Mystic Blue VR

First pics of Storm

Steve, what a fantastic job you've (had) done. Its really good to see the car looking as it should. I've passed the forum link onto my sister & brother in law who had the car before me, they'll be thrilled to see it as it is. Let me know when you're taking it to any shows, I'd love to see it in the flesh. Cheers. Steve

Steve, what a fantastic job you've (had) done. Its really good to see the car looking as it should. I've passed the forum link onto my sister & brother in law who had the car before me, they'll be thrilled to see it as it is. Let me know when you're taking it to any shows, I'd love to see it in the flesh. Cheers. Steve

Many thanks for the comments Steve. I had a pretty sound canvas to start from so that's always a help & it really does look very well in the flesh. I want to get the underbody waxoyled properly before fitting the suspension. The guy I had in mind is no longer trading so I am seeking alternatives.

My daughter is getting married in August & we may use the Corrado for the trip & may stop in Derbyshire on the way down. If I am I'll pop in & you can be reunited with the car once again!

this has got me very excited about my respray, mines in for a full resto starting next monday!

I've no regrets. Worth every penny I paid & I never tire looking at it!

Good luck & hope it turns out how you want it.

Forgot to mention it also has the original Sony CDX600 cd/radio still fitted, along with the remote controller (naff!) which will be removed.

I'm just going through restoring my storm, also mystic blue, don't throw that stero away, I've kept everything from standard so can always go back to the original later on, also changed the speakers kept everything the same size and also keeping the "Nokia" speakers that I took out....

The paint looks lovely. The OCDness will now kick in , you will be checking it day and night for marks ! .

The paint looks lovely. The OCDness will now kick in , you will be checking it day and night for marks ! .

You've got me sussed! :rolleyes: Lovely as it is Mystic Blue does show every mark.

Your Storm looks sensational with the new paint. Always great to see a good standard car getting some TLC. I miss mine so much

Your Storm looks sensational with the new paint. Always great to see a good standard car getting some TLC. I miss mine so much

Thanks. I always wanted a Mystic Blue Storm from when I first saw one & nice to see that my efforts have been appreciated. With the exception of H & R springs the car is staying the way VW intended. Whilst I really appreciate a good modified car, for me, this one's staying standard. Next year I'll get the seats done & the brake calipers returned to silver. Hopefully the suspension will be on soon but with the daughter's wedding looming ..................... :bonk:

Hello Chaps.

A little while since I've posted, but here is an update. The car's been in to get the suspension sorted today. Managed to get the front end done & replaced both front tie rods with new genuine items. Back next week for the rear + new axle bushes. Also replaced the breather valve & hose, as was leaking & the coil pack as that was breaking down.

Drove home no issues. Pulled into garage & heard a noise under the bonnet & could smell coolant! :eek: I've had a quick look & it appears to be coming from under the coil pack area. Any ideas anyone? Also noticed that the fans kick in when I remove the ignition key but stop when I put it back in! That can't be right can it? Again, any ideas? I'll investigate further tomorrow.

Under the coilpack is the thermostat housing, can be prone to cracking unfortunately. Get the coil pack off and have a look, hopefully just a perished hose

Sussed the water leak. Dodgy hose/clip that connects to aux water pump I think. The car is back to VW X Automotive tomorrow for the rear suspension so that will be dealt with too. Also going to fit the new (old) original exhaust, which came with the car. It's in amazing nick! Also suspect that the front offside brake caliper is sticking slightly so that's on the list too.

Had the front wheels re balanced today as there was a wobble at the front which only became apparent once the front suspension & tie rods had been replaced. Feels great at the front now, the back still has those pesky coilovers! :bonk: Looking forward to driving it with some decent suspension on.

A couple from today. Johnny hit a few snags so car still in the workshop. Incorrect axle bushes supplied by VW Heritage & I didn't supply a spacer required for the rear suspension. Also Johnny wasn't happy with the condition of the rear metal brake pipes & flexi's so they had to be replaced too. Should get it back tomorrow. The original exhaust is really excellent! :cheers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82447[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82448[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82449[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82450[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82451[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

nice mate looking forwrd to seeing it next week

Thanks Chris. Just found out that the aux water pump fell to bits when Johhny replaced that heater hose! Fortunately, he had a working spare. Also leaking from the other heater hose, which I'll try to get for next week. Worth doing as needs to be removed.

Also have a slight oil leak from sump gasket. Typical Corrado. They're never finished!

Thanks Chris. Just found out that the aux water pump fell to bits when Johhny replaced that heater hose! Fortunately, he had a working spare. Also leaking from the other heater hose, which I'll try to get for next week. Worth doing as needs to be removed.

Also have a slight oil leak from sump gasket. Typical Corrado. They're never finished!

for sure pal if you dont sort hose by next week can use one of mine in the mean time

Well got the car back from VWX Automotive & I'm capped to bits with it! It's really starting to come together & all the little (& big things!) done to it are really starting to make a difference. On the engine side of things, replacing the coil pack & PCV valve & sorting the leak, together with a throttle body clean has really improved it. Lovely & smooth with a bit more poke to it. But what has made a BIG difference in how the car feels is the new suspension. With the work I've had done & the previous owner Steve, it feels like a new car. I think the decision of Sachs dampers with -30mm H&R springs is just right for the brief I had for this car. I like the ride height compared to what standard was. Maybe it could be a little lower at the rear but early days & it may settle a bit.

John at VWX did a great job in making the standard exhaust fit & it fits in nicely with what I want for the car. The underside has been waxoyled. Not pretty but I want the car useable! Look great & drive as perfect as I can make it. To be critical the rear beam is a bit rusty, as is the front cross member but I can live with it.

Off to the valet man for a good clean. There is a residue of waxoyl with dust on top of the paint & I don't want to touch it! I can thoroughly recommend VWX Automotive. I've known John for many years & he has over 20 years experience working at VW. Great attention to detail & very methodical. A fellow enthusiast too. Had a ride in his 423 bhp Audi S3 but that's another story!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82461[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82462[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82463[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82464[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82465[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82466[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82467[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82468[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82469[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]82470[/ATTACH]

Edited by Mystic Blue VR

Leave the valet till after the dash mate as the foam from the dash will likely be perished in places

Leave the valet till after the dash mate as its likely some of the foam will be perished

Wise advice, thanks Chris. I'll give you a ring later this week to fix up a time to drop car off.