Gti_Jamo

1991 Tornado Red Corrado G60 Daily / Project

Looking good have to say it though never buy second hand suspension but that's just me ;)

Cheers mate, yeah not something i've done before but they look almost new and didn't pay much. Got them off ebay on a 'buy it now' listing so if there knackered or whatever they'll be going back so no big deal really. Would certainly not pay list price for budget coils new. Will prob get some AP's on it next year.

Got it all built back up yesterday and managed to get it in for a late mot. Passed with only a brake hose and the tyres as advisories. Gave it a wee polish too. Sills been sealed, stonechipped and painted.

6se4gg.jpg

25t7wb9.jpg

awami9.jpg

345kgsm.jpg

Still leaking water though, coming in via the top of the A piller trim on passenger side. Hopeful it's just a blocked sunroof drain but will check it out. My new coillies are rock hard so will be changing them sooner rather than later. Still got to fit my rear seatbelts and seats too. Gonna try get some G60 steels for it i think.

Was actually leaking from the top of the windscreen on that side, small cavity in the bonding. I jist filled it with my own sealant and all is well. I think i may now actually have a water tight corrado now lol.

I have a brand new outer seal and new side trims too if your interested. New windscreen came with a kit and the fitter also had another kit separate so just gave me it as spares.

love the work you've put in on this car, nice to see another early C kept going.

I've a similar windscreen issue, a replacement I had wasn't sealed in 2 attempts by autoglass, I sorted it myself as well in the end.

my corrosion is on the passenger side lower A pillar gutter, sad to say at the moment I've just removed the rust as best I can and filled with a metal epoxy, but then my car doesn't really spend any time outside now and in a garage over winter SORNed

Cheers mate,

Yeah not sure how the fitter managed to do that as he put a good think bead of sealer all the way round but just seemed to be a cavity a couple of mm long causing water to drip onto my passenger seat. All good now though!!

Not much of an update. Needing four tyres for the rz's but the're badly needing a refurb and I thnk one rim is beyond repair so decided instead to try and find a bargain and picked up these 16" Advanti SG40's with nearly new Dunlops quite cheap.

2q8zwp4.jpg

Not to sure about how they'll look until I get them on but need bolts and spigot rings first.

24vvfrd.jpg

As for the Corrado itself that's 8500 miles now since the rallye engine went in and it hasn't skipped a beat. Yeah it's using a wee bit of oil and the lambda's still disconnected but still works as it should and have great confidence in it. Rigged up a temporary boost gauge and only making 0.6 bar so not too great for a stage 2 but not bad either. As for recent work i've just replaced the o/s window regulator. Paintworks not standing up too great with spreading laquer peel but will get done at some point. Still heading in the right direction.

My oldman has took on this so garage space is limited for a while until we've finished replacing rot with metal. :roll:

vyv0bk.jpg

Hey guys,

Been a wee while since I updated. Not much going on with the G60. Limited funds so can't get the stuff done I want to do.

Recent work was to get rid of the front mounted intercooler, i've nothing against them but it's too wide and the pipework fitted together poorly so off it came.

2uf6eyu.jpg

29x6i6o.jpg

Picked up a standard side mount and pipework along with a BBM RSR outlet so I could ditch the silencer box.

5efx48.jpg

2a8hksw.jpg

All solid now and no boost leaks.

When I was under the front end something caught my eye, it looked like my subframe was cracked just behind the front wishbone mounting. Gave it a wee poke with a screw driver and a big chunk of body filler fell out leaving a gaping rotten hole.

14w7n69.jpg

Same thing on the other side.

r768og.jpg

This sort of bull***t annoys the heck out of me. I've drove 10,000 miles in this since I bought it too, didn't even get picked up during the mot last year. Whoever done it certainly spent some time hiding it.

So on the hunt for a subframe now. Will probably fit new wishbones too as the're not looking to clever either.

Cowboys eh!!

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Wow, thats in a pretty shocking state! Surprised the MOT station didn't pick that up. At least you've caught it now before something serious happened.

Finally managed to find a decent subframe which i'm going to clean up and paint. Going to get new wishbones, droplinks, wheel bearings etc and hit it all in one go and that is one less job to worry about.

She's a bit neglected just now but still well in daily use. I know i'll get it off the road and restored at some point. My health hasn't been great past few months and lost all car motivation so aslong as it still works i'm happy. Over a year on the road now and I usually get bored of a car but not this. I've mulled over selling it and even advertised it recently due to me not being able to do what I want to do to it but I just can't see me parting with it. Not long said goodbye to my Mk2 Golf project which I already regret.

2lij1nn.jpg

Hopefully more updates soon. :thumbleft:

Hey guys,

Well the MOT ran out on the 60 a few weeks ago so she is off the road now for a bit

2uogt3s.jpg

The replacement subframe I got turned out not much better than my original. Rotten in the same places after cleaning it up. I however decided to weld it as it's not really structural. Gave it a lick of paint an all is now good.

fxgyrl.jpg

Going to be purchasing new wishbones and ball joints, droplinks, ARB bushes, bearings and track rod ends shortly but money is tight the now. I've bearly worked this year due to poor health and the Corrado has certainly suffered as a result. The paint is quite bad now but aslong as I keep on top of the mechanical side of things and I can still use it i'll be happy.

8zn440.jpg

One of my track rod ends is seized and it's badly been needing tracked ever since I got it and has been eating through my near side tyre so i'll likely need to carefully try and cut it off with a grinder. Also need to replace my short rear flexi pipes, number plate light needs sorting, rear spoiler goes up but won't come back down, and need to relay my headlights as there just not near good enough for night time driving. And finally de-cat it and put my other G-Lader on.

That's the plan anyway.

Wee update on the G60.

Eventually got it all built back up (4 months it took me lol) and now has an MOT so back on the road for the time being. Had her out for a good blast this afternoon.

2mzz32s.jpg

She's had a refurbed subframe fitted along with wishbones, drop-links, ARB bushes and front wheel bearings. I've also fitted an oil catch tank to deal with my breather issues for now.

16gxvo7.jpg

nlrb7m.jpg

I'm running a stage 4 charger just now on a standard pulley so I took my stage 2 apart to inspect its condition. This will have done about 60k on a standard pulley.

1oafbs.jpg

9kbi3s.jpg

From an initial inspection all looks pretty good. Obviously an oil seal has failed somewhere and the apex strips will be quite worn but other than that there is no evidence of any damage. It sounded fine before I took it off. I'll inspect it further but if all is well I may just replace the seals and the apex strips and build it back up with a lick of paint and new belt and bolts. My stage 4 has a little oil coming through it too so it will be getting the same treatment soon.

Edited by Gti_Jamo

This has been a good little read, good to see the effort you have put in. After reading through the first 4 pages I suddenly thought, I know that registration! Was/is this car from Linlithgow? I used to see it parked near a MK2 Golf.

Regards

Fraser

Hi Fraser,

Cheers bud. I bought it from a guy in Kirkcaldy, but was registered to someone from Prestonpans so not too far from Linlithgow. Maybe whoever used it commuted there.

Jamie

Made up my own upgraded headlamp loom. Just done the dipped beam for now but will add a third relay and hook up the full beam when I get a chance. What a difference. At night I could barely see anything before so much so that I didn't really like having it out after dark. Also the ebay special oil catch tank. It's catching a bit of oil, and a lot of condensation. I think it due to the pipe work though.

33xtpoj.jpg

Also got myself a cheap dash cam. I had a few quid left on an amazon gift card I got for Christmas. £13 I think it cost, plus £8 for a 32GB SD card. It came with a plug to go into the cigarette lighter as it needs to hooked up all the time as the battery doesn't last long. The socket on the corrado isn't great plus, in mine anyway, has a permanent 12v to it all the time. Improvised and fitted another socket behind the dash which was wired into an 12v ignition feed so the camera just comes on and records as soon as the ignition is live, and records on for 2 minutes after ignition is turned off. Routed the wire up the window pillar and along the top of the headlining. The following video is just a short 5 minute loop from earlier today. The cam is supposed to record full 1080p but I tried it on that and it just seemed to be working to hard and not that great, much better at 720p. Not bad picture, considering my suspension is rock hard. The sound is not very good, it records itself rattling. I'll probably upgrade it at some point but not bad wee thing considering the price.

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Hey guys, been over a year since I updated this!!

Still got my Corrado although it's been off the road since December.

PB160430.jpg

PB160428.jpg

So I wanted to sort it out once and for all and get the engine bay done and get it running and performing well.

If you read the start of this thread you'll remember I melted a piston and have been running a 1H Rallye engine for the past few years now. It was always a temporary measure but it done a good 25,000 miles without much issue. Aslong as you kept the oil topped up anyway.

15823345_10211843941438555_8306352709423614099_n.jpg

This all I have left of my original PG block. I sold the remaining pistons, along with the cylinder head ages ago. Fortunately I have since bought replacements to rebuild it back up as it is a good block. I've got around 95% of the parts there now. Including gaskets, new rings, valve guides etc. I rebuilt the bottom end on the 1H engine before fitting so will be using the crank out of it for this.

So then this happened!

P3060455.jpg

P3060454.jpg

And then this!

P3180475.jpg

I removed the dash because I wanted to remove the old inoperable alarm which I have already done. Will be replacing it at some point but have put all the wiring back to normal for now. Also makes it easier to remove the servo.

But my main focus the engine bay.

P3180474.jpg

The paint is bad in here and a few areas of surface corrosion so prepped it all for a new coat of tornado red.

P3300480.jpg

Ended up going to town on it so prep extended to right under the front to where the subframe begins, wheel arches and chassis legs. Scuttle area too.

P3310489.jpg

P3310486.jpg

P3310483.jpg

That's about where I am up to just now. Going to redo the engine bay wiring loom, I have got some of that Tesa cloth tape that was used originally so it should all look pretty good once it's back together. I want to get the subframe back on it to get it rolling again first. Once the bay is all back together I'll switch focus to building the engine which hopefully shouldn't take me long.

Thanks for reading!

Jamie

Edited by Gti_Jamo

Hi,

More updates on the G60. Should be more frequent from now on. Engine bay is coming together. Refurbished every component, anything that is metal has been rust treated, etched primed and painted. Also rewrapped the loom, repairing any damaged wires along the way. Alarm has been completely removed.

205vz80.jpg

35bhxt5.jpg

jgi7hw.jpg

My bottom end is all been cleaned up and painted. Bores deglazed. New crank and rod bearings. New crank seals and all new gaskets. New piston rings also. All tolerances are good and well within spec.

20iumm9.jpg

xpdgyf.jpg

Head has been cleaned, skimmed, new guides, had the valves and the seats re-cut along with new injector seats. I've got a but if pitting round both coolant flanges so will need to sort that out with some chemical metal or something and sand them flush so they seal properly.

2hq9und.jpg

21ecapy.jpg

So all ready to get built back up as have all the new gaskets, new head bolts etc.

I also bought this...

344dzk3.jpg

ivlrhi.jpg

263hf5x.jpg

It came from Alex, forum member Alex_G60_Fanatic. We finally struck a deal. It's not too bad but a little rough round the edges as it's been off the road for around 3 years but it runs well enough despite it not idling very well. One of the rear arches is in a bad way as is the bonnet and one of the wings. I'm not planning on breaking it but I need a few bits off it for mine so will probably do something with once mine is back on the road. I don't need anything from the engine anyway and it has a few good bits I don't need either. It does have a set of KW V1's which will likely find their way onto mine.

Couple of other parts that came with it.

2wf3ar6.jpg

2dkbtvm.jpg

Powerflow full stainless exhaust. Also has a 4 branch which after offering it upto my head one of the ports appear slightly off but i'm sure it can be manipulated back into shape.

So that's it for now. Should see some more updates coming thick and fast!

Couple of snaps of my ill fitting 4 branch. It goes on but it's really tight so not sure if it's suitable. I assume it's warped ever so slightly. I'm wondering if I have it fitted before putting my engine back in the car I'll get it slid through its gap between the subframe and body as it will be a pain to fit afterwards.

4j5d75.jpg

miz42.jpg

You can see how it's sits hard on the studs. I've tried heating bits and manipulating it a but which has helped me actually get it on but not ideal.