robrado974

Fitting door rods . fixed it at last

I had another go at fitting these tonight and still cant get it right , Rob has the manual atm but iirc when i looked last time it does not show you how they fit together , im not even sure if im fitting the right side ?, white to drivers door , black to passenger side .I presume the plastic part goes into the lock and sits on the outside of the door ?, not on the inside of the skin ,then push the door lock into it ?. Any help and info on how to fit these without me ending up in a straight jacket would be very helpful !!!.Everytime we think its where its supposed to be ,it just goes rigid , with no movement .

Kind regards

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Not really , it's such a small hole to get your fingers in , let alone take a pic . Out if everything I have done on this car in the last 7 years , this has to be up there in the top ten pita list !

I got a couple of pics today , there must be someone on here that can help .

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

Im starting to wonder if i will have to drill out the rivets on the doors so i can gain access to these parts .

Well that plastic bit is only to lock and unlock so it only pushes the lever up and down. That bits the easiest bit, doing the door release I found an absolute pain in the arse. What are you struggling with exactly? Looks like you have it right in the top pic though

Thanks for the reply , does the plastic bit fit into the lock and then get pushed into the door ? . I'm struggling to get the rods on to be honest . When I've managed to do it , its gone all tight with hardly any movement .ive released the locking pump to get more movement too .Its getting very tedious now !

Edited by robrado974

I'm struggling to remember how I did it all. The door mech is massively fiddly, you have to prize out a catch from the mechanism and hook the rod from the interior door handle into it, the vertical rod will only need to sit in that plastic bit to move it up and down. You have to sort out the door catch first then push the lock mechanism into the plastic bit. If that all makes sense?

It's a real struggle . What I'm trying to do is , push the plastic pivoting piece into the lock , insert the lock , then try and attach the two rods while trying to hold all the parts together at the same time .

Nah, the lock goes in last, the plastic bit should just sit in position so get the rods attached, then attach the interior handle rod, then lastly push the mech into the door and the plastic bit.

Am sure I attached the plastic bit to the rod that goes to door pin. The rod just sits in the hole and I think the plastic bit has a clip on it. I seem to remember fitting it then having to turn it to engage the clip. Then put the bottom rod that goes to interior handle onto the lock part. With it like that you can pull it outwards and slip the lever bit into the plastic bit.

Dunno if that makes any sense but I have taken these bits off a few times and don't really remember it being too hard.

I've got new bits to fit so will be doing both sides soon. Not sure how desperate you are to do it. But I can get pics and refresh my memory.

Right , so when the plastic piece has the rods attached to it it's basically floating on the inside of the door skin . You then insert the door lock , so the metal prong slides into the plastic part . One rod goes up and the door pin screws onto it , the other goes down and into the central locking pump . So when you press the unlock or lock on the fob , both pins can pivot on the plastic part up and down .The long rod goes to the door pull , that's easy enough obviously . It's attaching both rods into the holes of the plastic part that is proving difficult . I guess perseverance is the key .

I thought only one rod went to the plastic bit. (Black bit in your photo)

I fancy taking mine off to find out. It's been a while so I could well be wrong.

No, both go to that plastic bit, I know because when you push the door pin down it pushes against the vacuum of the pump. It's all coming back to me now

076154000.png

Looking at this pic Rob i wonder if you are better off removing rod 8, attaching it to bit 7 and then poking it back up the hole rather than trying to connect it in the door aperture.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

No, both go to that plastic bit, I know because when you push the door pin down it pushes against the vacuum of the pump. It's all coming back to me now

If it's all coming back to you , get over to my house and fix mine , Hull isn't that far , I can't come to you as mine is sorn . Seriously though yes this is what I've been trying to explain . Both rods connect to it , that's what maks it so difficult .

Thanks for the pic Rog, very kind of you mate . I'm going to try again on Sunday !

Judging by Rogers attachment it would appear only the door for pin rod attaches to the plastic part, and the inner door pull rod has a separate attaching point lower down? That or I'm reading that completely wrong!

If anyone has a car that has the door cards off at present , could i ask you to spare a few minuets and have a look at how these parts fit together . Im at a total loss now . By the look of the diagram it shows the plastic part should go on to the prong on the latch and be inserted into the hole in the door ?. If i do this it wont go all the way in and the metal prong will not move easily. So ive tried the other way , but how an earth you are supposed to attach it i will never know . Also when i offer up the plastic part with the top rod in place it seems to be too tight against the door , i have two spare rods , when you put them together you can see that they are different , obviously left and right .Non of these seem to be right . Now i consider myself to be of average brightness , i certainly have alot of common sense ,i have removed a lot of parts on this car and replaced them on my own , but people on here are putting in engines in by themselves and im stuck on how to fit two pins and a door latch for gawd sake !!!,i do like problem solving and working out why something does not work weather its at work , home or whatever . You would not want to see a fellow enthusiast in a padded room rocking to and fro would you , im sure this poxy thing is going to send me there . Ok bit over the top ,but it is driving me round the bend . Any help would be much appreciated .edit , any more help I should say

Rob

Edited by robrado974

You have removed the handle havnt you? Because that will stop the mechanism from going in as the slam lever rests on the door catch lever. Like I said though, you will not get the full lock mechanism in with the plastic catch connected because the interior door handle pull will be impossible to put on.

What you need to do is connect the rods to the plastic catch, you won't be able to just move the catch up and down because of the vacuum pump.

I feel your pain I had this same issue when rebuilding my mk2 after it had been in the body shop they took all the bits off the old doors so I was left with figuring out these dam rods when putting the car back together it was 3 years ago though so can't remember it to well but remember struggling with that same bit I actually broke the golf equivalent of that black bit trying to get it to work and had to rob the black bit from a spare corrado door, I seem to recall pushing the rod with the small locating hook in line with the slot in the black bit then twisting it so it locates in the hole ! Sorry that's about all I remember well that and lots if swearing!

Hope you get it sorted

Neil

Thanks Jeff , I will put your info to use , when trying again . Swift I will remove the handle , but the latch does fit straight on with it in place . I was speaking to Rob tonight who has Matt8v old car . He had chrome latches and wanted oem ones , he swopped these over without removing the exterior handle . Not that saying your wrong of course , I'm grateful for your help .

I'm just trying to think of things that may be causing you problems. You said the mech wouldn't go in so one of the things I thought might be causing you a problem is this.

Oh and I just realised it's me and you diagnosing someone's car on Facebook lol