KipVR

Re-manufactured Fog Light Lenses.

Yesterday, I have a crack in my 3 month old fog light lens, I wasn't pleased considering the price I paid for it!

I had a look on eBay etc, and quite honestly, I don't want to pay £100 for a second hand one just for it to break again. I don't even use my fogs any more in fear of the heat helping them crack again..

I've emailed Hella, asking them if they'd produce the glass again (one off batch of 300 pairs), but if they don't get back to me (I'm not holding my breath!) I'm going to re-manufacture them out of polycarbonate, at least they won't crack...

They'd have to be machined so they'd probably cost best part of £100 for a pair, but they'd look identical and last longer, and chips would polish out.

Would anyone else be interested in a pair if Hella don't want to supply, or even if they do.

I wouldn't mind having a spare, especially seeing the extortionate prices people are selling things for at the moment

Even though I have spares and spare lenses(not hella) stashed away I'd be interested in the polycarbonate ones

Yeah but you still have to buy the BMW lenses anyway Jim, which are £40 each and still don't fit quite right.

Great idea . I had a go at trying to find a company that would make them in glass a few months back . But had little success .

Got a reply from Hella Uk, they have asked Hella Germany if they still have the tooling for them! We'd have to buy them from a Hella distributor. I'll keep you all posted.....

This could be very exciting news. Have to find out about headlight lenses too. Hope they don't require a massive order!

This could be very exciting news. Have to find out about headlight lenses too. Hope they don't require a massive order!

I brought a pair of these from classic parts about 18 months ago, £56 each from memory.

I'm also hoping for this, have 3 houses in great shape but none good shaped lenses, and reflectors would be awesome too.

Most of all times the reflector is burned to bits, and the lenses are stone-chipped to hell but both parts is hard to find especially both sides.

My work buy stuff direct from hella and I've actually been chatting with a sales rep today so might have a word, see if he can be of any assistance

It would be great if we could get nice new fogs . I've just fitted my new indicators , the fogs look awful compared to them .

I got a reply from Hella, they are not allowed to reproduce them, not even the glass part as it's all licensed to VW so they won't do it. Early ones not a problem, which is why you can still buy them, late ones are VW specific.

"I see, that particular part we made for VW...

We made this under licence to them, therefore they never released it to us in the after market..

It still is a VW part, they own all the rights still to the lamp...

So on this occasion we have no control of this part

It would be VW (I know they have deleted the part)

But we can not get hold of this one at all

Not good news I'm afraid..

Sorry

Best Regards/Mit freundlichen Grussen

Customer Service Department

Hella Limited

Unit 6, Appletree Ind Estate

Chipping Warden, Banbury, Oxon

OX17 1LL

England, UK

Polycarbonate ones it is then..

Edited by KipVR

Is it inpro that make aftermarket ones?

If they can have the shape of the lense, which they must do. Then surely they could make them with a more standard look. I bought some inpro headlights and the lense is the same but totally clear with none of the grooves in it.