ausgolfer

Noisy rad fan.

Only one way to find out, is to have a go at it.

What's the worst that can happen, either get nosier or stop working altogether.

The worst that can happen is that it seizes and catches fire. No joke, it's happened to me twice! They're downright dangerous IMO.

Bin it and replace with a single-stage Spal fan wired direct to the rad sender.

Stone

I'm sure you can replace the bearings, I just have no idea why you'd want to. The coolant system is already hopelessly overcomplicated, there are so many different points of failure that you've got little hope of ever having it all working at once. Plus, when it fails, it tends to do so in a way that endangers your engine (or your whole car), and even if you save the vehicle the parts costs are horrific. Think a set of genuine fans cost me over £400 with the VAT last time, never again! :nono:

Stone

The worst that can happen is that it seizes and catches fire. No joke, it's happened to me twice!

Stone

sorry but I had a little chuckle at this with sankys comment , all jokes aside that's pretty much the worst thing that could happen!

Honestly after this mornings drama I agree!

I've been driving my G60 daily for nearly a year now. And I seem to have a new issue each week.

Last month the throttle broke. Constant danger of overheating on top of the noisy rad fan.

And this morning the fuel hose and clamp jumped the spool and started leaking down the chassis leg. Could have easily lost the car if I didn't live so close to work(short trip).

Ordering a cruddy Yaris lease car again....

sorry but I had a little chuckle at this with sankys comment , all jokes aside that's pretty much the worst thing that could happen!

But it would have fixed the whine of the fan :-)

Edited by sankysvr6

You're right, when it's melted into a solid lump that glows dull orange it's almost totally silent. My swearing, on the other hand...not quite so silent :bad-words:

My fan on my vr is noisy on the fan there well looks to be a rubber ring

what should sit snug on something. Id have.to get a pic to shpw ypu all.

There are plastic fan 'guides' that clip into the metal radiator fan housing - I suppose it's possible one of these has broken and come loose? If it is one of these, they are still available from VW and not very expensive.

Bin it and replace with a single-stage Spal fan wired direct to the rad sender.

Stone

Stone. This mod you're suggesting sounds good. Would that do away with the sensor that sits up near the intake manifold? I'm not even sure mine works.

you can just connect it to the rad fan connector bridging the wires for speed 1 & 2. Bear in mind that the fans will always receive the full 12V so will be on at full speed for maximum cooling. I have aircon in mine and have fitted 2 spal fans, perhaps a bit of overkill!

After having a slightly noisy fan and ignoring it as it didn't sound that bad, I could have paid the consequence over the weekend when mine melted leaving a lovely smell and some nasty smoke. Luckily, it never caught fire but it did make me pretty concerned that something so simple could endanger the entire car!

Morale of the story, if the fan is even slightly noisy, don't ignore it!

Like I said, the worst that can happen is they catch fire...I've kept a ten-mil spanner in the door pocket for rapid battery disconnection ever since the first time, which is what saved the car the second time.

I removed the fan controller too, replacing it with a single 40A relay plumbed into a low-temp single-stage switch in the (M22) sensor hole in the lower-right corner of the rad. When I get around to it I'll run two more wires to run the aux coolant pump whenever the fan's on, which should help as it still overheats (slowly) in town traffic when the engine's idling and the main water pump isn't running that quickly.

Be aware: if you remove the fan controller you may lose the live feed to one of the thermostat housing sensors, which will cause a VAG-com error and occasional difficulty starting (as the ECU assumes a coolant temp of 70℃ when the signal's absent). When I get around to removing the remnants of the harness I'll replace it...

Stone

Ordering a cruddy Yaris lease car again....

think you just nailed the worst thing that could happen