Sign in to follow this  
Jim

BP Ultimate...

So I was filling up last night at the pump - i'm not sure if this is a new addition, but I noticed next to the BP Ultimate logo was a little '97' in a circle - looked at the regular unleaded and that was a 95 in a little circle.

So - BP Ultimate is basically just Super Unleaded then, with a 97RON.. it doesn't have the same octane rating as Optimax.. and Vince @ Stealth even said the he feels Optimax is the better fuel.

So... why do I get better economy and seemingly better performance from Ultimate then.

I know we have had a million discussions about fuel - I was just posting to say that Ultimate is definately a 97RON fuel.. let whatever discussions follow on do as they may! :)

Yeah, Ultimate is 97 Octane. But Optimax is 95 Octane...

Optimax has a load of octane boosters which are not very stable. If you get it straight from the refinery, it's about 99-102 octane, which is great, but if it's been sitting about for a few weeks it's going to be 95-97 octane..

BP Ultimate you can at least rely on. It's 97 and it stays that way.

They both have engine cleaning additives and stuff like that.

Nah, they deliberately don't quote a figure for optimax cos it's nothing special.

-- correction in Germany I think optimax is 98 minimum, but here it's not.

While at local BP other day, pulled at different pump to one i usually use went to load in some ultimate and the pump has got fatter. i mean the metal bit of it. it wouldent push the little petrol vapour cap bit down, it was too fat.does that matter? Spose the force of the petrol going in would open the cap. But in a state of shock, i put it back and put some standard unleaded in, with this pump being the usual size.

Since useing the unleaded (frst time since ownin the car) my car has felt more crappy and am gonna go use it up tonight and fill it up with some optimax or some ultimate from a different station prayin i dont come across fat end petrol pump.

Think im going mad.

The "fat" pumps are usually Lead Replacement Petrol - designed to not fit down the filler necks of cars that require UL. Maybe they're reusing some LRP pumps for Ultimate?

The "fat" pumps are usually Lead Replacement Petrol - designed to not fit down the filler necks of cars that require UL. Maybe they're reusing some LRP pumps for Ultimate?

Cool cheers dr_mat must of been what has happened.

I normally use normal Esso in my car and whenever ive used Optimax or Ultimate I cant say ive noticed much difference. The Esso garage I use has just started selling there Super Unleaded so I tried a tank yesterday and noticed a difference straight away. Ill be sticking to Esso from now on I think...

Yeah the Esso SUL is good too. I get much more consistent running with Esso and BP fuels.

It's gotta be worth a shot, there's an Esso within spitting distance of where I work, so I'll pay the extra 1p a litre and fill up there rather than Tesco.

dont use tesco!!!

had a load of cars not running cos of poor fuel when i worked there

dunno if it was bottom of the tank or what but i sure aint risking it!

I needed petrol when I picked it up and couldn't make it much further than Tesco, but it's the last time. Esso from now on, don't worry.

correction in Germany I think optimax is 98 minimum, but here it's not.

Erm nope, they've had V-Power for quite some time, as indeed pretty much everyone else on the continent, supposed to be 100 octane. The Rado-gang in Germany rate it very well, especially as some mates of mine are running special chips on their G60s

Tempest

I put some Texaco super unleaded in mine last week and I may have got a bad batch but it was running noticeably worse, I normally use Optimax and have tried Ultimate a few times and I can't tell the difference between the two.

May have been a bad batch, ive heard Texaco SUL and Esso SUL are the exact same...

Q8 SUL is labelled as 98. I've only used it once as it is always way overpriced but that 10 quids worth made the VR run super smooth.

Well i am not sure about Shell V-Power ratings...

I can tell that i have used it for some time.

I tuned up my dizzy to run with super unleaded 98 RON wihout pinking.

And the other day i gave it a try with Shell V-Power and the car started pinking!

So i guess that V-Power is not 98 RON but 95 RON...

Anyone else notice that their exhaust soots up more when using Optimax? I thought the car may have been running rich but the recent service showed everything to be ok. I've almost always used optimax ever since it became available and this ties in with the soot appearance. I doubt the engine is still being cleaned after the past years use.

I ran mine on ultimate yesterday. made no difference at all. still got 30-32mpg, still felt the same performance wise.

waste of money.

I put some in mine this morning and now it seems to have a slight mis fire.... :shock:

I just use optimax or BP ultimate, but the problem with switching fuel suppliers is that car has adjust to the new fuel.

I always used to fill my *cough* 306 TurboD *cough* up with Esso and if I filled it up with Shell it would lose around 50 miles of the range of a full tank - I do around 500 miles a week going to work and back so it only lasts a week.

Then the Shell fuel got a lot cheaper than the Esso so I started using that - after around a month I was getting the same fuel economy as I was when using just Esso.

I suppose it comes down to your sensor map in the ECU it needs to adjust to the slightly different properties of the fuel. Or that may just be bo11ox.

Laters,

Yan