Tobz_mw

opinions on corrado vr6

It will cost a fortune over a 5 mile commute. It will very rarely get properly up to temperature (oil and water) so the car will always be in warm up mode. Definitely a longer distance cruiser and not a short distance commuter.

It sounds as if you have made your mind up regardless but don't be surprised when it starts costing in fuel and parts. A lot of the advice given here is from experience and is not rose Tinted.

Ah sorry just seen this comment. I didnt really know that about the vr6s as said this is my first corrado and nobody has actually said anything about them on the warming up subject.....

Leaving a car running at idle is not the best thing to do unless you want to drive the car hard from the start and leaving a VR to get up to 70c can take 10 or 15 minutes, especially at this time of the year. The oil does not provide full protection until it warms up and it's viscosity improves. True it will provide some protection from cold but all manufacturers will advise getting in a car and driving off straight away. The key is not to abuse the car until pressures and temperatures are up to operating specs.

VR engines are notorious for cooling problems and at the age and condition that a lot of the cooling system is in, not letting it get up to temperature and run properly is only going to cause expensive and time consuming faults.

They should run at 85c water and 92c oil this time of year and about 10% higher in mid summer.

The ecu takes a reading from the water temperature and anything below 70c (if the sensor is working properly) will cause the ecu to deliberately over fuel in an effort to get the engine up to temperature, leaving the car to idle for 10 or 15 mins before driving is a waste of money for a start and driving from cold will not give the car to properly reach temperature in that kind of distance.

Do what you wish and I feel you are letting your heart win over brain here but be very aware of the implications of running a VR for this kind of lifestyle. We are a protective bunch on here and don't want to see another car broken because it has cost the owner a lot more to run and maintain than they thought.

Hell, 10 minutes idling and 10 minutes driving, buy a push bike or a ****e box clio and drive the car properly at the weekends!

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

Ah sorry just seen this comment. I didnt really know that about the vr6s as said this is my first corrado and nobody has actually said anything about them on the warming up subject.....

Cool, just seen this edit. Hopefully my post above isn't too patronising and you enjoy a Corrado for what it is, but what it isn't is a 5 mile commuter.

Cool, just seen this edit. Hopefully my post above isn't too patronising and you enjoy a Corrado for what it is, but what it isn't is a 5 mile commuter.

No its okay :) just made me rethink alot of my options really! because i do more short journeys than long, but i do completley agree about in not being your everyday work car but working 6 days a week i dont think i would really see the full benefit of owning a vr6!

Last thing i want to do is end up just wasting money on fuel and potetionally damaging my own car just for the sake of small journeys!

buy a road bike for work and the corrado as a weekend/long journey toy, limit your mileage to reflect that and hopefully cheaper insurance?

Or what I do for short journeys is is take a long way

Walking to shop takes about 5min there and back so when I drive I normally take half hour lol

Do it quite often and tell the Mrs there was a que at shop

My vr takes 7-8 min to get to 75degrees driving without revving past 2k rpm

With Evan one short journey I get the Mayo looking stuff under oil cap

I think when buying a car if this age, you go by condition and history rather than millage. A engine it's self shouldn't ever fail if properly maintained and regular oil changes. Engine oil should be doing its job of lubricating to minimise friction and dispersing heat. Wheel bearings, clutches and brakes, bushes wear but also get damaged with age and little use. Would rather have a well looked after hi millage car than something that has low millage because it stood on a driveway and not really thought about. A lot of issues with cars this age is the body and that will effect low millage cars the same as high. Mines done over 170k and have no issues with it really and is in far better condition than some low millage motors I went to view

Exactly, mine has approaching 226K on it now and the reason I bought it was for the overall condition of the car.

Ian.

I think I'm going to have to take the long way to work now then!

ha ha! andy I take the long route EVERYWHERE.......just for the pleasure lol

20 mile round trip to my local corner shop it is you know ;) pmsl

ha ha! andy I take the long route EVERYWHERE.......just for the pleasure lol

20 mile round trip to my local corner shop it is you know ;) pmsl

LOL, I haven't done that for a while - lack of time a lot of the time or just CBA - but must get back in that habit, used to do it all the time!

Haha i just dont know what to do! May even just get a nice shell and just convert it to quad cycle! (Like what richard hammond did to a gold porsche on top gear).

But then again it would be easy enough to get a bike and use that for the commute!

Just deciding really on getting a valver and using it as a nice looking daily or just getting a vr6/g60 and using it as a day off car?

Decisions decisions! :/

Haha i just dont know what to do! May even just get a nice shell and just convert it to quad cycle! (Like what richard hammond did to a gold porsche on top gear).

But then again it would be easy enough to get a bike and use that for the commute!

Just deciding really on getting a valver and using it as a nice looking daily or just getting a vr6/g60 and using it as a day off car?

Decisions decisions! :/

take your time & make the right decision for you m8

I love my valver, so much so in fact I brought it back last year when it popped up on ebay.

however if it had to be one or the other, & I had a similar commute as yourself, I would go with the VR & simply find a longer route to work ;)

it is only 12 miles each way to my place of work & I find that enough to get the engine properly warm in both winter & summer, plus it doesn't rack the miles up too much (I leave those for the play times round the clover leaf or country roads lol)

Save up for a better one. You've survived without a Corrado this long, so another year of hard saving and researching won't kill you ;)

If you're new to the car, avoid major modifications like the plague (such as Climate control) unless they've been done to an exceptional standard and fully documented, otherwise you won't have the foggiest clue where to look if something goes wrong with it!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Think i will just hold off for a while and have a good think about which i would prefer and what suits my lifestyle better while benefiting the car aswell.

Yeah the more standard parts the better really as i have seen how some people just butcher cars and there wiring just get upgraded parts working.

Would agree with that, I on my 7th and after having a lot that were pre-modified I sought a completely original car so I knew what I was dealing with i.e. with no hidden issues.

Agreed. Having had a few modded cars, you can just end up tackling all sorts of gremlins and fallout sometimes. At least with a standard or nearly standard car you know what sort of base you're going to be working off.

My last Corrado had the most horrifying DIY aftermarket headlight loom on it which had a knack for blowing relays or fuses whenever it saw fit, and one time after heavy rain I came out to find the headlights just ON all by themselves. The Corrado standard loom may only give you candles for headlights, but at least it doesn't do crap like that! :)

Slightly off topic but one of the good things about VR6 ownership is the fact that the engines are fairly cheap to buy (as I found out...lol) you can get a decent runner for less that £200 and there are cheaper out there, loads of rotten Mk3's about with nice 2.8's jammed in the front and nobody wants them as you can get way more power from the soul less 1.8T.

Personally... I'd find one with the least amount of rust (which I did), mechanicals can be fixed fairly cheaply, bodywork is expensive.

Rog.

Yeah just something I am trying to avoid really. Haha I did look at the mk3 vr6 noticing they are a lot cheaper car but then again I want a corrado than I do just a vr6 haha!

Another option I was thinking of was to maybe purchase a valver and have that as a daily car until I can get a vr6 on classic insurance then have one as a secondary car so that way it makes more enjoyable to drive as a weekend toy! :)

Yeah just something I am trying to avoid really. Haha I did look at the mk3 vr6 noticing they are a lot cheaper car but then again I want a corrado than I do just a vr6 haha!

Another option I was thinking of was to maybe purchase a valver and have that as a daily car until I can get a vr6 on classic insurance then have one as a secondary car so that way it makes more enjoyable to drive as a weekend toy! :)

I wouldn't look back at a mk3 nowadays (I did own one when they were new and loved it). But I do look back at my Corrado as I get out of it. The VR6 engine is the icing on the cake but they are all great.

Take a look in the for sale section

Mines the storm grey one that's listed on eBay

Had a lot if money spent on the engine and bodywork is as straight as it comes

Also paintwork is spotless apart from a 5 p mark where front mudguards were fitted

Take a look in the for sale section

Mines the storm grey one that's listed on eBay

Had a lot if money spent on the engine and bodywork is as straight as it comes

Also paintwork is spotless apart from a 5 p mark where front mudguards were fitted

Got my eye on it on ebay so will see! Got a feeling it will rocket in the last few minutes haha!