KipVR

Re-manufactured Fog Light Lenses.

I think Chris had two types made - one was mineral glass, and the other acrylic plastic. Laat I heard he was also working on a new improved version.

My opinion is that if we are just talking about re-manufacturing the lenses, then that is already well covered and there are options available - unless the plan would be to use hardened/tempered glass so that they wouldn't crack in the first place. If on the other hand we could get the whole unit with fog light remade by Classic Parts or someone else, then that would be worth shooting for.

I totally agree :thumbleft:

Si

I think Chris had two types made - one was mineral glass, and the other acrylic plastic. Laat I heard he was also working on a new improved version.

My opinion is that if we are just talking about re-manufacturing the lenses, then that is already well covered and there are options available - unless the plan would be to use hardened/tempered glass so that they wouldn't crack in the first place. If on the other hand we could get the whole unit with fog light remade by Classic Parts or someone else, then that would be worth shooting for.

Have Hella ever been known to run out another batch , wouldn't that just be great if they made some new spots and front indicators, has anyone ever contacted them ?

Apparently Hella don't own the license for the later lights, they were a once-off for VW, so they can't go and remake them without VW approval or at their request - god knows where the designs and moulds are anyway.

Oh got ya definitely one for classics then same as the window scrapers. Is that fact they don't own the L on the late headlights maybe an Investigation for VW Rule .

I'm up for spots and indicators if your listening classics.

Oh got ya definitely one for classics then same as the window scrapers. Is that fact they don't own the L on the late headlights maybe an Investigation for VW Rule .

I'm up for spots and indicators if your listening classics.

I believe Chris (SPRINTER53) is working on, or has said he knows someone who is getting the later style headlight lenses reproduced, possibly could be sometime in 2020 when they become available.

Si

Hi Rob yeah they were made by Chris (SPRINTER53) a member on here, I think they're acrylic glass or something, Chris has said we need to use LED bulbs only, as the OEM standard bulbs will distort or melt the acrylic glass.

I purchased a set from him late last year, and they are great quality, and look just like the original lenses.

But I think members/owners on here tend to prefer the OEM glass one's, to the acrylic replacements. Plus it would be handy having the compete fog light plastic surround assembly unit, as most are becoming brittle now after 24 plus years.

To be honest I'm in agreement with Fendervg I'd be happy paying up to £200 for a new fog light plastic surround assembly unit, like I say you can purchase a new one from VW Classic Parts, but it's only the one side that's available, it's been like that for years now, VW unfortunately just aren't interested ?

But if they did reproduce them they would sell out I'm sure, just like any other rare obsolete item/s, as long as the price isn't too high,

If VW aren't going to help or at least look in to this issue, then we've got no other option but to help our selves, and with great members like Chris (SPRINTER53) and DAVE16V, JIM, plus everyone else who've helped over the years, getting parts 3D scanned, producing parts out of stainless, making moulds for items, or buying in upgraded headlight switches.

It's about working together as a team to get the problem/s solved, which is why this forum is so important and the back bone to owning a Corrado.

Si :salute:

Well said Si .

Best not to put your happy to pay x amount, if someone was going to make them and was going to sell cheaper they could see Im happy to pay and raise their retail value.

I have come across a plastics manufacturer in Eastern Europe who sold me some MK2 golf big bumper arch trim sets plus side side skirt trims x2 and jack flaps,delivered for £150.00 and great quality , VW retail would of been in the regions of £600.00 . Two of the arches are obsolete from VW for the set and the side skirt trims.

They are also manufacturing lights, metal fittings all sorts.

Here is the seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-JETTA-MK2-89-92-WHEEL-ARCH-TRIM-MOULDING-4-PCS-SIDE-SKIRT-SET-2-PCS/174025490018?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They have risen in price in 1 month from social media and the great feedback, thankfully I got them for £150.00

You can see from their items for sale they are making obsolete parts for various make and models.

Edited by Keyo