G60_Chris

Corrado G60

Thought I would make a post about my car, been a long time reader of these forums and have gained some valuable knowledge of the cars as a result, so thought it only right that I actually made a post...

I finally bought myself a Corrado, a car I have promised myself for years since wanting one when they first came out! I found a fairly decent looking white G60 on eBay that was being sold as the owner never used the car. I originally wanted a VR6 to replace my mk3 golf VR6 that I had just sold, it was a fairly well known car on the internet and at shows with air ride, various engine mods and a full custom mulberry retrim etc, but after looking at a few locally and a few cars being more than I wanted to pay, I decided to widen my search for other Corrado models, the next best thing in my eyes was the G60 which was actually THE car I had always wanted back in the early 90's. It had a few mechanical issues (that I've spent the past week working my way through) and a few bits of bodywork (it's booked in for a full respray on Monday as I wanted it 100% perfect) but overall looked a decent car in the pictures on the listing, I had the seller send me a few better pictures and some more information and so last Saturday I bid, and won the car! I've never bought a car through an auction before, and never bought anything without seeing and driving the car first but circumstances meant I couldn't travel to view the car prior to bidding.

It has only done 1226 miles in the past few years and was locked away in a garage, being used very rarely on dry weekends and for the annual trip to the MOT station.

Upon arrival, the car was driven out of the garage, and after a good look round it I was happy that it was as advertised, everything worked as it should (including the sunroof and the spoiler) so I paid the money and left with the car. This is what it looked like as of last weekend...

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-22%20at%2022.17.48_zpsbdc0t1g0.png

And after fixing the few niggles it had, here's how it sits less than a week later with some OZ Turbo replica wheels 9x16 all round with 195/45/16 tyres front camber adjustment, 10mm rear hubcentric spacers and rolled rear arches...

carpark9_zpsynxve3wm.jpg

carpark6_zpsgfjzkzud.jpg

carpark4_zpsrf4fpl9z.jpg

carpark5_zps2uogoy8i.jpg

carpark12_zpsdclc27bg.jpg

carpark1_zpslttdovll.jpg

Edited by G60_Chris

Very nice looking G60, best colour, too :)

Looking forward to seeing yours in the flesh at a show this season, head over to the CCGB events calendar to get to some of the many shows. How about the Practical Classic Car Restoration Show beginning of March? 2 alpine-white G60s on the stand ...

Tempest

Very nice looking G60, best colour, too :)

Looking forward to seeing yours in the flesh at a show this season, head over to the CCGB events calendar to get to some of the many shows. How about the Practical Classic Car Restoration Show beginning of March? 2 alpine-white G60s on the stand ...

Tempest

Looks a cracker, and not in need of much at all judging by the photos! Good effort and welcome to the forum!

Looks a cracker, and not in need of much at all judging by the photos! Good effort and welcome to the forum!

There are a few car park dings and the bonnet has a big dent on it, but so I know it's good it's booked in on Monday for a full respray... :)

Edited by G60_Chris

Well when they say things are sometimes to good to be true, today I ran out of good fortune...

Popped to the local SW Dubs meet at Exeter Services along with around 200+ other cars, only for the supercharger to implode on the way up! Clearly the rebuild carried out by G-Werks 17k ago perhaps wasn't the best, but there's not much I can do now. So got the car back home, removed the charger and this is what was left of the unit:

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%2018.12.20_zps3vjhcdya.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%2018.12.29_zpswb0ulzo3.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%2018.12.40_zpsm7eyevvt.png

Not really what I need a day before it was booked in to the bodyshop for a full respray! So after scouring the internet, the only supercharger I could find was in Germany. It is (probably) one of, if not the last brand new supercharger unit for sale. Genuine VW item boxed and shipped to the UK for £940 and seeing as I didn't have the time to wait, find a second hand one, get it rebuilt so I know it was good etc I bought it. Should be arriving next week hopefully, then I'll just have to fit it. I managed to get the car drivable for now by removing the broken internal parts of the G-Lader so the pulley still worked without the rest of the charger attached (casing was smashed top and bottom and bits of charger were imbedded in the under bonnet sound deadening), so it can be driven to the bodyshop and back again without any horrible noises.

Will be posting up an update once the car is back from paint, and the new charger arrives... What a weekend! :(

Looks like a lovely car Chris . Those black n white pics always make the C look moody . Bummer about it throwing its parts out of the pram today . Looks like you've got it covered though. I was going to go but double booked stuff , usual for me ! . Can't believe someone scraped Matts car !! .

Feel for you mate, thats devastating, especially so soon after getting the car. I'd heard G-Works workmanship went a little downhill just before they shut up shop, but you'd never be able to anticipate it happening like that. Well done on getting a replacement so quickly though, an added expense I'm sure you could have done without though. Onwards and upwards mate, it'll be a cracking car and at least you'll have the peace of mind its solid. John at JMR comes highly recommended for charger rebuilds/upgrades if you want to increase power in the future though!

Looks like a lovely car Chris . Those black n white pics always make the C look moody . Bummer about it throwing its parts out of the pram today . Looks like you've got it covered though. I was going to go but double booked stuff , usual for me ! . Can't believe someone scraped Matts car !! .

Matt? What happened?

Dropped the car off at the bodyshop this morning for its respray, works out quite well considering I can't really enjoy the car without a working supercharger! So if things fall into place okay, then I will get the car back Friday and then I can fit the new charger on Saturday morning... then have to run it in for a few hundred miles before normal service can be resumed :)

Some update photos from the bodyshop...

Car is getting a full respray in it's original factory colour of Alpine white, a few car park dings removed, stone chips removed and ground down from the front of the bonnet, sills re-stone chip protected, rear badges removed and smoothed and some more tweaking to the rear arches.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%2017.11.25_zpsjrpqvw1z.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%2017.11.42_zpst8wpxh8h.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-01%20at%2017.11.53_zpsgrvxlejc.png

Edited by G60_Chris

Further progress, bodywork prep is well underway prior to paint. Rear badges removed, plates welded in then ground down and smoothed off for a clean rear end...

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%2012.12.25_zpsy5xinglj.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%2012.12.15_zpsheopfyiq.png

Rear arches pulled to eliminate any rubbing...

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-02%20at%2012.12.00_zpsllquxbxv.png

Matt Perkins , he was at the Dub meet . Someone did a nice job on the arch for him ! .

Oh I didn't realise he'd had his car damaged... :( Wasn't a good day for Corrados by the sounds of it in Exeter that day lol.

was this the G60 at the megameet, if so it looked good, had a quick look as you were working under the bonet while your misses was cleaning your wheels..... she's a keeper lol

was this the G60 at the megameet, if so it looked good, had a quick look as you were working under the bonet while your misses was cleaning your wheels..... she's a keeper lol

That's the one :) it'll look a million times better after its back from paint... Hopefully lol.

And yep going to keep this one a long time... And the Mrs ;) lol

Who's doing the work Chris ? .

Spectrum in Saltash... I've known Matt there for about 10+years and he's always done my bodywork on cars, always good quality and always a fast turn around which is my pet hate with bodyshops who drag stuff out and work at a slow pace.

Well today the car has been polished and is in the process of being put back together.

Also sprayed the standard rear lights all red...

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-04%20at%2014.05.34_zpsvl0rkzys.png

looks lovely mate love the white G60 look

i brought a replacement charger from G-werks and it didn't even last 3 K so i feel the pain and i was super careful bedding it in and fresh oil checked feed return lines and it was total pants, i got second hand unit got it refurbished and ported and polished in the end.

nice to see a G getting some attention. need to get mine on the road this year damn

looks lovely mate love the white G60 look

i brought a replacement charger from G-werks and it didn't even last 3 K so i feel the pain and i was super careful bedding it in and fresh oil checked feed return lines and it was total pants, i got second hand unit got it refurbished and ported and polished in the end.

nice to see a G getting some attention. need to get mine on the road this year damn

Thanks bud :) Yeah the more I hear about G-Werks the worse it sounds, so I am not surprised it didn't last very long... Shame really though as they used to be a very trustworthy company, to what they are now which is non existent! I've bought new oil feed and oil return lines from Only Charged Dubs, along with all new washers and banjo bolts - I'm not taking any chances!

Also need to remove the intercooler and give that a good clean out, although I think most of the metal from the charger blowing up went upwards and into the bonnet, rather than into the pipework but I'll clean it out regardless.