tom_rob_89

drivers side 280mm front caliper

As above I need a 280mm drivers side caliper ASAP lol. I started to do the 280mm conversion yesterday but unfortunately as i tryed to open the beed nipple on the os one it sheered off. So I spent all day yesterday trying to get it out with no luck (it is never coming out)

So if sombody has one that they can sell me ASAP that would be fantastic.

I live in prescot, Merseyside so if theres one close by i can come and get it

Cheers guys

Tom :)

MK3 Golf / Vento GTi / 16V / VR6 - early models with rectangular side repeaters generally speaking. Some will have been upgraded, some will be mix and match around the change over point.

Cheers Dox. The ones i have say lucus 54 on them so if i look on golfs and stuff and look for lucus 54 will it be the same?

Cheers tom

54 is the size of the piston in mm, MK2 / Corrado 16Vs have a similar calliper but the section that contains the pads and disks may not be wide enough for the G60 set up.

Purple Tom / lillfuzzer will have these if you you can wait, or a recon exchange calliper would be £50 - 60 from a motor factor. Most used calliper will have the chrome peeling off the pistons by now

Brake engineering is in Wrexham

http://www.brake-eng.com/

Right thanks very much Dox. Im gonna have a nip to the scrappy anyway incase i get lucky lol, because I really want to do them this weekend lol.

If you go to a scrappy look out for a 5 stud GTI, if it has a pad retainer (silver funny shaped pin) its 288mm, if it doesn't they are most likely 280mm.

No luck at the scrappy unfortunately :(. Quite a few of the less chunky "lucus 54" so thanks for mentioning that Dox otherwise i might have got the wrong one :/.

What side is this one ?

a95a9c25675bc000cba7d15a19106107.jpg

288b692500e4326236a56845280603af.jpg

ef0f653cb46776d6115e62d9d7174a18.jpg

I had a pair recon'ed a few years ago,but they could do only one,so the one that was rebuilt,has sat on a shelf ever since

That one above is a 280mm caliper. The 288s have a triangular cut out at the top unlike the rectangular(ish) one as above.

Both types are marked either Lucus or Girling 54, as that is the Manufacturer and piston size iirc.

As above I need a 280mm drivers side caliper ASAP lol. I started to do the 280mm conversion yesterday but unfortunately as i tryed to open the beed nipple on the os one it sheered off. So I spent all day yesterday trying to get it out with no luck (it is never coming out)

So if sombody has one that they can sell me ASAP that would be fantastic.

I live in prescot, Merseyside so if theres one close by i can come and get it

Cheers guys

Tom :)

Post a pic, what makes you think it wont come out?

I bought a genuine new vw 280mm red one off ebay last month for about £40. Result. Exactly the same as my vr one

Ill try and get a pic up of it tomorrow.

It just wont come out lol

We tryed everything we could to get it out we heated it up, tryed reverse drill bits, molly's and in the end the reverse drill bit snapped off in it so we just called it game over lol.

So if anybody has a spare 280mm drivers one with a nice free bleed nipple lol that would be fantastic

Cheers Tom

Ill try and get a pic up of it tomorrow.

It just wont come out lol

We tryed everything we could to get it out we heated it up, tryed reverse drill bits, molly's and in the end the reverse drill bit snapped off in it so we just called it game over lol.

So if anybody has a spare 280mm drivers one with a nice free bleed nipple lol that would be fantastic

Cheers Tom

Hay again guys ive had the caliper to my engineer mate and he says its knackered and its never gonna come out lol

So if any of u lovely people have a 280mm drivers side caliper with free a bleed nipple and hose in good condition could u please let me know.

If anyone dose i could do with it sent first class next day and obviously i will pay the charge.

Thanks again tom