Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Front engine mount

Replaced the front engine mount not that long ago after thinking that the engine was moving up at the front just wee bit too much when revving the car while stationary. The new one has made no difference. I now wish I had gone for a upgraded front mount.

Is there anything I can do to firm it up or am I stuck with the way it is.

P.S. all the other mounts have been replaced too.

cheers

simon

ive got turn2 engine mounts on the vr6,they are pretty cheap,but if i had some spare cash i will be getting vibratechnic mounts

I picked up a vibratechnics front mount at inters and fitted it last weekend, it made a hell of a difference, gear change was better, engine response seemed crisper and brakes seem to have more bite, I'm extremely happy with it, there was nothing wrong with the original either, what a difference!

I just fitted a Vibratechnics racing mount over the weekend. Cost a lot of money (about £135 IIRC :( ) Has made a huge difference to the feel of the car going up through the gears- feels much more precise. I used to hate nailing it in first gear because it never pulled properly because the engine was wallowing around so much- now it just feels tight as the proverbial nuns chuff.

The downsides are the engine feels a little noisier and more metallic from the inside- presumably because there is much less rubber to damp the vibrations down- nothing too bad though- its just enough to be obvious.

Mike

How do the ployurethane inserts fit and how much? Is it a press out and in job? Don't fancy the egg shaped bonnet happening any time soon, and can't afford the vibratech. Ta.

Replaced the front engine mount not that long ago after thinking that the engine was moving up at the front just wee bit too much when revving the car while stationary. The new one has made no difference. I now wish I had gone for a upgraded front mount.

Is there anything I can do to firm it up or am I stuck with the way it is.

P.S. all the other mounts have been replaced too.

cheers

simon

Take the mount out and fill the holes with sections of metal rod, I think the holes are about 8mm diameter. That'll stiffen it up nicely! The bottom portion of the mount (the one that absorbs vertical movement) will still be soft though as they can't be modded.

The turn2 bottom mount is like a hockey puck and bloody hard and the upper mount is the same shape and size as standard, but poly.

I've tried all 3 methods and found VibraTechnics to be the best solution - by miles :lol:

Much as I took a LOT of persuading, I've had a VT engine mount fitted to my VR, at the same time as the Schrick went on (keeping that extra slug of torque under control)..

I can definitely recomend it. I'm not really into putting uprated mounts on, but this has improved the gearchange, and made the front end feel a little tighter all round. Plus, as it's the front engine mount, you can get away with making it much stiffer without really getting any additional vibration through into the cabin - there's a lot of metal that will flex and lose the vibration before it's transmitted round to the interior of the car. I suspect the rear mounts wouldn't be so quiet if they were harder (I know that the gearbox mount transmits a lot more transmission whine for example..).

I suspect the rear mounts wouldn't be so quiet if they were harder (I know that the gearbox mount transmits a lot more transmission whine for example..).

Nope, as stock with 2 x VT mounts.

The extra noise transmitted into the cabin from the stiffer gearbox mount is miniscule.

..well.. depends how you define "miniscule". It's liveable, certainly, but I was annoyed to discover that particular side-effect, as it takes away some of the classy feel of the car, IMHO.

It's totally bearable, you can only just about feel a 'tiny' amount of vibration from the engine at idle. and that's only becasue mine is running lumpy because it's not firing right and it has 268 cams and a lightened flywheel.

you don't notice any vibration at all on the move, but the car feel REALLY tight.

..well.. depends how you define "miniscule". It's liveable, certainly, but I was annoyed to discover that particular side-effect, as it takes away some of the classy feel of the car, IMHO.

Well not everyone gets annoyed by a 0.5db increase in noise level :?

It's a 10 year old car with 10 year old soundproofing technology.

I'd rather a very tiny bit of noise/vibration than sloppy engine mounting 8)

I'm going to pull out all my soundproofing so I can gear my lovely gearbox wailing. :)

Would sound better if you had a Maurice Reeves style Sequential box......

Straight cut gear whine...... :lol:

it's not sequential, but it's semi-straight cut, and whines like a biatch, especially when you're "on it" in 5th. Makes it feel like a touring car :D

I always thought the box in his black MK2 was sequential....... especially if the rumours about it's cost were anything to go by! Either way it was effective and made an ABT fettled S4 look silly a few years ago at Castle Coombe.

Well not everyone gets annoyed by a 0.5db increase in noise level :?

It's a 10 year old car with 10 year old soundproofing technology.

I'd rather a very tiny bit of noise/vibration than sloppy engine mounting 8)

I didn't measure it.. And it doesn't exactly drown out the other noises that this 9 year old car makes, for sure, but it's a less pleasant noise than that made by the engine for example, so I'd rather not have it, thanks.

Oh and I said it wasn't much, didn't I? Jeez, anyone would think I was advocating ear plugs!

You lot and your engine mounts, you're obsessed!

but it's a less pleasant noise than that made by the engine for example, so I'd rather not have it, thanks.

I'm with you on this mate. I think the vibratechnic mount is superb but it does make the car feel a shade less refined :?

Mike

Vibratechnics only transmit what's already there, so if the engine is running rough, it will be felt. They do not *add* extra vibration. Same with the OE mounts.

but it's a less pleasant noise than that made by the engine for example, so I'd rather not have it, thanks.

I'm with you on this mate. I think the vibratechnic mount is superb but it does make the car feel a shade less refined :?

Mike

Thank you! :)

I'm not the only one then! :)

Vibratechnics only transmit what's already there, so if the engine is running rough, it will be felt. They do not *add* extra vibration

I know what you are saying Kev but I reckon the OE mount must damp down/ cushion the engine vibration a bit more than the VT one- After all its twice the size with about four times as much rubber in it. I may notice it more cos I fitted a racing mount rather than the fast road one (On Vinces advice) so its an even harder compound than standard :shock: .

Mike