vw bobby

It Happened Again

The graph above is my journey to work at about 8 in the morning travelling on A roads at 60 for most of the drive ;), this was in a Bora 1.8T with 225/40/18s

I'll dig out some other data tomorrow when I'm back at work.

This was logged on a day when the outside temp was 8°C, move forward a couple of weeks to a lunchtime on a hot summers day and you can up the temp by say 15° on a really hot day and pressure by 3psi before you drive on it

Specs on my TPMS (IRTPTMS)

14.7mbar/bit Sensor

 Pressure Range – 0 – 3.631bar gauge

 Pressure Resolution – 14.7mbar/bit

 Accuracy - ±25mbar

Tyre Carcass Temperature

 Temperature Range – -40°C – +215°C

 Temperature Resolution – 0.25°C/bit

 Accuracy (worst case) – ± 3.0°C

 Accuracy (best case) – ±0.5°C

Internal Temperature

 Temperature Range – -2°C – 125°C

 Temperature Resolution – 0.125°C/bit

 Accuracy – ±0.5°C

General

 Transmit Rate (moving) – 1Hz

 Operating Temperature Range – -40°C – +125°

 Mass – 40g

 RF Transmit Frequency – 433.92MHz

more info here

http://www.bf1systems.com/index.php?pag=products&catID=5

Manufacturers say to check the tyres once a week but most drivers dont do that.

For a person on any forum to say, you need to set your tyres at this pressure is still only a guesstimate and should not be taken as gospel.

The handbooks recommend doing all manner of checks before setting off on journeys, but do people ever bother? Only the fastidious do!

Tyre pressure and oil levels are also things that seldom change between services on modern cars, which breeds laziness.

Agreed on the second point! I've dished out my fair share of opinions over the years, but I've come to learn that OEMs really do know better than we do! :)

The pressure they specify is a compromise over many 1000s of miles of testing to maintain a good contact patch with good wear rates.

Given the importance of tyres, I find the whole stretching thing baffling to be honest, but we were all young once (some of us still are, lol) and get hooked into trends. Unfortunately, meddling with tyres doesn't always give immediate results. They're not like engines that either work or they don't. It can be many days, weeks, months or years before you come a cropper from fiting inappropriate rubber, but it WILL bite you in the arse eventually.

I wish I'd learned cause & effect at a much earlier age as I've done some dumb ar$e things during my car career, but the OP has learned from his mistakes. Some people don't and end up in a ditch :)

My sister (bless her) drove for 6 months around Milton Keynes in her mini with basically no pressure in her tyres whatsoever (run-flats).

By the time it was serviced she need 4 new tyres and run-flats are not cheap!

It doesn't matter what you say to some people, they think anything and everything on their car is catered for by the yearly service and all they do in between is put fuel in it.

And where's white? :lol:

A little stretch does look nice but some of the guys out there are taking things way too far. Check this awesomely-haired guy putting 225s on a 12J rim!

Stone

wow, those rims look like they should be fitted to a Ford Anglia and driven by a guy smoking a Panama cigar (for those old enough to remember that advert)

:)

Jesus!

I just don't get it. It's like the fattest bird ever wearing the tiniest thong. It's just wrong.

And where's white? :lol:

A little stretch does look nice but some of the guys out there are taking things way too far. Check this awesomely-haired guy putting 225s on a 12J rim!

Stone

It just looks complete and utter w**** imvho of course. Kinda like you can afford nice wheels, but then ran out of money and had to scrimp on the rubber.

The other issue is that quite simply, stretched tyres are not as safe as correctly sized and fitted tyres.

I run stretched on mine and all ok except one keeps giving me grief. Prob a dodgy tyre.

Odd how Drift cars use them and they stay on under extreme driving use/pressure!

Ultimately, it appears no one knows if they are safe or not, stretched tyres have never been tested, which some may say thats why they are dangerous, all have an opinion.

Edited by ExR32

If you go back to my link to Yokohama, post #23 you'll see they warn of tyre failure if you go beyond the rim width range specified for each tyre.