seanl82

TEVES 20 ABS system parts list?

Anyone had an issue with ABS ECU after fitting? I'm getting error code 1044 ecu incorrectly coded.

I've read what I can find online and it seems this is because the ecu will be coded for a different vehicle, in this case a mk3 Golf. I believe I need to find out what code to use for a Corrado VR6 and then see if I can get it changed to that.

Mine worked straight away when I connected it. Haven't heard of having to code the ecu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, cleared it with a snap on diagnostic tool but it comes straight back. May be a call to Stealth tomorrow and see if they know what to do about it! No other error codes left now but abs warning light still on so presumably once this code is gone the light will go off.

Sorted! The ecu was coded wrong. There are 2 codes for a mk3 Golf ecu and I didn’t realise until I bought the Bentley repair manual. Tried changing the code to the later version & then the faulty coded message was replaced with faulty rear right sensor. Was a brand new sensor it must’ve been faulty so I tried a known good one off my mk3 and the fault cleared. Just need the right warning light now unless I can modify a mk3 one to fit.

You can modify a mk3 one into a Corrado light and then you have to do a bit of electrical wiring to get it to work. Unfortunately I can't remember details as it was a few years ago now but I know it can be done!

I have up looking for the passant light in the end, they are impossible to find.

Thanks guys, I'm modifying a mk3 one as I have the loom to go with it. Offered it in today just to see if it works & it does. Just got to tidy it up so it fits nicely in the dash & looks original now.

Thanks guys, I'm modifying a mk3 one as I have the loom to go with it. Offered it in today just to see if it works & it does. Just got to tidy it up so it fits nicely in the dash & looks original now.

I also went with the mark20 system. Do you have more info on wiring? I just plugged the abs to fuse box plug, connected/spliced the 1 wire to the other plug (blue/red) and fitted the warning light loom to the light. Might have wrong rear sensors but the light does not go off

There is a document g3abs95on.pdf which is on RunJonny's google docs page:

https://sites.google.com/site/rubjonny/ >> VAG Documents and have a rummage...

The wiring to the ABS lamp - and the ABS lamp - need to be from the Golf3, too.

Have you tried checking if there are any error codes in the ABS controller?

I've just started installing the Teves 20 ABS and realised I don't have the brake servo in the pile of parts, should have noticed before I removed the old loom really! Could anyone confirm the part number for the Passat item, I believe it should be 358 612 107B but am open to suggestions of alternatives.

Cheers

Hello I wonder if those who've implemented the TEVES 20 change would chip in. I've been searching carefully for the parts and noticed something strange. It seems that the B4 Servo for TEVES 20 is no different to the B3 9" servo, or indeed the Corrado VR6 9" servo. One part no: 358614105. Am I mistaken?

If this is correct then it seems i can keep my existing VR6 servo. Is there any need to remove the servo during the upgrade - or does the loom thats  pinched into place behind it need to be accessed?

The servo you’ll have is no use, you’ll need one without the pedal position switch. I used a b3 or b4 Passat one, looks identical to the VR6 one except it’s not got the switch. You need to be careful which one you get as the pedal end needs to be the fork type and not the ball type.

I removed the system I had from a Golf VR6 but swapped the servo to make the pedal situation easier 

8BDA100B-419D-42AD-B08F-2DCFD4815FE3.jpeg

As easypops has said, the servo needs to be the one without the pedal position sensor, I bought a new one from onlinecarparts, VAG p/n was 358 612 107 B. I'm sure that given time I'd have picked one up from a breaker but I was in a hurry at the time and all those turning up on eBay seemed to be rusted within an inch of failing. A second reason that the existing servo can't be used is that the mounting studs for the master cylinder are at 45 degrees whereas those on the Teves 20 master cylinder are horizontal which is something of a deal breaker.

I also had to source other parts as my original kit was from a Golf, the ABS dash lamp from the Passat 3AO 919 235 AF fits into the opening in the dash and you can install the Corrado lens to make it look original although the airbag lamp needed disabling as mine was permanently lit, the loom for it would also be useful although I couldn't find one and made my own, easypops was luckier and managed to pick one up! You'll also need the correct brake fluid reservoir if you're using Golf kit as the original will sit at a strange angle and rub on the inlet pipe, I used the non-ABS version from various models, part number 358 611 301. You'll also need to swap out the rear wheel speed sensors as the plugs on the existing ones don't match the loom, I bought a pair of 1H0 927 807 D as they had the longest cable on them (the Golf loom lands a bit short under the rear bench) although the sensor part itself seems to be a bit too long and rubbed on the sensor ring when I installed, I made some temporary spacers to cure this but will address it over the winter, I might make some up by cutting and soldering the two flavours together.

Can I just add that Tony(tonedef) has helped me massively with this, in fact, without his input I doubt I’d have gotten there........thanks mate 😎👍...........although I’ve yet to fit the rear sensors, hopefully they fit ok but I guess I might end up with the spacer issue

@easypops @tonedef. Thanks guys. I'm compiling all the data as I go along. My aim is to add to this thread with the part numbers and additional forum links.

My search for  B4 with a decent intact servo is proving to be fruitless. Found a few - but as tonedef found they all seem to be badly rusted.

However the good news is that the search has become a little more strange and interesting: 

• The TEVES20 configuration was also available on the SEAT Toledo RHD in the 1997-1998 window, with the right bracket, loom, servo. There was one in the west country but I missed it due to the lockdown and its since gone to the crusher. 🙄
  • I've been searching for cars which used 358 612 107 B. Sitting down? According to ETKA 7 this same part no - 358 612107B was the same as 358512107, or the ATE 300079, more commonly called the ATE 03.7750-4902.4.  - a 9" servo, without that brake position sensor. I can't be the first person to stumble across this, but it seems that this part was also used on RHD 'Corrados that didn't have ABS installed. It kinda makes logical sense but could someone else confirm this please? If this is right, the older OEM 9" non ABS servo in Corrado's servo works with TEVES20. Is this nuts or does this make sense to anybody else?
  • Am finding myself looking more closely at Mk4 servos. Now I know that easypops said that it isn't a good idea to use a Golf Mk3/4 servo  - because of the ball pin fitting, which doesnt work with the clevis pin fitting on the manual pedals. So ....here's the question - has anybody used that on the original mechanical pedal system, cut the ball, threaded it, screwed on the clevis pin from the old servo and got it to work properly?
Edited by Bruno

Currently planning to work through Xmas by replacing all the lines and having them ready for the swap of pump, ecu and wiring. So for now my intent is to replace all the existing lines- which seem to be jammed solid. May I clarify again?

• It seems that all the hard brake lines are 3/16" are the same size in the TEVES 02/04 and TEVES 20 systems. However some of the fittings for the TEVES 20 system are 12mm, some 10mm, but those are just the fittings right? The lines seem to be 3/16" everywhere. Please confirm,
  • In taking off the rear beam the hard brake fittings seem to be 10mm there - does one obtain 10mm x 1 fittings

The rear seems interesting. I have two hard brake lines going to the back, not one - but that could be because my car has a the EDL system incorporated. No Y adaptors seem to be in place where the old proportioning valve is located. So what I thought to do is fit slightly longer hard pipes on the rear beam, the valve, with the aim - when the TEVES 20 system is fitted - to bridge over the proportioning valve, with the extra length - and simple use female to female connectors to form the bridge. I hope this image makes sense.

The main issue for me is, do any of you guys remember which fittings were 10mm, which were 12mm. I see the picture earlier in this thread identifying a couple of 12mm fittings at the pump - but did you see them elsewhere? Just working out what to buy.

18 hours ago, Bruno said:

Currently planning to work through Xmas by replacing all the lines and having them ready for the swap of pump, ecu and wiring. So for now my intent is to replace all the existing lines- which seem to be jammed solid. May I clarify again?

• It seems that all the hard brake lines are 3/16" are the same size in the TEVES 02/04 and TEVES 20 systems. However some of the fittings for the TEVES 20 system are 12mm, some 10mm, but those are just the fittings right? The lines seem to be 3/16" everywhere. Please confirm,
  • In taking off the rear beam the hard brake fittings seem to be 10mm there - does one obtain 10mm x 1 fittings

The rear seems interesting. I have two hard brake lines going to the back, not one - but that could be because my car has a the EDL system incorporated. No Y adaptors seem to be in place where the old proportioning valve is located. So what I thought to do is fit slightly longer hard pipes on the rear beam, the valve, with the aim - when the TEVES 20 system is fitted - to bridge over the proportioning valve, with the extra length - and simple use female to female connectors to form the bridge. I hope this image makes sense.

The main issue for me is, do any of you guys remember which fittings were 10mm, which were 12mm. I see the picture earlier in this thread identifying a couple of 12mm fittings at the pump - but did you see them elsewhere? Just working out what to buy.

As you say, all the brake lines are all 3/16" or 4.75mm, also it is correct that you have two lines to the rear.

All the fittings are M10 x 1.0 except for the two M12 fittings on the pump for the left side of the car. See the photo for which port is for which line, the ports on my pump are not marked so I needed this photo to check my piping.

SM043_ecu_mk20.jpg

Does anyone have a pic that shows the route of the drivers side rear brake line? Does it cross under the exhaust heat shield in front of the rear axle? Are there any mounting clips?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This is the only photo I have on my phone, it isn’t great but it might help.

F7F5211D-BD82-4CBF-9600-5858927E568F.thumb.jpeg.1e4baf1124aa1a8621a2eed42c8f68ef.jpeg
Certainly does help. Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

This is what I used for reference,(thanks Tony), although I think I ran it closer to the step and behind the heat shield. I’ll get a picture later if I can still fit under the car 🤣

Does anyone know the required gap between the abs ring to the abs sensor?
I'm getting this error for both front sensors:
00283 abs wheel speed sensor 04-10 mechanical malfunction - intermittent

Here's a pic of the gap between the sensor and the abs ring. ~10mm. Is this too large a gap?

df10dca753b217b4d9c83c9256115848.jpgfa23c20edd423309f7ed792b15300406.jpg

3 hours ago, paddy26 said:

Does anyone know the required gap between the abs ring to the abs sensor?
I'm getting this error for both front sensors:
00283 abs wheel speed sensor 04-10 mechanical malfunction - intermittent

Here's a pic of the gap between the sensor and the abs ring. ~10mm. Is this too large a gap?

df10dca753b217b4d9c83c9256115848.jpgfa23c20edd423309f7ed792b15300406.jpg

That gap looks huge, I had to tap the sensor ring slightly to straighten it as a small kink was making it rub on the sensor. Maybe a 1mm gap on mine.