southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

Thanks kip, so happy with how it is all coming together! Fingers crossed it wont be long before she is on the road!

The fan controller seems to be a frreat bit of kit! Gets rid of all that wiring! I got it from demontweeks ebay store

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301358361825

You can set the temp for the first fan, then the second kivks in a few degrees more...i havnt run the engine up to temp just yet, but have tested the fans using my soldering iron on the temp probe. The first fan came on at 42 degrees, then the second at 45, i will set it to about 80 when shes running, and they turned off at 35. Theycshould also do the overrun when the car is off but again i will have to test this soon when i run up to temp!

Sent from my LG-D856 using Tapatalk

No progress on bits unfortunately, still waiting for parts to arrive or be made! But i did get a new phone with new funky camera settings, only had a quick play, here are the results

37dc1c92d4c75823df32c1485499f974.jpg

ab0bce21f36928c85b18a2c6ceaaab3a.jpg

e2d0845298d497df0a2b0e696d9c33f6.jpg

5eede14296715e3fd684c998cd055214.jpg

989610bdb744000c3d31a9ca9f71217a.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Still waiting for parts to arrive! Hopefully not long to go! I now have working front and rear washers with the boot instal and put a better stearing wheel on!

d63f31bbfe8dc5112579c3ea69aedfd3.jpg

Right its been a pretty mixed couple of days...coolant leak! I thought i had a coolant leak from where the crack pipe joins the thermostat housing so i reseated it a couple of times but still had a leak. So, thought it best to strip stuff down to have a proper look and managed to snap one bolt and thread another

1f9b8ddcfbc8ea68ea742f543ecff9f6.jpg

Sorted new bolts out and put it all together with a little bit of sealant round it but again it leaked...getting cross with it by this point with some choice words! Decided to look at the downpipe whilst i calmed down a bit!

b01ee47ac7e4d10ce8ccef33ad725f32.jpg

44a06e432c95748514e33e43039b60be.jpg

Feeling better as that went on well, i went back to the coolant....front end off this time!

60cc29b890128a6571c95f2715411f51.jpg

This is wear it gets more complicated...this issue was not where i thought it was between the thermostat and crack pipe, it was what i think is where the chain housing meets the block. When i put the thermostat housing bolts in, they went in too far and caused a gap to form between the two (pictures will explain it better). I have now cut down the bolts a little more abd also found that i didnt have a bolt keeping the two metal parts together. Put a little sealant in and bolted it back up. I have now put nearly everything back together again and tested the pipes so far with no leaks (keeping the fingers crossed). So tomorrow all going well i can try to run up to temp at last!

c00b1f1298dc8ee27b7499a051f31209.jpg

9606012e63b9e63e57f947def8998397.jpg

eb6b312e2f6ae5f96a1cdb6be5b7df97.jpg

f5fe8589bb5c01ee8993029e1cbb0d2f.jpg

5f2f98eabac7db7e45ceb61351630a86.jpg

Massive thanks to switfkid, russ and woody for helping me with it! I was just about done with it all this morning!

Im trying Phil! But every hurdle i get over opens a new one up! I think all the coolant system is now sorted. We bled the brakes and clutch yesterday but that took about 3 hours too...after much investigating and strippi g down my brake system again, we gound that the prong from the brake servo that goes into the master cylinder was 3mm too long and basically closed the master cylinder when fitted which stopped is from being able to bleed properly!

Dreading what i find next now... Hows your stsering coming together or am ilikely to get shot for mentioning "steering"?? :-)

Steering is driving me mad, got a new rack coming on Monday which will be getting fitted next week

Well fingers crossed this is the fix dude! not long till VW now to get cars all sorted out

Hoping to run mine up to temp tomorrow with the coolant prep fluid in, then if that all goes well, fill with coolant and see what happens, think I have a misfire so hopefully that will be a simple spark plug swap out...

Aaaaaaaaaaand the next problem.....what i thought was the missfire is actually worse, i have no spark on 1 2 and 3, only 4 5 and 6. Will this ever come together???

Thats what i was hoping...we unplugged 1 2 and 3 which didnt change the engine tone at all whilst running, then 4 5 and 6 did change it. Swapped the coil packs across from 4 5 and 6 into 1 2 and 3 and same problem. A mate is coming up later with a multi meter to check we are getting power up to the first 3 as the second 3 are fine. All spark plugs and coilpacks are working fine which i suppose is a good thing, but now i need to work out whats happening with the wiring!

On the plus side, pretty much got her back together again!

fd8dcee3e26cc6b0a271e2df5eed0add.jpg

Also, what is the best way to bleed the coolant system? I am running waterless coolant and trying to get rid of all the air from the system

Run up to temp with the expansion tank cap off, and massage the hoses when it starts getting hot. I tend to rev it to about 2.5k rpm for 30 secs the idle for 30 secs whilst massaging. Never once had a problem on any car doing it this way.

Nice one, cheers dude, i have put the car back down on the wheels so she isnt in the air anymore which might help too

Forgot to add, once it's up to temp (90) shut the engine off and let it cool. Top up if required when cool, and put expansion cap back on. Job done!