fuzzywuzzy

toad alarm problem (possibly)

Hi guys, just got my first vw and she's a sexy corrado vr6.. Buuut, as soon as u park it up, the battery is drained completely and it seems like it's something to do with the toad alarm.. maybe? Seems like the alternator is doing its job fine and the stereo is defo wired up properly. If anyone's got any other suggestions and/or solutions, the help would be much appreciated. . Thanx ☺

Well there's a few possibilities. The battery could just be close to death so it's not holding a charge. But I guess it could also be some kind of drain on your battery when the ignition is off. Favourites for this can be the boot light or the glove box light. Remove your parcel shelf (so you can see into the boot))and open your glovebox then close and lock / alarm the car and see if either of these items is on!

Would those things drain the battery that quick? It drains within an hour or 2 and battery gets hot!.. I've used 3 different batteries n still no joy.

sounds like a short with those symptoms. Worth putting a meter from the battery to earth and to start pulling fuses to isolate the offending circuit.

Agreed. Didn't appreciate it was draining so quickly. As Hasan says, that has to be a short.

I wouldn't put my face near that battery if its getting hot, its not unknown for them to exploded spraying battery acid everywhere, eye protection is a must and I'd drape something over the battery when working on it with the bonnet open

Surprisingly it turns out that the alarm is perfect and it's the alternator thats the problem.. I have a brand new alternator from my old 2.8 v6 audi a6, will this fit on my vr6? Thank you

check the wiring to and from the alternator, It has a fairly hefty +ve cable there. Also check the integrity of the thin blue exciter wire, which basically tells whether the alternator is charging or not.