Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

koni shocks & springs seem bouncy??

i just got a koni t/a kit with the vogland( or whatever they are) springs that koni include...anyway it seems fairly bouncy,ive set the dampers around halfway

any suggestions on the setting of the dampers?? it seems pretty hard as it is,and i cant really afford new springs

Hmm.

If you soften them does the ride get more or less bouncy?

If it gets marginally less bouncy I have to ask - did you trim the bumpstops or fit the shorter ones from a Mk4? If not, the car will be resting on them giving a much higher combined spring rate.

If it gets more bouncy, I think you may have a problem with the dampers - even if they are new.

i was of the understanding that the stops should be left std?? it seems roughly the same bounce just gets harder when aj the shocks

Nope.

Trim one segment out of the rear stops and either trim one segment out of the front or fit the shortened items from the Mk4.

Then set the dampers to the softest setting and see how you get on

i have the same shocks you do and i thought they were a little bouncy. i made the as tight as possible and it was way better. seriously go as tight as they go.

The adjustment on the top of these dampers will control the degree of rebound dampening of the spring movement, after the initial depression. If you are having to adjust these dampers to the maximum amount of rebound control, just to stabilise a "bouncy" ride quality, then i would suggest that the springs are under rated for the weight of the car. This is of course assuming that the units fitted are in good working order and not tired second hand items. Which indeed if it were the case would again create through wear a underated spring and worn dampening operation. Best value for money buy at the mo, FK Konisport coilover kit, have fitted this to both Corrados and GTI G60, some 9 kits to date, and have been impressed no end by the operation of these kits.

Hello steveo29,

I have just fitted the same kit on my Corrado 1.8 16v, and to be honest its not that bouncey, its a harder ride to my gf's M3 suspension on her 3 series, but i would not say it was bouncey, hard but not bouncey, mine are set on the hard setting...

sam...are you liking the konis??? maybe bouncey is the wrong word.....it just seems im getting thrown around in the car from driving along poor roads, i mean ive had lowered cars before and i know you should feel bumps more but im like getting bounced out of my seat almost

Trim the bumpstops as Mike said as the first step. Did you use the crap ones that came with the kit or proper VW/GSF ones?

If after that you're still unhappy, dial in some more damping. The koni's softest setting is calibrated for the standard springs. Stiffer springs need more control from the damper to reduce excessive spring oscillation, so dial in some more damping strength.

Mine are set to 1.25 turns front and 0.5 turns at the back and it's perfect. I can get away with 0.75 front and 0 at the back at the most. All set to 0 and the ride is somewhat more compliant, but less controlled over bumps.

I'm using H&R springs btw.

I would also add that more people are dissatisfied with the Vogland springs than people that are.

K

wheres a good place to buy h&r?? i was thinking the springs dont seem great...anyone compare eibach and h&r??

Eibach are a fair bit stiffer than H&R but better than the Voglands!

Most tuning places can get you the H&Rs. I think the cheapest I've seen them is around £100. They're normally about £140.

ive also got a 2nd hand set of weitecs and jamex springs....do you think theyd be better than voglands??

its just the expense of the tracking evertime i pull it apart :cry:

youd have though koni would include top quality springs....from what you say theyre poo

Never tried any Weitec stuff so can't comment on those, they're worth a go though.

I don't think the Voglands are mega bad. I've used H&Rs with konis for years and know they work well together, hence getting the dampers seperately and not the kit. If Koni included better springs, the kit would be too close to Coilover prices to remain competetive.

when i bought my kit , i wanted to 'upgrade' to Eibach spring but i was told that the vogeland where a better match and to save my pennies......

i do like the konis i am definately not getting thrown out of my seat, but the rid is allot harder, i think tonight i will go home via the back raods and see how the bouncing feels!!

okay its on fully soft now...much better , i can probably live with it now

i must admit it handles alot better at high speed than before(cheep damper/springs)

When I had mine set to full soft the ride was ok but the handling wasn't too good. It's at 1.5 front and .75 rear and handles loads better but ride is very firm.