paddy26

Help: Titanium part from German motorsport

Hi,

I'm looking for some help.

I'm getting married this year and have a friend who will be machining my wedding band from a piece of titanium. I'd like the titanium to be from motorsport; F1, Le Mans, etc. but I'm having trouble locating parts as I want it to have a German engineering association.

I've contacted a few online sellers and haven't had any luck so far.

Ideally I'd like a part from a Le Mans Audi, but I'd nearly settle for anything with a German engineering association at this stage.

I've already bought a wheel nut from the 2001 Le Mans Audi, but it turns out that's not made from titanium :(

So does anyone know suitable parts and where to source them.

All help appreciated.

\Paddy

Thanks Bill. I've sent them an email.

I haven't seen any gearbox gears for sale yet but I'll keep a lookout.

\Paddy

Walk the pit lane at one of the public tracks - there's normally tons of scrap fallen into drainage gullies, between kerbstones or just at the side of the road. I picked up a bunch of odds and sods from the track at Valencia which I don't need, pretty sure some are titanium if you want them?

Stone

Thanks lads for the help so far.

I've contacted a few teams but have heard nothing back yet.

Stone, walking the pit lane would be a good idea but travel costs from Ireland would make the part very expensive.

Any one else with any ideas/contacts?

Anyone know if push rod ends from a Le Mans car are titanium?

Link:

http://racetothefinish.co.uk/rttf.aspx?section=stock&category=Mechanical&id=9

bane3yru.jpg

\Paddy

My mate works for one team and from what i know they wouldnt let anything away that is even near current so I suspect you will have to look for something a bit older.

I doubt the eye end is titanium. They don't use it on aircraft where weight and fatigue resistance is important. Probably an aluminium alloy of some sorts. If you do any type of manual job, titanium rings are I'll advised as if you were to ever injure your hand to the point where a hospital needs to remove your ring, they lack the expensive tools to cut through titanium.

The age of the part doesn't really matter to me. It doesn't need to be from a current race car. The wheel nut I bought was from a 2001, but that wasn't titanium.

I'll phone the local hospital during the week, but from what I've been reading titanium is one of the most common metals for male wedding bands these days and the hospitals have the equipment for cutting then off if needed.

I got 3 new contacts yesterday and the 2 that replied have nothing suitable. :(

\Paddy

Cool, good one on calling the hospital! There is a difference between "titanium" rings from the high street and the real deal from motorsport. :-)

I wouldn't trust myself so ended up with nice soft platinum :-) scratches easily though :-(

Thanks for the link.

I would never wear the band if I knew it was made from a part from a Jap car!

Some of my friends are big Jap fans and would never let me live it down.

I actually contacted Ledon racing already and they were very helpful but hadn't anything suitable.

\Paddy

Bumping this up again, as i came to another dead end.

Does anyone have contacts in an Audi racing team?

\Paddy

Hi paddy

i know it is not from a motorsport manufacturer but i have had a titanium with 5 small round 24 carat gold insert ring for over 10 yrs & it was made to order by a UK company

I have found the company using the hall mark & they are http://www.ti2titanium.com/

I understand you wanted a VW / audi car part for your friend to modify for you but thought it might be worth a look if you can not find one

though......having looked at the site they seem much more expensive than they were back around year 2000 :s

thanks lads.

the guy machining the ring for me already has a standard piece of titanium that we could use.

I'll have a look at that motorsport mag this evening.

I have located a part from a Jordan F1 car, but i see that as a last last last resort, as they are mainly associated with Honda.

the search continues...........

\Paddy

thanks lads.

the guy machining the ring for me already has a standard piece of titanium that we could use.

I'll have a look at that motorsport mag this evening.

I have located a part from a Jordan F1 car, but i see that as a last last last resort, as they are mainly associated with Honda.

the search continues...........

\Paddy

what part do you have from Jordan GP ? I work for Sahara Force India F1, and still have access to the old Jordan drawings and could fine out what it was made from. As for titanium parts, I'll have a scout about at work for something that you may be able to use, but I can't promise anything.

I got pics today so I want to update the thread.

I had a part organised from the 2014 Audi Le Mans car, but that fell through shortly before the wedding.

A week before the wedding I contacted Dude VR6 again and he sent me 2 pieces of titanium. It arrived the day before the wedding.

I travelled 30miles to an engineering company owned by my managers dad. Within 3 hours we had the wedding band finished.

Here's a few pics of the wedding bands

7aqyrude.jpg

a3ymasem.jpg

And a pic of my Rado

nyme9ety.jpg

Massive thanks to Dude VR6 for coming through at such short notice. We can't thank you enough.

\Paddy

That's awesome. Great idea and some great pics.

Congratulations!

Look amazing, congrats and hope you had a great day. Thumbs up to DudeVR6 for sorting you out too! :thumbleft:

Glad to have helped, and I'm sure you have enough spare to make something else.

There's enough spare material to get me out of trouble if I misplace this one....

\Paddy