southerner88

Aaron's VR6 - is now R32'd - that sweet, sweet noise! (Page 20)

thanks guys, no doubt I will be taking you up with the knowledge :cheers:

the VRT engine is up on ebay at the minute here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-8-vr6-turbo-VRT-engine-complete-conversion-mk3-mk2-golf-corrado-caddy-vw-L-K-/262078123629?hash=item3d0512ce6d

I am trying to get everything needed together ready for the conversion and try to do it in a weekend. Ive got the engine, loom and ECU which I need to get spliced and the ECU de-immobilised and then mapped. Initially I am going to run my vr gearbox but maybes llok into 6 speed in the future. Ive got the engine mount from the mk4 4 motion Golf to cut and weld to mount the engine with. Ive got the exhuast manifolds from an r32 which we will then be trying to build a downpipe from...

Looking to take the current engine out in the next few weeks so I can start cleaning the bay up a smidge ready, just need the VRT to sell so I can get cracking with loom splicing etc :cool:

What 3.2 have you got? The tt I reckon is the best for the conversion, the A3 (sadly the one I bought) is the worst!

Vince advised to get the immobiliser removed then once the conversion has been done and ran in, get the codes removed so actual real problem can be addressed and not accidentally coded out.

I kept the 3.2 oil cooler, used the vr6 engine mount and just cut and rewelded it. You can use vr6 oil cooler or if you have the smaller mk4 style cooler just use the vr oil cap and get away without modifying the engine mount. One thing I found with the mk5 style cooler was that the water pipes rubbed against power steering Hose.

I actually got some flanges made up and used most of the vr6 downpipe and just used some spare exhaust pipe to fill up the gap

Ive got the A3 engine too....FAIL! lol

Im going to have to get a list together of the little bits and pieces that need to be done I think...those are what I am going to be needing I think

Did you splice the looms up yourself? I don't have the loom for the DBW pedal either so will need to source that unless there is a way of running with the standard VR pedals?

Ahh gutted, I have 2 of them now! The one good thing about the 3.2 is that you can use either floor mounted or hanging pedal. What do you mean you don't have DBW pedal loom? As in you don't have fusebox loom or someone has cut the loom short? I have plugs for both floor mount or hanging if you need it.

Yea I spliced it all myself, I wrote a DIY guide in the r32 conversion thread but I've had to do more since then. I ended up wiring up the SAI, evap canister etc so no fault codes (except rear lambda's), which means adaption! Standard VR pedals are cable, only way I know of is by using alfa throttle body but no point really, just use a DBW pedal.

I have the pedal but no cables for it, think its the floor mounted one.

Will have to check out your guide for the loom splicing, Im sure a couple of mates and myself can splice it up..

In terms of conversion, from what ive seen and read it sounds a fairly straight forward procedure...I am saying that before actually starting though haha!

Well depends on which type you want, I was determined to use hanging, I didn't want to drill into the floor. 1 good thing about A3 engine is you can fit either pedal. The wiring is just 6 wires from ecu, this should be part of ecu to fusebox loom. Have you got the full loom uncut?

The fitting of engine is easy, it's the wiring that is a nightmare but at least if you do it yourself you'll know it's been done right

Your not a million miles from me either so your welcome to have a look at mine, that is if I havnt pulled it apart

Edited by swiftkid

I will have to check but I am pretty sure I have the full ecu to fusebox loom, don't think its been tampered with.

Ive had my engine in and out several times now already so not too worried about that part, its as you say, the wiring and all the little niggly bits.. fingers crossed Ill be starting on things soon.

will more than likely take you up on that one, seeing stuff normally makes a bit more sense...Ive just had a quick scan through your thread with rubjohnny on clubGTi and now really doubt my abilities to splice haha!

Soo... You decided to try the wiring yourself? I'll be stripping mine this winter so can compare looms?

Usual winter tidy up, I intended to chuck it in and iron out and hiccups before I properly routed all the wiring etc.

Dunno what your plan is but I ended up wiring everything in including sai and evap canister to get fuel trim working

The plan is (I think - Russ will need to confirm :thumbleft: ) going sort of smooth bay and remove everything that isn't needed - what that includes I don't have clue!

I am thinking that possibly be best to splice the loom completely, and then delete things off if not needed? I will be getting the Corrado Loom out within the next couple of weeks as long as I don't have to keep covering night shifts at work!

When its out, I'll look for some of those wiring/splicing diagrams and determine if its well over my head or not, don't want to completely eff it up!

Haha, yea its my intention to do some smoothing but never welded in my life so I'll have to get practicing, nothing major just want it to look factory clean.

Like I said previously, I didn't touch the corrado loom, I went to upullit (scrapyard near york if you havn't heard of it, like a candy shop for cars) and snipped the plugs off. Theres a mk3 golf in at the moment you could get the loom out of, I'm going up this weekend for parts. People talk about splicing but all it actually is, is putting the F, G1 & G2 plugs onto the R32 loom and making sure the right wires have power. I know that makes it sound a lot easier but I'm glad I did it myself and seeing what Russ has built I'm sure between you both, you'd easily be able to sort it

Precisely, thats all people mean when they say splicing. All you are actually doing is converting the R32 loom to plug into the Corrado fusebox, the splicing bit is just removing the plugs from the Corrado loom (or any CE2 loom) and adding them to the R32 loom. I think the plugs I used were F, G1, G2, Z and Earth, K-line (small single plug), aux water pump (small yellow double plug) and maybe another 1 or 2.

I bought all new terminals from this guy (very helpful):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/3waycomp?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

and this crimping tool:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimping-Pliers-Removable-Attachments-Crimper/dp/B008DSP2BS/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1447159437&sr=8-20&keywords=crimping+tool

Cheers for the above, will have a look into the parts and try and decide whether to have a crack myself or not :smug:

Hopefully get some time on the car today when ive finished this night shift, try and get everything stripped out of the bay - photos to follow...

Got some more done today, cut loads of bits that are no longer needed and scuffed it all up ready for some welding...

d90ea0d5fc191f1ad6d0f3028ff2feb6.jpg

8e3912b65d3b8bccab3a2070807e994b.jpg

6c556639b3a86438efa2ef37b4aa38ab.jpg

cac99581a78e72f89df80123c2013506.jpg

And i am attacking this nasty stuff tonight!!

dedb27691876494d95cd2276c0830788.jpg

Don't see to many smoothed rado bays where as they are very common on golfs. Good work looking forward to seeing how it comes out.