one has a VW logo on it and the VAG part number, probably made in the same factory although it does say made in France on it.

Rog.

That means nothing I'm afraid. ALWAYS buy genuine where critical parts are concerned. VAG had a bad batch of tensioners for both 12 and 24V engines not long ago and they've been revised numerous times. Chances are ECP sold you a duff un (unbeknown to them). Buy a genuine one... from VW. PLEASE. With a cherry on top. Buying from a dealer means you get the latest part.

Thank god you found the cause before further damage occurred!

Update... Not done much to old 'Stormy' apart drive it to work most days and I sorted out a few rusty bits, I did think about one getting the car resprayed but I think as its used daily I'll just let it wear it's scars with dignity... however I have got a few winter jobs lined up... A few things gathering dust in the garage to fit.. Passat glass sunroof, TOAD Alarm and finally a nice set SP263's... Watch this space..lol

Oh, and it passed its MoT today with no advisories.

Rog.

Great news on Stormy Rog . Hopefully the weather will be good for next wedsnesday , maybe some love will come back for my car .