robrado974

Removing rear beam bushes .

Evening all . Is it just a case of knocking the centre pin out , or does the coiled wire have anything to do with it ? . I don't have the manual ATM . I have a spare rear beam which is going to be powder coated and it has R32 bushes in it , so these have to come off first .

Many thanks

Rob

I drilled through the rubber so the middle fell out then saw cut through the outer shell that is still in the beam. The only metal wire bit I can think of around that area is the handbrake cable clips, these just pull out the end of the beam.

I wanted to keep the bushes Chris as they are not that old and in great condition . Is there a way to get them off the beam without damaging them ?

Kind regards

Rob

You'll need to press them out I think Rob. There is a VAG specific tool for inserting and removing them iirc, which you could probably replicate with a bit of knowledge of how it works. Just finding someone with the right one!

Ok thanks Sean . I do have some oem bushes as I ordered them before I got the beam . I will see if I can get them pressed out otherwise I will do as Chris says and fit the Corrado bushes .

I got a price for pressing the bushes in and it was in the hundreds of pounds! it may be cheaper to just replace them.

If you don't use the corrado bushes and they are genuine, I'd probably be up for buying them from you.

Have you thought about popping along to your local dealer to see if they have the specific VW tool available for you to borrow? Seems unlikely they'll be using it any time soon

I have been told by two people now , that you get grease supplied with these when you buy them . Apparently I might stand a chance of pulling the rubbers out of the hole , who knows , I will give it a go . I saw my friendly mechanic today , he said he has a puller to get them out , so if I fail I will take it down to him .

Rob

Well I gave it a go . With a little gentle persuasion the pins came out , with no damage . A little bit more than gentle persuasion the bushes came

out too, happy days .

Edited by robrado974