Sign in to follow this  
randal

Steam Cleaning

Thinking of getting hold of a steam cleaner to do the engine bay, any caveats? Also, just heard that you can use steam cleaners to bring up upholstery - is this the case?

TIA

randal

I'd make sure all your electrics are fully insulated and sealed before you go steam cleaning...

Not sure about the upholstery... I bought some Autogly Interior Shampoo instead.

Yup, too many hurried steam cleaning jobs result in nightmare electrical problems later down the line.

I'd rather have a scruffy engine! :)

Yup, too many hurried steam cleaning jobs result in nightmare electrical problems later down the line.

I'd rather have a scruffy engine! :)

Yeah likewise. If I run out of other things to do I may consider cleaning my engine bay, but it'll be with a bottle of GUNK and some quiet time with a toothbrush I think.

An oily engine is better because it protects the nuts and bolts from rusting over winter and oil on the gear linkages is a good thing!

For interior cleaning, there is no better than some Persil in a bucket of hot water and floor cloths :wink:

...but it'll be with a bottle of GUNK and some quiet time with a toothbrush I think.

Okaaayyyy, sounds well dodgy! ;) :lol:

Seriously though, spray Gunk, a thick scrubbing brush and a little time will bring up some excellent results, I've always found that the brush on gunk just doesn't quite do as good a job on engines as the spray stuff for some reason... :|

I don't have the problem with rusty nuts/bolts Kev... mine are all stainless! :D 8)

Or you could just chuck a couple of litres of petrol over the engine bay. Cleans most stuff off :D I wouldn't try and start your car for a few hours after tho :)

GUNK stinks!!!! :(

I prefer to use autoglym engine cleaner and then jet wash it away :wink:

I then go round with an air line and blast the lot off before using autoglym tyre cleaner to go over all the plastic / rubber pipes / etc... looks like new as you can see:

GUNK stinks!!!! :(

I prefer to use autoglym engine cleaner and then jet wash it away :wink:

I then go round with an air line and blast the lot off before using autoglym tyre cleaner to go over all the plastic / rubber pipes / etc... looks like new as you can see:

Fair enough, AutoGlym stuff it is then :D

Lookin good Scott but err where's your front grille? :shock:

I took the grill off car whilst I was cleaning so could clean behind it :)

And I thought I was a clean freak!

Thanks for all the suggestions, unfortunately won't be able to put them into practice until I get my car back :(

Spot on, Scott! (or should that be spots off Scott?)

I do very similar. Use Autoglym engine cleaner, gentle hose and bottle brush, then spray wet engine as recommended, with Autoglym rubber and vinyl protector as rec. by Autoglym. Been doing this for about 3 years on 2 cars. No problems.

I have never used stinkin Gunk since it got into the bearing of a Citroen alternator almost 30 years ago - result - constant dry bearing squeak - I chose to replace the alternator - it was for a Dyane - pretty cheap.

The original tin of Gunk still sits on a shelf in the garage - mostly neglected!

I took the grill off car whilst I was cleaning so could clean behind it :)

And I thought I was a clean freak!

:oops: :oops: