Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Minor niggles

Well I picked up my VR today and it's bloomin' fantastic :D:D:D:D:D

The car is in pretty much immaculate condition inside and out apart from a couple of dings. It's pretty dirty, but a good clean and it will be like new.

However, on my drives today I noticed a couple of tiny things that I just want to check up on with you guys...

It takes quite a while to start from cold, a good 5 secs of turning over before it starts. I can give it a bit of gas to get it to pick up quicker, but is it signs of a dying starter? Or just the norm for a VR?

The piece of plastic cowling under the bottom of the windscreen seems to be missing, is it easy/possible to replace? Anyone got any idea on price (presumably needed from the stealer? :( )

When driving there seems to be a bit of engine noise coming from the passenger footwell in an otherwise silent car. Could there be a bit of sound insulation missing somewhere?

Other than that the car is absolutely fantastic and I'm pleased to finally have one after wanting one for soooooo long :D

Oh the previous owner has also taken the inner seat levers off the Recaro's cos it made it easier to get to his kids in the back. They look pretty mangled tho, so anybody know where/how much new ones of them are too?

If it turns over well enough, but take a while to actually fire, it sounds like the injectors could do with a rebuild.

If the peice of plastic you refer to is fits round the wipere mounts, yes it is still listed but probably VW only. It actually comes in 3 pieces. That it's missing suggested a ham-fisted windcreen repair.

As to the noise, take the under-dash tray off on the passenger side and have a look round. see if there are any grommets missing in the bulkhead.

Thanks Mike

It's only from stone cold that it takes a while to start, it starts first time after it's even slighlty warm. I also noticed that the breather valve is also broken, and flapping around, could that be affecting the startup?

That's the plastic bit. I seem to have one of the pieces left on the passenger side, but the other 2 bits are missing. I'll give the stealer a call next week and see how much they want for that.

Some hands and knees with a torch action is coming to a footwell near you (well me actually) :lol:

However, on my drives today I noticed a couple of tiny things that I just want to check up on with you guys...

It takes quite a while to start from cold, a good 5 secs of turning over before it starts. I can give it a bit of gas to get it to pick up quicker, but is it signs of a dying starter? Or just the norm for a VR?

or if it seems a bit lumpy when it catches like missing a cylinder.......it could well be the coolant temp sender is goosed :wink:

I would give a try cleaning up the fuel injectors.

The best way to do is to take them out.

Or you can simply try STP Injector Cleaning Fluid (folow the instructions).

Well it worked in my G60!

Wohoo! :D

Better idle and more power! :shock:

I guess my injectors were really dirty... :oops:

Well I did quite a bit more driving today (forced to go out to a rally school :D) and the starting is just as bad warm or cold, but once it is started it seems to run sweet as a nut. So I would say it's probably not a coolant sensor, especially as the coolant temp gauge reports sensible numbers.

The car has only done 80k miles, so I would hope it's not the injectors, espeically as the idle is very stable. However the fuel filter could well be gunked up, and as it's the cheapest part to start with, I'll give that a go methinks. VAG or GSF/europarts for that? Any ideas on price?

Bearing mind my minimal mechanical knowledge of course :D

There are a few things on a service receipt from a couple of years ago that still need doing, so I'll get them sorted, but after my under bonnet inspection I found some weird looking stuff.... can anyone make any suggestions as to what's going on?

the top mount doesnt look to bad,the 2nd pic,it just clips onto the abs unit,theres a pic on the forum somewhere,the 5th is the bracket from an old alarm siren,and the 6th is how they all are...nothing missing there

the Serpentine belt is approx £25 from the $tealers.............meant to be changed at 60k miles or whenever it starts to crack etc.........tho dunno if you'll need a different one for your A/C.....can't see it tbh as the A/C isn't factory-fitted,but best check :wink:

blimey that was quick! :) Thanks dazzy

Top strut looks fine to me, but I've got no idea what I'm looking for. I have service receipt from 2002 saying it has play and needs replacing and no evidence that it's been replaced. Same with rear axle bushes, CV boot pin and brake disks.

The last pic looks very odd, I'm sure there should be another 2 pieces of that black plastic to cover the wiper motors.

Oh well, I'll make a list... currently on £600 inc new brake pads and disks and rubber all round

everybody thinks that the scuttle panel cover is missing.but i assure you its how they all are,ill try and find a pic of mine

Well I did quite a bit more driving today (forced to go out to a rally school :D) and the starting is just as bad warm or cold, but once it is started it seems to run sweet as a nut. So I would say it's probably not a coolant sensor, especially as the coolant temp gauge reports sensible numbers.

ahh but you see if the blue temp sensor goes.....it won't affect the guage at all.......thats covered by the black or yellow one :wink: check out this wee bit of info from dazzy http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... 784#120784

dazzyvr6, I stand corrected. Very odd, but good news cos it's something I can cross off my list. Nice clean engine bay you've got (compared to mine!)

vr6storm, yeah this is the thing bothering me the most at the moment because turning it over like that can't be good for the starter motor. It doesn't seem to make owt difference to it starting if I give it some gas or not (contrary to what I said earlier) so I don't know if that makes any difference. Have you got a picture of wehre that sensor is so I can see if it's come loose?

If the temp sensor is dead then I'll give that a go first, as I guess it's only a fiver or so. I need a new oil temp sensor anyway cos I have no reading on the MFA for that. Saying that, I can't seem to see it, I know it's at the top right with a green and black wire. Has anybody got a picture so I can check it's just not come loose?

The breather valve - go to a Ford dealership and ask for the one on a Galaxy VR6. Ford sell them seperatly, while VW insist on selling you the entire intake and breather pipework.

For will charge you £140... :shock:

dazzyvr6, I stand corrected. Very odd, but good news cos it's something I can cross off my list. Nice clean engine bay you've got (compared to mine!)

vr6storm, yeah this is the thing bothering me the most at the moment because turning it over like that can't be good for the starter motor. It doesn't seem to make owt difference to it starting if I give it some gas or not (contrary to what I said earlier) so I don't know if that makes any difference. Have you got a picture of wehre that sensor is so I can see if it's come loose?

If the temp sensor is dead then I'll give that a go first, as I guess it's only a fiver or so. I need a new oil temp sensor anyway cos I have no reading on the MFA for that. Saying that, I can't seem to see it, I know it's at the top right with a green and black wire. Has anybody got a picture so I can check it's just not come loose?

the blue temp sensor is just under a tenner........and i'm pretty sure they just give up the ghost as opposed to being/having a loose connection..........the sensors are on the front of the engine to the right hand side of teh block as you look at it...........they'll either be hidden by a plastic cover or you'll see a row of 3 sets of wires going into 3 plug-type looking things(tech term......honest :wink: ) and they should be colour coded too :wink:

Mike Edwards, lol it's madness, but good to know. I found that out from one of the past threads, but just thought I should double check it's still the same case now.

dazzyvr6 and off to the garage I go... :D

The coolant sensors are next to the inlet manifold in the thermostat housing.

The oil snesors are on top of the filter mounting.

The air intake air temperature sensor is on the rhs of the inlet manifold.

the blue temp sensor is just under a tenner........and i'm pretty sure they just give up the ghost as opposed to being/having a loose connection..........the sensors are on the front of the engine to the right hand side of teh block as you look at it...........they'll either be hidden by a plastic cover or you'll see a row of 3 sets of wires going into 3 plug-type looking things(tech term......honest :wink: ) and they should be colour coded too :wink:

Oop no, saves me a trip down there :D Got a part number to tell VW? Or is this something else I can get cheaper from Ford? ;)

I like your techincal terms, perfect descriptions :)

na sorry ain't got a part number.......but don't bank on it being cheaper from Ford........its only cos Ford will sell you the breather valve separate (as mike edwards has mentioned previously)

Thanks dazzyvr6 let's hope that's all it is, the thought of getting new injectors doesn't appeal too much.

Looking at the latest service receipt it has had a replacement filter number 021 115 562, any idea if this is fuel or oil? It was £9.31 +VAT. If it's a fuel filter it should rule that out as a possible gammy point, if not then it's definitely in need of a new one because I have no receipt for one in the last 2 yrs.

Oh and have you got a part number and/or indication of cost for that crusty looking belt/tensioner?