BILLCOR

£41k for a Golf FFS!!

Unbelievable !!!!

it' not far off par..... i'm look at one my dealer rang yest to say the demo was being delivered to day.. will be pdi for a test drive next week.

when you consider standard colour is red. you need metallic paint / sat nav / and decent leather seats to start with brings you to 35K to start with.

It's because there's a waiting list from everyone buying them on finance. Most car supermarkets are churning them out for £280 x 24 with £1800-£2000 down.

March is a good delivery date for these so he's profiteering on that fact.

So much for the recession eh? :roll:

Weird to think you could buy a Mk5 R32, a top spec Mk5 edition 30 with remap etc for 60bhp more than an R...a mk5 GtTdi for daily use, and still have like 15k leftover!

And thia is a demonstration of why I can't ever see mymyselfbuying a new car again in the future. There are so many good value cars out there between 5k and 15k that it's nuts now to buy new unless you really value being the first to own something.

New cars can be worth having, but in my view only if you are self employed (Ltd co) and want to cash in on the low emmission vehicle deals.

I bought a 106gm CO2 Golf MK7 GT TDI 150bhp (Bluemotion) list price £25K for £22K via Carbuzz....then I could offset the whole cost in Year 1 against my tax bill and so saved £4400 in tax.

Total cost to me was £17600 and after one year, I could still trade the car in and get that back now.

Mapped it with a DTE box (fuel, boost, timing) and got 500nm torque and 195bhp......its a bloody animal and still returns 55mpg :)

Wasn't that the first production estate to hit 200mph (with the limiter removed)?

It's a LOT of car for the money but the potential for massive bills as well.

They have pretty much been proved as bullet proof. Very little goes wrong. Genuine 200mph+ estate there. I have seen one on the roller that produced more power and torque at 2500rpm than my RS4 did at peak!!! All that and he could watch Playboy channel whilst doing it.

Im planning on getting one at some point.

Dunno about those as an ownership proposition. I've got a bee in my bonnet about big, obnoxious cars clogging up towns and cities with their bulk and chewing up the roads with their massive weight and massive tyres. And it's just getting the darn things in multistorey car parks and other practicalities hatchback owners take for granted.

Fine if you live in the Outer Hebrides though :)

I've read mixed opinons on reliability and some don't make the power either, or are said to not feel 550hp fast, but I'm sure by now the reasons for that have been found!

Nice! I'm rather drawn to Golf Rs for their potential. Even chipped Rs laugh in the face of R32s. I think it's time I upgraded :)

I hate to imagine whats he has spent on that. Seems very focused in 0-60 times.

Thing is for me what you pay for a 2nd hand Golf R and map it you could have a B8 S4 and map/pulley it and get 460bhp ish.

Im just strange though as I love silly fast estate cars.

I think he's American? In which case, yep, very focussed on 1/4 miles and every last hp :)

The B8 is the V6 Supercharged one? Are they cheaper than a Golf R? Jeez, didn't realise that.

Read good things about those B8s. Got a trick Eaton blower on it and twin chargecoolers, very nice. I know what you mean about fast estates, I like them too!

Did you see the Chris Harris video of a chipped B8 beating obliterating a V8 RS4?

I hate to imagine whats he has spent on that. Seems very focused in 0-60 times.

Thing is for me what you pay for a 2nd hand Golf R and map it you could have a B8 S4 and map/pulley it and get 460bhp ish.

Im just strange though as I love silly fast estate cars.

Not just you. The ultimate blend of practicality, performance, and the whole 'Q' car thing. Would have avant/estate/touring versions of most of the performance cars - certainly all of the Audi RS4/RS6's.