robrado974

Sometimes I really could .....

Stick a rag in the petrol tank light it and walk away . I get so frustrated with my car , trying so hard to put things right , to make it how I want it and how it should be . Que the Basil fawlty moment . " right you've really done it this time , I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing ".

If you need a break mate you can come leave it on my drive and I'll look after it.....

I thought i would take a saturday off for once and try and spend some time correcting the faults on my car .With new scrapers and window rollers , i thought my rattly window problems were over ,but no . A few weeks later both a rattling [along with everything else on in the car]. I had to remove the doorcards anyway because the front passenger and rear speakers had blown , i dont play loud music im to old , i think they had just had their day . I found that the plastic guide that fits to the guide rail and bonds to the glass is worn ,so by pushing the glass you can see it moving in its guide . Hence when you drive over the raised yellow warning markers on the road both are banging around driving me up the wall . I managed to get some tape onto the bottom of the rail and stop it from rattling . Then i fitted new membrane which leaked and leaked and leaked , no matter how much it was sealed with butty tape . Its still slightly dribbling now .Those doorcards have been off more times than i can remember, for different reasons , i hate the poxy things . Time to walk away i thought . Ive spent a small fortune on this car and feel like ive got no where . My dough would have been better spent installing a sub and turning it up so i cant here any rattles and squeaks . Its so frustrating that this has taken nearly all day and its still not right . With that and my starting problem returning too. If i had a lockup i would not hesitate to park it up and strip that car to the bare bones and start again , no matter how long it took me . Maybe im to fussy ? maybe i should except its 25 years old and have done with it . Sorry for the rant . Sometimes you have to vent your spleen .

Anyone who's had one of these cars for more than a couple of years, and does / has done 'daily driver' mileage in them will know exactly where you're coming from.

Persevere with it. You know how rewarding it can be when you finally get on top of a long standing problem with these motors! :)

I know what you mean Rob and I've felt the same a few times myself and mines all been self inflicted! I know you can't but I just close* the garage door and walk away for a bit. As for sealing the membrane - I've used Wickes bathroom sealing tape in the past and it's worked wonders. It's like a roll of really sticky blu tac very much like the original stuff. Feels permanent but can be peeled off when needed.

*slam

Thanks for the comments chaps . I'm tackling some more jobs today, I hope it goes better than yesterday . I also noticed yesterday I have a few rust bubbles , one on the roof , a small scab on the side of the boot and the usual wiper scab . I my just roll it off of Berry Head today lol .

Edited by robrado974

As for the rattling window guides and leaky membranes. Get a good adhesive, stuff for bonding glass, and use it on both and you'll not have to deal with it again.

It's the guide that's worn , it's bonded to the glass ok . Must be worn out with 25 years of use . I have the part no from heritage . I used the proper butty tape , I use it at work all the time . I've just jet washed the car and had no leaks so far . So that's good .

Keep with it - mine's a daily too with plenty of problems - I just ignore them for a while until I feel the love again.

Yep your right there . What i should do is not only replace the broken part but everthing else thats in a few feet of it . Then i would not have to remove the same cover part off 6 times to get to it .

I feel your pain! I am also contemplating starting from fresh and re-newing as many parts as I can. My rado has been my daily for the last 2 years, bought it on 62k and its already on 94k! Time to look for a sensible daily, park up the corrado, and take a break :cool:. Really is a love/hate thing with these cars

Totally agree with you on that one Liam . With those sort of miles , I would be driving a mk 5 golf to work or something like that , keep the miles down on the Corrado .