Wendy

Number Plates

Hi All,

My car is finally painted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is not on the road or anywhere near complete, I saw her yesterday, body painted before any of the finishing touches, touch ups etc etc - she is looking really good. Orange peel seems about right although I have not been over her with a fine toothcomb - she was still in 'work in progress'. I am very pleased so far. In the right light the purply tinge comes through as it used to when I first got her - some 14 years ago, that brought a pretty good smile to my face. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished result and getting her back. Yes - this is much later than originally indicated, but I am OK with as I was not using it this winter (my first, so the last thing I want to do is rush the garage and possibly effect the finish.

Anyway - Number Plates.

The Bodyshop are suggesting new number plates always add hugely to the overal appearance.

I have a tendancy to agree - so wondered what the general view was on styling or not on number plates.

I personally would just wander off and get some new new very ordinary plates and wonder if I could be missing an opportunity for something a bit different. Perhaps some photo's or links if you don't mind. (Sorry but I hate bling on my cars, something quite stylish/different is more my thing !!)

Oh and what about the Euro flag - yes/no/ is it an option even ?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother with the euro flag, I find them quite dated now. Pressed metal plates are a a bit different from the norm and you can also gel resin 3D plates which I think look a bit cheap and tacky. But even just new standard plates make a car look fresh and ultimately the only type I would use on a Corrado in my opinion.

Wendy, have a look in the suppliers forum, I think there is someone reproducing exact replicas of the original dealer plates, so if you know which dealer originally sold your car, you could add those (and tax disk holder but don't think you'll really need it any more) to give it the authentic brand new look!

DMB graphics do the dealer set and I had them on my 2 mk1 Golfs, great quality if they have your supplying dealer info.

I get metal pressed plates from eBay nowadays for £20, look great and don't tarnish like normal plates.

I bought the metal pressed plates too . Or as Sean said , you can have the plastic plates , with the garage details printed on them , from when the car was new . A nice touch really .

Also bear in mind the legality using certain suppliers. Especially those from ebay. If they don't ask for identification or the plate itself is missing BS markings then they are not legal.

Wendy, have a look in the suppliers forum, I think there is someone reproducing exact replicas of the original dealer plates, so if you know which dealer originally sold your car, you could add those (and tax disk holder but don't think you'll really need it any more) to give it the authentic brand new look!

Think this would be a great for a freshly painted car :)

I used DMB to make a dealer set for mine. It is worth remembering that the pre 2000 font is slightly larger than the current font. IMO it looks much better than the current smaller font on a classic car.