TomB

TomB's return to Corrado ownership - G60 Flavour J860 PEW

So...while I mostly spend forum time on Pistonheads and some of this is a duplication, I have returned to Corrado ownership with a pretty standard G60 in fair fettle, but not without her troubles. Still where better to come for technical advice right?

Broadly speaking though, I've had her a month and the needles twitch like the have St. Vitus' dance, she kangaroos on part throttle and there's no charger history :). Remind me why I'm back again?!

So, new ignition system in the post, JMR will be getting a call in January, and the needles....well I'll keep thinking about those.

Still, if anyone knows the old girl, do drop me a line.

Cheers,

Tom

Remind me why I'm back again?!

We're all a bit mad, especially those of us the return for more punishment.

Looks good though

Ah ha,  found my old topic from....wow.. .. Over 6 years ago.

Well as my thread on PH is over 14 pages,  and I'm not typing it all out again,  the very quick summary is:

Went to JMR,  spent a lot of money on unexpected problems.

Drove it,  upgraded headlights,  added oil cooler, fixed bits and pieces (door handles, bonnet cables, top mounts etc.), changed clocks, went to Le Mans,  went round Snetterton, got caught speeding (oops),  had the charger refurbed again (and again after oil seal failure).

It got broken into last weekend and is currently awaiting attention at a bodyshop.

I have a list of things still to do,  and will keep updating here as well as Pistonheads.

In the mean time,  here's a picture from January.

IMG_20210102_121740.jpg

Ahh nice one Tom 🙂 Footfall is not as high as PH but we can give you quality 😄

The work you did on the supercharger and fitting was interesting - didn't you take it out 3 times so a bit of an expert on it now! 

Pictures have gone from earlier threads, I now host elsewhere (imgbb) so need to restart by own thread.

I do like an early style corrado on sebrings. 

Good to see you back. Yeah, it’s not too busy around here unfortunately - seems like most seem to prefer free of charge misinformation to actual Corrado knowledge.

This reminds me I should be updating my own car thread - I always forget! It will be coming out of lockdown soon, not started in at least six months so I’m afraid there will probably be plenty wrong. I’ve already noticed some nasty little rust bubbles.

Sebrings are where it's at - pity a 5 stud version would look all weird around the centre cap -  but definitely one of the best on a G60/16v.

I would like sebrings on my 16v but don't think they work as well on a late car vs the early car. Plus they have become quite desirable so expensive to pick up these days. I've got a set of Borbet Cs in 15x7 to go in it in due course - lockdown has meant it has been locked away from me 260 miles away. I still have the white one to play with here though! 

Thanks for the kind words all, yes I do love Sebrings, they are easily my favourite Corrado wheel (I had a set on my Mk2 GTD as well).

I made a start on swapping the doors over last night,  I think I just need to drill out and swap the mechanisms over.  If by any chance,  someone has a mk2 golf or Corrado window winding handle they could lend me, that might make life easier! 

Hope to get the doors swapped over to make it drivable. Any tips on bonding in a rear window greatly appreciated....

IMG_20210331_184346.jpg

IMG_20210331_184519.jpg

Hi Tom, I'm not sure on the mechs but have this job to do on my 16v eventually so will be good to hear.

Re the rear quarter windows I took screenshots of a thread on Facebook the other day that might be just what you need:d4c6149cda4fa1e86da09e88675c0775.jpg047df23e4b8411762d2da33dd3da2ca9.jpg1a79b1f836543a24d995446db58d137f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MJA said:

Hi Tom, I'm not sure on the mechs but have this job to do on my 16v eventually so will be good to hear.

Re the rear quarter windows I took screenshots of a thread on Facebook the other day that might be just what you need:d4c6149cda4fa1e86da09e88675c0775.jpg047df23e4b8411762d2da33dd3da2ca9.jpg1a79b1f836543a24d995446db58d137f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That is exactly that I needed! Thank you very much!

I'll take plenty of shots of the window progress to try and return the favour. I've already replaced the rivets with bolts on the passenger side, so that should make things a bit easier....

A few hours well spent after work today, means that the driver's door is off.

The actual removal of the door isn't too bad, it's getting at, tracing and removing the wiring connectors that was the pain!

Much easier when you've moved the fuse box out of the way!

The wiring looms for the old door and the replacement older door are different,  so I'll have to transfer them.

IMG_20210408_192205.jpg

IMG_20210408_202654.jpg

Nice work. When i removed  my doors I undid all of the fiddly wiring in the door and removed them that way !!! What a pain 😁. I only considered  being able to do it your way when putting them back on. 

Good luck with it

9 hours ago, Cressa said:

Nice work. When i removed  my doors I undid all of the fiddly wiring in the door and removed them that way !!! What a pain 😁. I only considered  being able to do it your way when putting them back on. 

Good luck with it

Thanks, although I’m not going to take credit for coming up with the idea....the doors I picked up from the breaker had been disconnected in the same way, and I though, “that’s a good idea!”

😂