maff

Saving a storm

Well I took a chance on a storm which was dropped off this morning and where do I start, the car has many problems but the main problem is the passenger side sill with looks like it's been attacked by a large rat!

On a positive note the drivers side is pretty rot free, interior is good and it has 126,000 on the clock. The engine runs but has a gas conversion which I am looking to take off asap, engine is also very noisy and I suspect the chain tensioner has broken up and blocked the oil pump as the oil light is flashing. The sump will be coming off later this week for inspection.

I must getting really sentimental about corrados these days as I really want to bring this one back to life!

And I also still have my green vr6 but a having friend with thier own garage can seriously help along the road to storm recovery.

Here's a pic of when it was delivered and also the extent of rot in the sill.

Luckily the floor pan looks ok as I've had the carpet up but it's the inner sill that's looks a problem, will be deciding this week if it's worth saving?! be interesting to see what other folks would do in this situation:-)

image_zps55234fea.jpg

image_zps48cb10f5.jpg

image_zps85443799.jpg

Edited by maff

Cheers clumpy, thats a good start, in fact i might even start a vote.. save or scrap!

Was a bit worried about the inner sill as its part of the chassis along side of the car. I've got a good bodywork guy that is no way cheap but would do a proper job so i'll price up what it will cost me soon.

Shouldn't be too shocking mate the actual price of the sill for what it is may be more of a shock if that's the only issue and everything else is good ie foglight's/ indi's, Interior suspension/brakes/running gear if all this is ok bodywork is nothing mate MORE pic's when you get a chance I know you are a busy chap.

Can you still buy the sills new? if so where?, vw heritage? i have a cut lined up but would prefer a new one

Save it mate. Mine was in a far worse state than that (although no real rust) and it's not even a real Storm! The satisfaction come the end is worth it trust me. :thumbleft:

I agree, as somebody else who has rescued a potential skip filler, it is hugely satisfying to get it back up and running in decent condition!

Save it. Mine was much worse than yours and just passed mot yesterday so got to drive it for the first time :) My rear panel was rotten and drivers sill because of a dodgy repair in 2009 when the car was written off. TBH the car should have been scrapped but i wanted a car to retore and keep me busy for a year or 2. I bought the panels from a forum member who made the cuts i wanted. You might find the inner sill is ok as there is 3 sections to sill and the edge of inner sill is strengthened. Tried to post a few pics of striped sill but failed :(

Try again gNo, would be a great help in understanding how its all fixed together:-)

I'll take some more pics of the car today and post them up, liking the saves so far though!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78200[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78189[/ATTACH][[ATTACH=CONFIG]78190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78192[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78197[/ATTACH]

A few pictures to show you can save almost anything if you are prepared to spend the time repairing it. Hope these give you a better idea of how the sills are put together (built like a tank)The piece in pic 4 had to be removed and reused because it didnt come with my replacement panels which came from a 16v car maybe only used on vr's for extra strength. Its heavier gauge steel than the rest. I have loads more pics so just ask if you want to see any more. Bought the car in August 2012 never drove it till yesterday. Still loads to do but a least its on the road now and not in the scrap yard.

Seriously impressed with the work you guys are putting in with these old cars. Makes me proud to be part of the forum, but a big embarrassed by my moaning about the few niggles in mine!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78200[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78189[/ATTACH][[ATTACH=CONFIG]78190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78192[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78196[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]78197[/ATTACH]

A few pictures to show you can save almost anything if you are prepared to spend the time repairing it. Hope these give you a better idea of how the sills are put together (built like a tank)The piece in pic 4 had to be removed and reused because it didnt come with my replacement panels which came from a 16v car maybe only used on vr's for extra strength. Its heavier gauge steel than the rest. I have loads more pics so just ask if you want to see any more. Bought the car in August 2012 never drove it till yesterday. Still loads to do but a least its on the road now and not in the scrap yard.

Thanks for the photos gNo, this defiantly helps me to understand how its all put together. Must of been priceless driving the car after waiting two years

I can't imagine doing mine myself as i can't weld but i would LOVE to have my own double garage with a beer fridge and lots of spare time:-)

Heres a few more of the storm:

image_zpsa464e005.jpg

image_zpsccd8b69b.jpg

image_zpsf3b8e23b.jpg

image_zps3dc87ea7.jpg

image_zps322f4057.jpg

And one of the green vr, note the wrong tyres on the front which will be getting changed asap

image_zpsdfb60701.jpg

Edited by maff

Well done for saving another one!!!

Apart from the sill the rest of it looks rather nice, i take it you bought it unseen?

Is that Mystic Purple or whatever it's called on the Storm? (It's only available on those right?) I used to have a Golf Mk III in that colour, loved it.

No I couldn't bring myself to buy it unseen, but for what I paid I can't see me losing either way, just need to get the sill checked out to see if it's worth doing as it will be a proper job! Have learnt my lesson in you get what you pay for.

Yep mystic blue is the colour and they did do the colour on the golf but only 250 were made in mystic for the corrado storm.