southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

Managed to get the other wing ready for paint today, noticed a couple of little bits here and there that need a spot of filler but otherwise happy with them.

a17253adbd0629afbc58f4baaa2de0d3.jpg

2d94ccdde875bf3f5f04bcef977568a6.jpg

Made a start on the engine too, started taking off the parts i dont need and finally cleaned up that rocker cover and gave it a lick of paint

b3f7b7f35c0db4e9e0bd2c0d8138ac4e.jpg

5ab4490aba28ad21880a5516d76ec057.jpg

dced73de403545ccda313cf249c49dcc.jpg

Nice bit of progress! What you doing about oil cooler/engine mount? I ended up modifying the engine mount, not sure why but I bought a vr6 oil cooler, a 4mo oil cooler and I've got a mocal... Yet I chose to cut the engine mount, I do question my intelligence at times

We are going to try and use the r32 cooler as it is a much better setup than the vr's, going to get the gearbox on soon and see how it all fits up...hopefully not too much tinkering involved...which cooler did you end up using?

unfortunately the engine mount wont fit around that oil cooler without modification. The mk4 & mk5 had different oil coolers, the mk4 is smaller and more like the VR6 and also I found the pipework clashed with the power steering pipes. I decided to use the existing oil cooler and modify engine mount (similar to pic below but without the extra bit) but mk4 oil cooler would have fitted fine. I had intended to swap the oil cooler over to the mk4 style and put the standard engine mount back on but there isn't much room to get any sockets in with the front end built up so got put on hold.

Oh and if I were you whilst engine is out, swap that outlet core plug just above the oil cooler to a blank, its a bit more difficult when its half built up!!!

GroteFoto-OLKN8COB.jpg

Cheers for that, will have a little think about this one, got a bit of time before the engine goes anywhere near the car thankfully!

The plan is to have the engine fully built up, loom, pipes, everything ready but off the car completely as i still need to do some deleting off the loom i think. So should be able to see what is needed or needs blanking off etc...any knowledge like that send this way though please!

AND ITS PAINTED!!! Properly happy with how this looks...start on the engine side of things soon (Russ takes credit for the painting - cheers dude! )

c9766818941fda2b2b2cf7cc8c0caf92.jpg

9b3d9803e59e85b37fc65e300aef1e7b.jpg

The battery is going in the boot to try and keep the bay as empty as possible, there are a few photos on previous pages of individual sections from start to finish but this is the general idea....

f813257f59aa331579e8f50911079511.jpg

That's spot on. By the time I've flicked through I forget what it looked like. Old age. Gotta admit I'm quite tempted to do this my self being as the engine is coming out soon.

I may well take you up on that offer! my bay is a right state.

Oh another gem I've found whilst scavenging in the scrapyard for R32 bits, Obviously the VR6 brake vacuum pipe doesn't fit so I found one from a 1.8 20v non turbo fits absolutely perfect, just needs end spinning round to fit. It might not be what you are looking for as its not very 'smooth bay' but I'll try get a pic if I remember