Bullfinch

£5k mark - VW Golf Mk5 GTi - tempting

I know Corrado owners have different reasons for owning and caring for their cars. Some are dailies, some are weekend/summer toys. I'm in the category where a Corrado has been run as a practical 2nd car as my daily is a 2 seater. The issue for me now when I do man-maths is that the cost to maintain and keep to the standard I want my Corrado to be starts to make the switch to a Mk5 Golf GTi very tempting now that these can be had for £5k.

I would say at that price point it's worth looking at the same era Octavia VRS - same engine, arguably more practical, and you can get more car for your money (as a lot of people are still sniffy about Skoda) :)

For others, it's because they like the exclusivity that running a Corrado brings.

I agree though, my missus has a 170 GT TDI mk5 and it's a fantastic car! Bit impractical being a 3 door but other than that, I can't see us getting rid any time soon!

Had exactly this situation myself. Had a Corrado 2.0 16v which loved big time but i sold it and bought a Mk5 Golf GTI 4 door with low miles in mint condition with all the wanted extras for 7.5k. I still miss the Corrado but i must admit when I see some of the problems you chaps are having on here that I went through with mine (ABS Pump, Immobiliser, MAF, K Jet etc, etc) I think i made the right decision re practicality and still good fun. That said I spent three hours last night replacing the CL Accuator pump on the rear door in a freezing cold garage on the GTI. Whenever i see a decent Corrado for sale on here or elsewhere for silly cheap money im always 'tempted' until another bill comes through the door. Go with your gut feeling but you won't regret buying a MK 5 gti but go for the manual. Cheers, Pete

If its your only car then a Mk5 Gti is a far better car than the Corrado. They do rust though. £5k sounds like it will be high mileage. I didnt realise they were getting that low. Id happily own another, few wee tweeks and they are a brilliant all rounder.

Coullstar, what tweeks would you recommend, I know from previous threads you know your stuff. Thanks in anticipation. Pete ps sorry i know this is a Corrado forum

Basically a map is good enough. Maybe R32 front brakes, H&R springs. I actually think they handle better on the 17in wheels as well.

One of the few cars that Ive owned out the box that I didnt think needed changing.

Nice to haves would be winter pack, xenons, touch screen headunit, cruise and armrest.

They have thier faults like all cars but they are easy enough to rectifiy.

Tough call, and certainly something I thought about before buying my old car back. In the end I wanted something a bit different and special to drive, even if not the quickest thing out there, so came back to the Corrado. If you're not bothered about driving the same car as a million other people and just want relatively cheap with a bit of performance then you can do much worse than the mk5 GTi or Skoda vRS (would be my choice) so if the boxes tick then why not go for it?

I've had 3 Octy VRs and also 3 Golfs (2 GTIs and my current MK7 GT TDI)

For the money the Octy is a lot of car and very practical, the boot is as big as the passat but in hatch form, so even better.

My last octavia was a 2010 59 plate with the TSI engine and DSG, sold it for £8500 last year so you should be able to get a 2008-09 reg car for around £5K now

Get the TSI engine over the TFSI if you are tuning. The TSI can easily go to 270-280bhp with exhaust, down pipe, intake, stage 2 map.

The TFSI has a load of limitations, fuel pump is mechanical and can't deliver past 240-250bhp

Mk4 R32 FTW! :)

I had a Mk4 TDI 130. Chipped to 180, Miltek, Coilovers. Highline spec - so it had all the gadgets. Best car I've every owned and I've had 5 Corrados. Only sold it as it was 3 door and Mike Jr came along. It's much nicer owning a newer VW. I think the build quality and comfort from the newer cars far surpass that offered by a Rado. But there is that unique factor of Corrado ownership and when everything works it really works well. I never had any random people come up to me in Tesco's car park and comment on my Mk4. But it's happened plenty of times as a Corrado owner. And they're only getting rarer.

But since you already have a fun 2 seater and you need something practical and reliable, an Octavia would seem the logical choice. Great build quality and bang for buck. Surprised to hear that Mk5 Golfs rust. I thought all the post 2000 cars were galvanised?

Mk5's rust quite badly on the arches and tailgate. Body itself is generally okay but to be honest a lot of cars that age are a bit crap in that respect.

Badge snobbery or not Id choose a Golf over an Octavia, its simply a better car when everythings taken into account.

Badge snobbery or not Id choose a Golf over an Octavia, its simply a better car when everythings taken into account.

I honestly think I'd take the Octavia! Thought mine was terrific.

Get the TSI engine over the TFSI if you are tuning. The TSI can easily go to 270-280bhp with exhaust, down pipe, intake, stage 2 map.

The TFSI has a load of limitations, fuel pump is mechanical and can't deliver past 240-250bhp

+1

Port injection too, so none of that clogged up intake & valves nonsense the TFSI suffered from. Which one is the timing chain engine? Can never remember, but guess what, it stretches :lol: But unlike the V6, the engine just won't start at all if it stretches too much. And rust. Same schitt, different day :)

Mk4 R32 FTW! :) ?

Another + 1

Such an obvious progression from a VR6, but I wasn't going to be the first to say it :D

+1 number three!

The vRS attracts too many boy racers and around my way especially, a lot of boy racers own them as well!! The Golf looks more subtle and imo it feels better made and looks a lot better as well, but each to our own!

Never had an Octavia and I don't see many VRS' here in Germany. Nor R32s for that matter. Saw 2 R36 Passats the other day parked within a few spaces of each other. Wonder how they go?

Never had an Octavia and I don't see many VRS' here in Germany. Nor R32s for that matter. Saw 2 R36 Passats the other day parked within a few spaces of each other. Wonder how they go?

Funnily enough I'm not sure if they're even sold in Germany. Had some German friends over last year and one of them was unbelievably excited to go out for a passenger ride in the Octavia I had at the time - they really liked it!

VW, BMW, Audi and Mercedes are very much the kings here. For obvious reasons. SEAT and SKODA probably do sell their sportier models here but brand snobbery would stop Germans buying them. IMO.

I've got a mk6 which is basically a mk5 with a facelift. It really is a lovely car to sit in and to drive. If it's your only car then the Corrado simply can't compete. I am disappointed about the build quality compared to my previous mk4 though. I've also had rust issues on the tailgate (fixed under warranty) which is disappointing for a 4 year old car. Lovely to drive though and quick.

Supposed to be a great car the mk5 gti, I certainly wouldn't pass on one. But for me after owning remapped golf diesels, audi s4's, imprezas and much more I settled on a 330d sport.

For me an e90 bmw 330d remapped to 300bhp has got to be about the best all round everyday car out there, and great fun with rear wheel drive, cruise, solid build and not a bad sounding engine for a diesel!

I love my vw's and will always have a corrado tucked away but the German blue and white badge takes some beating.

Supposed to be a great car the mk5 gti, I certainly wouldn't pass on one. But for me after owning remapped golf diesels, audi s4's, imprezas and much more I settled on a 330d sport.

For me an e90 bmw 330d remapped to 300bhp has got to be about the best all round everyday car out there, and great fun with rear wheel drive, cruise, solid build and not a bad sounding engine for a diesel!

I love my vw's and will always have a corrado tucked away but the German blue and white badge takes some beating.

E90s are great to drive, Msport handling is better that most current VWs even with upgrades.....but...

Run flat tyres are terrible and must be removed plus running costs are astronomical.

As an example, I owned a 2007 330i msport manual (280bhp petrol) was 4 years old with extended warrantee.

Pas hose burst - £360 (warrantee claim)

Pas hose kept leaking - £250 (warrantee claim)

Engine started rattling, cam and tappets damaged, £3000 bill and they tried their best to get out of it - warrantee claim but they charged me £400 for oil, coolant change that had to be done as part of the job anyway.

BMW make great cars but they rape you on the maintenance!

Sold it after just 1 year :(

Ive had 3 Msport cars in recent years and have to agree on the way they drive out the box, brilliant. Currently on an 08 E91 320d Touring and its brilliant. We are however getting away from budget here.

Same old thing, go and drive the cars and see what you think.