Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Blue Joe's G60 - FIRST DRIVE!!

Jesus! - where did those pistons come from and what are they from??

Where they damaged when the cam seized?

They are *edit - were* Karl Schmidt Custom Pistons from Germany. Not something I want remaining in my engine. Racepower recommended them when they couldn't get the JE ones in a reasonable timescale. They weren't damaged when the cam siezed.

I don't want these back in the car when it goes back together. I'll be requesting they get the JE ones I originally asked for!

Sam - Stick with it mate. Everyone is waiting to see this car finished and think of the blasts you can have once its running right :)

Jay

you wont give in mate its a true labour of love as anyone can see , i had many problems on my 24 year old BMW M6 parts for starters some came from the states and others had to be made from scratch , 6 years down the line its a bloody work of art that turns heads were ever it goes and can still smoke a skyline from a set of lights , but now ive got to try and get my corrado to the same standard , things go wrong its all part of the fun in the end . keep at it buddy its worth it in the end :thumbleft:

Well - Once again I can't fault Racepower. They can't do anything until a few weeks as he's off on holiday. But he will take in the whole car, strip out the engine and start from scratch rebuilding it! As he put it, there has been too many faults so a fresh view and build is in order. So he is going to start again and completely rebuild it. Put it back together and give me back a running car!

Fair play I say!!! Just means I have to wait a while. But I'd rather that and get a car that is spot on!!!!!

glad to hear racepower are being good about it and sorting it out, they obviously care about their customers and reputation! you'll get there mate, and it'll all be worth it. anyway wheres the fun in having it all go smoothly and having no stories to tell at shows?

keep battling on you will get there in the end,, incredible this bad luck you keep getting it will end, and you will be smiling when you get near your 300bhp goal,,

glad to see racepower are coming up trumps and sorting this for you in the most hassle free manner,,

very shocked to see the KS pistons fail like that,, lucky they did not go when you were at full chat!!

Are you sure the damage wasn't caused buy Pre Ignition ? ie DETination / Fueling Issues

I really hope not. But don't think so.

What would have caused the pre ignition, do you mean was the timing out at all or are you thinking more of running lean???

I'm not really sure how I could cure it if it was running lean. We had set the CO Pot to run slightly richer than standard, but bear in mind it's now a 2Ltr as opposed to a 1.8 that would only be a good thing! The car was kept below 3000 RPM and that is run purely on the sensors in the car so I can't alter the way they fuel the car.

bad luck sam ,, but at least they are going to sort it doesnt look melted just fractured wonder if it was weakened when the cam seized?

keep going mate, i know how you feel. but it WILL be worth the effort.

tell them to get the behind into gear and fix the fooking engine!!!

im only running in but the grin factor is still high!

Rob

feck,

Just seen this thread Sam, not good mate... :(

Hope you get it all sorted soon... 8)

They haven't collected the car yet. Paul is coming up next Sat morning to collect the car and start to strip the engine out of it! Jim is away in Kenya until the following week so I imagine it's going to be a long time before its back again as now need custom designed JE pistons which isn;t going to be a quick solution!

ah, gutted for you man. I hope things will be sorted out as quickly as possible. At least they're doing this free of (further) charge, right?

Let's hope this is the last problem you'll encounter!

Well spoke to Jim @ Racepower today!!

They have stripped the car down and engine is out! Jim has re-calculated everything and has ordered new pistons!

JE Pistons have been ordered this time. Don't know on timescales until tomorrow when JE ring him back! But they are

83.5mm Pistons with a 22mm pin, 4mm Dish, and 33 Compression Eye

Basically it will now be a 2030cc G60 from now on! Should be fun!

yeah so do i really wanna see this bad boy! good luck fella im sure it will be ok this time especially as they cant really cock it up and you git the pistons that you wanted!

83.5mm bore? Woah, that's getting close to the limit there Sam... :|

Good luck! 8)

I thought that originally Jim put 83mm pistons in - but he didn't he put 83.5mm!!!!!

But heyho, I do like to push it to the extreme so I'm quite happy that they are that size!!! At the end of the day it's not an everyday carso why not push it!!!!

wow, this is gonna be explosive.

Just a fun fact: there was a guy in norway, which sold his "300 bhp" corrado. His mods (and how he calculated the effect) were:

- New intercooler, these give about 50-60 bhp on these cars

- He's "re-done" the g-lader, so about 30-40 bhp there too

- There is also a new exhaust system on the car, and combined with the k&n filter, that adds a good 20-30 bhp to the mix

- steel hoses, so they won't, quote, get sucked together.

- It was chipped, which he reckoned gave him 20 bhp.

:roll:

We even called him, and after he found out we posted the conversation on the norwegian car forum, he sent us all mad pm's, telling us how fat our mothers are, and how we're "finished" and amateurs. :lol:

Even though it's in norwegian, you can see the ad here.

sorry, back to topic :)