southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

Don't see to many smoothed rado bays where as they are very common on golfs. Good work looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Ive only seen one other, well 2, and they are both Russ's who is doing the welding on mine!

Managed to crack on with the bonnet this evening before i go to work, managed to get the sticky stuff off really easily in the end! Looks so much better just to not have sticky stuff on it!

182d0f935b7afd41c70bf272858cfabd.jpg

I rubbed all the foam stuff off so i just had the sticky stuff, then basically sprayed duck oil (similar to gt85 or wd40) all over the sticky, completely soaked it in the stuff, left it to work its magic for a few hours then scraped it off.

Just need to give it a final wipe down next time i get 5 mins spare

Are you planning to paint the inside of the bonnet? If you are be aware that loads of bits get stuck in the gaps and end up in the paint. This is talking from experience (gotta do mine again) best bet is to run some seam sealer or tiger glue in all the gaps.

sounds a good shout to seal it up first!

There are a couple of spots on it that I will probably touch up, not planning on a full paint though. Then just a proper clean, polish and wax

Looking good mate ,now get that bay filled so I can paint it..

Wednesday...Finish work 0700 Wednesday and will be cracking on with it! sure I was meant to be getting a tutorial on how to fill!

Will try and get those other plates sorted so we can get the rest of the holes welded up too

Started on the filling now, dont think its too bad for a first timer!

68b03341d408fe13d860d62a50e14e14.jpg0ae19849145e1914a903705f221edbdd.jpg

Had a trip up to darlington yesterday too to take my loom and ECU up for splicing to Andy Outhwaite (i know, took the easy route instead of doing it myself!). Proper nice guy and is very knowledgable and helpful! Also has some lovely cars at his place.

Getting far too excited now, it seems to all be happening! Even got the new engine out ready to start working on it...

You have certainly picked an awkward place to pop your filler cherry. Lol.

I kinda thought that too...not one of the areas needing filling is small or flat...never mind, will see what happens with it, can always grind it back out if its properly horrific! Haha!

To be honest you will get away with it being a bit rough due to the shape and the light will catch it in another way. I'm repairing the arch on my black rado at the mo and arches are the hardest to get right. Get a cheap rattle can and give it a thick coat when you think it's done and it will give you an idea of how it will look painted (hope that makes sence)then sand the paint also known as a guide coat down with 120 till all the paint has gone and this will help to show up high/low spots and show up any areas that need more work.

Try not to use too much filler, seen a couple of smooth bay rados where filler has cracked and it just looks terrible!

Decided against loom then, don't blame you. I have heard good things about Andy outhwaite but at the time I was doing mine I could not for the life of me get hold of him

Get a cheap rattle can and give it a thick coat when you think it's done and it will give you an idea of how it will look painted (hope that makes sence)then sand the paint also known as a guide coat down with 120 till all the paint has gone and this will help to show up high/low spots and show up any areas that need more work.

Try not to use too much filler, seen a couple of smooth bay rados where filler has cracked and it just looks terrible!

Decided against loom then, don't blame you. I have heard good things about Andy outhwaite but at the time I was doing mine I could not for the life of me get hold of him

Cheers for the advice guys, just done a little more sanding and about to apply the final (hopefully) layer of filler, will add pictures soon. The Loom was just too much for me to be honest, after reading through your threads and a spot of the old googling, I thought it best to seek help! I got hold of him through Facebook in the end, arranged to get the work done and had a quick trip up to meet him and drop all the bits off to him

good work buddy

agree that andy is a top guy.

know him from racing for a few years and he sorted my wiring on my seats.

He owned a well sorted rado back in the day

Yeah, I seem to have a problem with doing normal or straight forward things...

The Loom that ive got back looks awesome, Its all properly wrapped up for me, hes even added extra length in certain places to help with where I am going to be running. Also built into the main loom the Pedal loom for me which I didnt have. Very impressed!

what are finger nails? :bonk:

yeah, i seem to have a problem with doing normal or straight forward things...

The loom that ive got back looks awesome, its all properly wrapped up for me, hes even added extra length in certain places to help with where i am going to be running. Also built into the main loom the pedal loom for me which i didnt have. Very impressed!

What are finger nails? :bonk:

nice

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG met a great chap today called Pat who let me have a quick spin around the block in his r32 Corrado! What an animal that thing is, really cant wait to get mine on the road now!

Well thats one wing done with the build primer and about ready to paint, as soon as my garage clears of the fumes (and i come down off them too) ill have a go at the other side too...

6d4fe0a046b1059f1157cd96d3d92c25.jpg