Chuggs1

ECU Immobaliser issue

Tis confirmed as the ecu as tried all the other suggestions - thanks everyone

So Jekel - thanks and hopefully hear from you over the weekend - good luck with your car!

The immobiliser (box behind the dash) checks the signal from the key and sends the OK signal to the ECU. I've had many a problem with those before, when I did my OBD2 conversion it used to run fine for a couple of weeks then just randomly not start, usually whilst I was parked up in the middle of town :bad-words:

I'd try get to the immobiliser box, check all the earths and clean the plugs with electrical cleaner. If the garage has tested your car with a non immobilised ECU that only confirms that immobiliser is the problem, it doesn't confirm its the ECU. I havn't done it for a while but you can scan the immobiliser module in vagcom and it should (I think) tell you more specifically what the problem is, the engine module usually just says immobiliser problem.

didnt realise that this was already OBD2. You can remove the immobiliser box and fit an emulator. The drawback though is that you cant do 'live' vcds scans

Tis confirmed as the ecu as tried all the other suggestions - thanks everyone

So Jekel - thanks and hopefully hear from you over the weekend - good luck with your car!

Chuggs I've just got the remapped ecu out the garage in prep for taking through to Chris's tomorrow and it's an AG not a CP, sorry said was just going by memory, quick look on here is saying is for coilpack but AG non immobilised, CP is, so not sure if any good for you. Pretty sure thhe standard one on car now is also an AG, matched them when got the remapped one.

Looking at this post also a difference on coilpack wires if this blokes got it right :

Found this on another forum

For UK mk3 golfs and corrado's:

OBD1:

021 906 258 A, B and C is vr6 distributor

021 906 258 AF is 5 wire maf coil pack

021 906 258 AG is 2.9 5 wire coil pack

021 906 258 CP is 2.9 4 wire coil pack

021 906 258 CH is 2.8 4 wire coil pack

021 906 258 BK is also 4 wire coil pack

Ag does not work on cp, I can confirm that first hand. Ag is non immobilised old style maf (I think) and cp is new style maf, plus ecu plugs are different (small plastic tab to stop it plugging in)

Chuggs I've just got the remapped ecu out the garage in prep for taking through to Chris's tomorrow and it's an AG not a CP, sorry said was just going by memory, quick look on here is saying is for coilpack but AG non immobilised, CP is, so not sure if any good for you. Pretty sure thhe standard one on car now is also an AG, matched them when got the remapped one.

Looking at this post also a difference on coilpack wires if this blokes got it right :

Found this on another forum

For UK mk3 golfs and corrado's:

OBD1:

021 906 258 A, B and C is vr6 distributor

021 906 258 AF is 5 wire maf coil pack

021 906 258 AG is 2.9 5 wire coil pack

021 906 258 CP is 2.9 4 wire coil pack

021 906 258 CH is 2.8 4 wire coil pack

021 906 258 BK is also 4 wire coil pack

Hi Jekel

Thanks for info. So its not the remapped one im after just the standard - I have a 1995 VR6 so guess its the CP one Im after with immobaliser defeat. Let me know after you've dealt with your car if you do have the right one spare - if not guess I either need to get looking for another one (may try some of the Facebook forums) or get my ECU sent off to be immobiliser defeated. Juts risky if I have to pay for defeat to be done and find there is any other ECU issue? Will await your reply after you've seen Chris - thanks again for all your help

Out of interest what year is your VR?

Chuggs (David)

As my car is out with my mechanic and currently locked in his workshop - can anyone confirm the part number of the correct ECU for 1995 VR6 - then at least I can start looking for an alternative - don't want to order the wrong one lol - will hold out for confirmation from Jekel though if any of his spare ECUs will work for me. Sentimentally wonder if I should get my ECU defeated and hope for the best - not sure i should be messing with brain transplants lol! Saying that just need to get her back on the road - need to drive once this bloody rain stops!

The one my mechanic suggested from ebay has part number ending 256 not 258 (its the one he has been using of another car he is working on which is a Mk2 golf with a VR6 engine in it - it seems to work but revs high - whats the difference - guess revving high his just cause its off another car and it would learn?

Is it this one? - 021 906 258 CP is 2.9 4 wire coil pack

And in adverts what does "socketed" mean

Edited by Chuggs1

Lol yes mate. Going through a phase of waking at 4am.... Oh well some catch up on some old wheeler Dealer shows .... Thanks mate

Hi Jekel

Thanks for info. So its not the remapped one im after just the standard - I have a 1995 VR6 so guess its the CP one Im after with immobaliser defeat. Let me know after you've dealt with your car if you do have the right one spare - if not guess I either need to get looking for another one (may try some of the Facebook forums) or get my ECU sent off to be immobiliser defeated. Juts risky if I have to pay for defeat to be done and find there is any other ECU issue? Will await your reply after you've seen Chris - thanks again for all your help

Out of interest what year is your VR?

Chuggs (David)

Mines a 94, got engine fired and running perfect now, both ecu's 100 but both AG's I'm afraid and pretty sure that's no good for you, mines a 5 wire MAF. Good luck, probs a Golf one your bext bet, very few Corrado 4 wire MAF's around, maybe a Sharan or a Ford Galaxy would fit and probs be cheaper?

Glad yours is all sorted mate. Will double check how many wise my MAF is tomorrow. Cheers

Mine is a 95 vr6 and is cp, or was before I went obd2... And then r32. Golf ecu's don't work, you need a matching corrado ecu.

They must work or at least to some degree. My garage have taken one off a MK2 converted VR and the guy who owns it bought it from EBay was down as a MK3 part number is almost the same but ends in a 6 not 8

Yes it works to a degree but using toilet paper as running shoes also works to a degree.

My mate tried a 2.8 ecu with a 2.9 inlet and it idled fine but it didn't drive right. By all means spend the money but I'm just warning you.

I've been in the exact same position as you with a cp ecu, they are hard to find but unfortunately it's because it's late corrado only because of the larger inlet.

I still reckon it's not the ecu and that's it's immobiliser wiring related. But I can understand its time consuming so not practical whilst at a garage. If you really want to go down the route of removing the immobiliser, send it to vince and he will most likely tell you it's goosed straight away. Think it cost me about 70quid for him to remove the immobiliser from mine.

Think I'm gonna take your advice and send my ECU. To be honest it would be good to keep the original one. Is there any way he or someone can check the ECU to see if it is that? Think i may see if I can borrow the other ECU from the garage so I can at least get my car back home.... Then maybe i can have a look. Not that skilled but worth a try i suppose following the great advice you guys have given

Saga - continues...... Right just picked up my car from garage borrowed their ECU. On way home noticed the spoiler is not raising - does the ECU control this or could this be an associated problem? The ECU I borrowed looks like its from a Corrado as it end in 258 - the end letters are CH - what does CH stand (mine is indeed CP) for? - but mainly could spoiler and starting issue be related - does this point more towards a wiring issue?

I suppose he could have dislodged something from the spoiler control module when feeling around for wring to the immobiliser box? mentioned in a previous post

Thanks again

Edited by Chuggs1

Check the spoilers fuse, I'm sure someone else in the past has said the immob and spoiler are on the same circuit?

Check the spoilers fuse, I'm sure someone else in the past has said the immob and spoiler are on the same circuit?

Is that so - that's interesting wonder if this is the case - is that fuse 16? will have a look one evening this week. If its that easy - I should be so lucky!

Bump - any more advice on this before I go out into my cold garage and fiddle - do people think the two things are related and is it fuse 16 im looking at?

Thanks

8564757e78350e0d8741a719d800e0ce.jpg

There's no mention of the immob in the Bentley manual, but its based on USA cars so maybe they don't have one?

Check the other items listed for that fuse.

If the fuse has broken, replace it, fire the spoiler manually with the switch.

If the motor on the spoiler is suspect, unplug it inside the hatch and road test for a week or two before sourcing a replacement.

Edited by Dox

I do remember the spoiler module and the immob being right next to each other in the dash, wonder if a wire has come loose or the earth isn't well.

The spoiler module is behind the dash, near its manual switch, by the drivers right knee