aaron1987

Confused, Cant't Decide... HELP!

Hi guys, awesome Forum you've got here..

My reason for joining is this - I cannot decide on what to buy!!!!

I've been a VAG man for a while now & have just sold my Leon Cupra with 260bhp.. Now, my choices I thought would be simple BUT.. It comes down to these two

Seat Ibiza Cupra with around 240bhp (1.8 20vT) or

A Corado G60.. I've found both locally & well priced. I've always wanted a G60 but then I'm buying this as a second car/track/weekend car..

Do I go for the speed & reliability the Ibiza will offer or go for a G60 & look cool?? :afro:

I know very little about the G60's if anyone cares to enlighten me? - Are they good track cars?? Do they break when pushed often??

Any info you can give me (weather or not it's biased) will help!!

Thanks guys & girls..

Corrados break a lot and are not as good a track car as the seat. However you will look far, far cooler.

In my opinion you now have to WANT a Corrado to buy one. Your life will be far easier with the Seat so you have to want a Corrado enough to put up with keeping a 20 year old car on the road. It's not as fast. It's not as reliable. It doesn't stop as well. It's hard to find replacement parts.

If I had to decide again I'd still buy the Corrado for the happiness it gives me.

corrado 24v, modern engine, smooth ,reliable ,responsive and old skool cool looks ,best of both worlds ( trying my damnedest to sell it too you )

Edited by mr lobitos

I opted to buy a corrado vr6 ,same as you shall I or not? Sod it bought a half decent car had it 12 months now and it is my daily to work and I love it. If you tinkering about then go for it. At least you get the looks off people when your out and about.

Corrados break a lot and are not as good a track car as the seat. However you will look far, far cooler.

In my opinion you now have to WANT a Corrado to buy one. Your life will be far easier with the Seat so you have to want a Corrado enough to put up with keeping a 20 year old car on the road. It's not as fast. It's not as reliable. It doesn't stop as well. It's hard to find replacement parts.

Well said. And I hate to say it but I'd probably opt for the Cupra too, or...

Maybe an early 16v Corrado with a 9A/2L lump thrown in (No cat etc) and a nice simple set of 45 webers. A lot less to worry about over the G60, less to go wrong, and would be great fun. PS: Before anybody says it, no, webers don't need constant setting up! Not unless the spindles etc are tired.

Neil.

If I had to decide again I'd still buy the Corrado for the happiness it gives me.

Disagree with the first statement a C would run rings around a sloppy cupra hatch in the corners.

Couldnt agree more with the second part though haha,

IMO bin the G60 and get a VR lump, the VR can take almost anything you want to throw at it. Such an easy engine to live with and can be pushed to the high 300's on standard internals. Not to mention the noise a Vr makes, undisputed one of the best sounding engines around.

VR all the way!

Disagree with the first statement a C would run rings around a sloppy cupra hatch in the corners.

Couldnt agree more with the second part though haha,

IMO bin the G60 and get a VR lump, the VR can take almost anything you want to throw at it. Such an easy engine to live with and can be pushed to the high 300's on standard internals. Not to mention the noise a Vr makes, undisputed one of the best sounding engines around.

VR all the way!

^^^^ what he said! Plus, stick a BMC on a VR & it turns into the growl into a monster roar when floored :D

Alternatively you could stick a 1.8t into the corrado. What your left with is your cupra power with the corrado handling :). I've been driving mine daily to work for the last 10-11 months (60 miles a day), hasnt missed a beat!

Agree the VR6 sound is fantastic. I had to have one for that alone.

Another way to look at it is this... The Seat is a newer car and you can always get one in a few years. The corrado is old now and the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find a decent one. Try a corrado now and the seat in the future.

Wow a better response that I thought..

Some mixed answers too!! I was going to buy a 20VT Corrado but the guy never got back to me.. Was on eBay & needed painting was up for £1500, got him to agree to £1300 and heard nothing more :(

I do like the idea of a VR I must be honest, but aren't they front end heavy for track use?? A 16v 2.0 is really tempting also....

What's involved with a 20VT conversion also??

Which model is the better base?? I'm a race mechanic by trade & worked in prototype road car development so pretty handy with the spanners

Hi

Guys you're missing the point

Qoute aaron1987

A Corado G60.. I've found both locally & well priced. I've always wanted a G60 but then I'm buying this as a second car/track/weekend car..

Unqoute

He wants it as a 2nd car/track toy weekend thing so i'm assuming that he prefers handling over power.

Yes i agree that a VR6 will give you more power and the howl they deliver on full throttle sounds very addictive. But do they handle as well as a G60?

Is there anyone on this forum that has owned both models and can offer sound advice on the handling differences between the two?

I own a mildly tuned Corrado G60 and although it needs sprucing up a little it still handles well.

I have never owned or driven a Corrado VR6 in anger so i don't know if it handles as good.

I have been told that the G60 Corrado handles better, due to having less weight up front, and are a more balanced drivers' car compared to the VR6 Corrado?

But on the downside do require a heck of a lot more pampering than a VR. And pushing 240 bhp would require a lot of work and TLC on a G60.

Hope this helps

Steve

Hi

Guys you're missing the point

Qoute aaron1987

Unqoute

He wants it as a 2nd car/track toy weekend thing so i'm assuming that he prefers handling over power.

Yes i agree that a VR6 will give you more power and the howl they deliver on full throttle sounds very addictive. But do they handle as well as a G60?

Is there anyone on this forum that has owned both models and can offer sound advice on the handling differences between the two?

I own a mildly tuned Corrado G60 and although it needs sprucing up a little it still handles well.

I have never owned or driven a Corrado VR6 in anger so i don't know if it handles as good.

I have been told that the G60 Corrado handles better, due to having less weight up front, and are a more balanced drivers' car compared to the VR6 Corrado?

But on the downside do require a heck of a lot more pampering than a VR. And pushing 240 bhp would require a lot of work and TLC on a G60.

Hope this helps

Steve

G60 over a Vr R32 over a Vr I've never had a drive of a Vr but have owned/driven a G60 with a BBM charger and even with bushes etc that needed replacing it was a little animal off the mark. The R32 is a whole lot different not quite as nimble as the G60 but would have demolished it further up the rev range. To do it again G60 without a doubt.

I've not driven a G60 but have had a 1.8 16v, and now own a Vr. I don't think there's much difference tbh. Remember the G60 is narrow track compared to a Vr, so will go round a corner just as well imo. Personally though, the Seat will still probably handle much better imo. It's a newer car and streets ahead in terms of chassis and suspension design, so not only is it capable of eeking more power out of it than either G60 or vr6, it'll handle much better, and be more reliable too. No one will stand in the spectator area watching you go round like they would in a Corrado though!

I've not driven a G60 but have had a 1.8 16v, and now own a Vr. I don't think there's much difference tbh. Remember the G60 is narrow track compared to a Vr, so will go round a corner just as well imo. Personally though, the Seat will still probably handle much better imo. It's a newer car and streets ahead in terms of chassis and suspension design, so not only is it capable of eeking more power out of it than either G60 or vr6, it'll handle much better, and be more reliable too. No one will stand in the spectator area watching you go round like they would in a Corrado though!

Only the early G60's with 12 gallon fuel tank are/were narrow track. The later G60's with 15 gallon fuel tank were the experimental model for the VR6 so I think they are wide track. I think this is correct, but if someone has better knowledge of this then please say so as good advice is what he's after.

Steve