robrado974

Stub axle dust caps . Can I get away without it ?

I ordered these along with some sets of bolts that i needed for my refurb on my VR . On offering them up to the axle they look as if the caps are going to snag on the bolts that hold the stub axle on ?. In the pic you can see the difference between the two . Or has the original rotted away that much and the new one is what it would have looked like ?. That still wont explain why they seem to snag on the bolts though and seem to be a loose fit on the axle . Any info would be great .

IMG_0360.jpg

Many thanks

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Hi Rob,

Those dont look like the ones I put on the VR, I'd definately say they are the wrong part. They should by just an 'L' section ring like the rusty one in the picture

Edited by ChrisL

Yeah i made the same mistake theres two part numbers for the caps one for g60 valvers etc and one for vr6s

This part is no longer available . Is it possible to fit everything without this part? Obviously it's there for a reason , but is it essential ? .

Many thanks

Rob

Edited by robrado974

I could Jon , but as you can see in the pic , they ain't great . I will clean up what's left of them and treat them with something .

Really thats the old one on the left jesus thats rotted away. They must be still available check vw heritage and classic parts germany if the vw dealer say they are obsolete

The one you have is for cars with no ABS.

The shield is to stop crap flying and sticking on to your ABS ring.

Are you sure the dealer does not have them in stock, as I bought a pair in March this year.

191501639B

I'm sure they are used on other VW's

Heritage said they were deleted in May . Tps don't have any . I managed to find one and that is from Tps in Ireland ! . If there is any interest , I may go to a local firm and see if they could reproduce these .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Looking into this now Goldie. I went to see a bloke I do plastering for , who has a engineering business . As soon as the one arrives from TPS , I will drop it into him to look at costings .

I only hope they can be made at a reasonable cost . They were only £4.00 or thereabouts from the steelers . But at the time of production they would have been made on a press knocking them out all day long . These will be have to be made by hand now .

Hi Rob, did you get any further with this? I'm rebuilding right now and can't find any unfortunately. Are they strictly necessary?

What timing! It was only yesterday that I realised i'm going to be needing a pair of these too while stripping the axle down on mine.

I'll definitely have a pair of you're getting some made up

Edited by somersetdub
error in text

For some reason ETKA doesn't cross reference to 3A0501639 which is the Passat equivalent, can be ordered from the dealers and it fits - don't tell everyone!

Removed link (didn't read the first post two pages back)

Edited by Dox

Wrong thing Dox, have a look at the first post. Non ABS ones still available but not those for ABS fitted cars.

I'll have a look at Passat one shortly, thanks!

I forgot about posting back on this sorry. He was happy to make a couple up for me , but said it was a pita. So he didn't want to make a run of them . Sorry chaps .

Will you legend! I'll see if they're still available when I order the rest of the bits I need next week. Thanks mate, much appreciated! :thumbleft: