Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Minor niggles

Oh and have you got a part number and/or indication of cost for that crusty looking belt/tensioner?

serpentine belt is approx £25.........and i think phatVR6 is selling nice'n'shiny tensioners too...........with your existing one in exchange :wink:

serpentine belt is approx £25.........and i think phatVR6 is selling nice'n'shiny tensioners too...........with your existing one in exchange :wink:

Added to my list of to-gets... PM on it's way to phat :D

I'l have to work out the bugger comes off... easy job? I'm clueless when it comes to spannery, but I'm willing to learn and my mate's a dab hand.

Any pointers?

Sorry for all the questions guys, I really do appreciate your help! It's invaluable!

Sorry for all the questions guys, I really do appreciate your help! It's invaluable!

we all start somewhere mate :)

we all start somewhere mate :)

I'm now well versed in what to inspect when looking for a C to buy but this technical stuff is new to me. This thing still feels like a sodding rocket ship to me to drive, so I need to get used to it a bit before I work out if the rear bushes/front top mounts are in need of replacing.

The current plan is to make sure it's mechanically sound by replacing the bits I was talking about here, then take it on a track day to dispose of the crappy tyres and shagged brakes. Then put new on before I leave the circuit. :D

blimey that was quick! :) Thanks dazzy

Top strut looks fine to me, but I've got no idea what I'm looking for. I have service receipt from 2002 saying it has play and needs replacing and no evidence that it's been replaced. Same with rear axle bushes, CV boot pin and brake disks.

Mine looked fine to me too until I got them off the car today :)

One was OK - still in one piece, but did feel like it had too much play. The other one just fell to bits as soon as I lifted it off the strut :)

GSF do them at a reasonable price - can't remember off the top of my head, I have the receipt in the car somewhere.

The front end of mine is certainly a lot less 'rattly' over uneven surfaces, so for the minimal cost I recommend changing them.

They'll also sell you the rear axle bushes as well. I've just changed the shocks all round on mine (and rear bearings, disks, pads & calipers!) to try and cure the floaty and tail-happy handling, but if the tail's still fidgety then it's the rear axle bushes next.

Just make sure they give you the Corrado ones - I was chatting to a couple of mechanics who casually said 'oh yeah, rear axle bushes, they'll be the same as the Mk2' - then I got the parts out and they realised they're not!

Mine looked fine to me too until I got them off the car today :)

One was OK - still in one piece, but did feel like it had too much play. The other one just fell to bits as soon as I lifted it off the strut :)

GSF do them at a reasonable price - can't remember off the top of my head, I have the receipt in the car somewhere.

The front end of mine is certainly a lot less 'rattly' over uneven surfaces, so for the minimal cost I recommend changing them.

They'll also sell you the rear axle bushes as well. I've just changed the shocks all round on mine (and rear bearings, disks, pads & calipers!) to try and cure the floaty and tail-happy handling, but if the tail's still fidgety then it's the rear axle bushes next.

Just make sure they give you the Corrado ones - I was chatting to a couple of mechanics who casually said 'oh yeah, rear axle bushes, they'll be the same as the Mk2' - then I got the parts out and they realised they're not!

Yeah, I'm fairly sure that they're shot as there's no receipts suggesting they've been replaced and that was over 2yrs ago. Worryingly it also said there was a bolt missing from the front engine mount which again doesn't seem to have been replaced. Might get a Vibratechs mount for the front because I'm sure the mount isn't going to be in the best shape and I don't really fancy a dent in my bonnet :D

Gonna add them to my shopping list and a fuel filter too cos it's not been replaced in at least 2 yrs. Yay.

Also...any ideas what 'CV Boot pin holed' could mean?

errr pin-sized hole in the CV-boot perhaps :? :lol: :wink:

Ohh ok that would make sense... I was like how does he know there's a hole in a pin? Where is the pin in the CV boot? :lol: nowww I gettit.

Guess I need a new CV boot as well then...

As my yokel stealer (Vindis) is listed on the VW Parts Club, does that mean I can wave my CCGB membership card and get the parts at the rate quoted on those parts club docs?

Ohh ok that would make sense... I was like how does he know there's a hole in a pin? Where is the pin in the CV boot? :lol: nowww I gettit.

Guess I need a new CV boot as well then...

As my yokel stealer (Vindis) is listed on the VW Parts Club, does that mean I can wave my CCGB membership card and get the parts at the rate quoted on those parts club docs?

yeah thought you'd just read it quickly and not understood it properly :lol:

as for the parts club discount...............VWCCGB no longer get this perk......you should still get a 10% discount from them if you show your CCGB card......but there's no harm in trying to get the parts club prices too.......good-luck anyway :wink:

I'll be ordering lots of stuff (almost £200!) so hopefully they'll be nice to me... :D Would help if I had my CCGB membership card/number tho :( Oh well I'm going to leave it another week before I order stuff yet because my credit card needs to resuscitate first :D

Back to front top struts... what parts/cost involved with doing that?

Oh and any photo's for the oil temp sensor?

Sorry! I think that I'm done then. Just needs a few phone calls to get it all sorted. I've got a parts list totalling £600ish at the moment. And that doesn't include the Swissol Shield kit that I'd rather like.

Ok time for bed as I've got a long day of cleaning ahead of me tomorrow, but thank you very very much for all your help guys. Beers all round at the next meet/time I see you :D

Did some research today, the top strut mount kits (mount & bearing) is £11 from GSF so that's all good. Any bushes I should replace while I'm in there?

Dinkus, I'm in the same boat your in, almost, never worked on a car before etc etc. The two things you really need are this forum, the search button will generally always bring up what you want, and a decent tool kit. Without the tools its phenominal how painful it is doing stuff..

breather valve.jpg

Description:Is this the same breather valve that I can get from the Ford stealer for £15 (from a Galaxy VR)

Interesting questions here from my point of view as a novice to the Corrado.

My Samco hose kit is all fitted bar one small s-shaped hose which is supposed to fit in this breather valve area.

The samco hose lacks the 3 components the original has. What's the score? Surely you cannot dispense with the functions the original hose incorporates?

Any advice guys?

belt.jpg

Description:Looks buggered to me, any suggestions on price for a new one and tensioner

Another point of interest to me too.

My serpentine belt has probably been on for the 97k miles. It has hairline cracks all over it.

Presumably I need to replace it.

--PhatVR6 - Is this the belt you can do a good tensioner for? - If so I will probably buy one from you and return the original to you. If you have a belt too at less than the stealers price of X-10% discount I will take that, too.

Dinkus, I'm in the same boat your in, almost, never worked on a car before etc etc. The two things you really need are this forum, the search button will generally always bring up what you want, and a decent tool kit. Without the tools its phenominal how painful it is doing stuff..

Yeah this forum is definitely invaluable, I've been on here for a few months now so I knew most of the things to look out for, but it's a whole new matter when you have a car of your own. The search feature is worth is weight in gold (hmm how much does it weigh?)

Luckily my best friend is building a mental kit car so he has a full set of good tools and knows a thing or 2 about spannery, so I'm covered there.

metman, yes this is definitely the part you can get from Ford for £15.

Yes that serpentine belt is on it's way out, you need the tensioner to go with it, which is indeed the one PhatVR6 can supply in all it's blingtastic glory :D (or you can have a non-bling one if you ask nicely) From what I can see, the AC runs off the same belt, so hopefully it's just the one that needs replacing.

Also I noticed that my spark plugs were replaced about 23k miles ago... so they could be responsible for the gammy start up? I'll whip them out and have a look to see if they're ok to rule another aspect out.

Also I noticed that my spark plugs were replaced about 23k miles ago... so they could be responsible for the gammy start up? I'll whip them out and have a look to see if they're ok to rule another aspect out.

if they're the non-platinum NGK's.........then ideally these should be replaced every 20k miles......platinum ones are 40k intervals :wink:

Yeah they're not, unless you can get a set of platinums for £24.

I think I'll change the fuel filter, coolant sensor and plugs and see what happens. If it solves it, then cool, if not it's an injector rebuild.

I'm thinking a trip to Stealth to get everything else checked over is probably a good idea too. I'll do what I can first then see though.

Dinkus, you'll need to drop the whole strut out to replace it (top mount). This means removing the two bolts holding it onto the hub, and also removing the plate on top of the strut under the bonnet - the one the rubber cap fits onto.

For this you'll need an open socket and the right-sized allen key - should be 8mm if the shocks are origjnal (assuming they're the same as the G60). If they've been replaced they might be 7mm though.

You'll also need spring compressors - do NOT undo the top mount without the springs being clamped unless you want to lose your teeth :) You can hire these, you don't need to buy them.

Since you're going to all that trouble, you might want to check the state of your bump stops at the same time - if they're shot you'll want to replace them at the same time.

Probably also worth checking the shocks too - now this is frankly UNBELIEVABLE but I knew my shocks were shot - and when I took them off I found out HOW shot - but VAG did not pick up on any of the following during the service it had a week before:

- All four shocks were shot

- Front top mounts had excessive play

- Rear bump stops chewed to pieces

- Rear calipers handbrake mechanism shot

- One of the rear calipers wasn't working AT ALL!!!

Luckily I knew most of this and had the parts ready to change. But for VAG to not pick up on any of them is a joke - sadly a bloody dangerous joke!

But what I'm trying to say is don't leave it to a VAG service to highlight problems - when you've got the bits apart, give them all a good check over yourself :)

Thanks for that Blair, sounds like a bit more work that I was planning.

I don't trust VAG to do anything other than an oil change so I can get the stamp in my service book :D

I'm planning on a trip up to Stealth anyway, so I'm tempted to just say to them 'err fix it all' and give them my credit card. :D :lol: well maybe get a quote first.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive week!

You might be OK - didn't mean to scare you :)

We found when removing them that my shocks were the original ones it left the factory with (well, I wouldn't have known but the mechanic who kindly let us use his workshop did). 12 years old with 102K miles on them - not much wonder they needed changing :)

I'm planning on a trip up to Stealth anyway, so I'm tempted to just say to them 'err fix it all' and give them my credit card. :D :lol: well maybe get a quote first.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive week!

Just to warn you, Stealth have had to put their labour rates up to £40+VAT p/h, which must mean his ground rent has gone up.

So yeah, it will be an expensive week, especially if they find any nasties the previous owners were responsible for.

K