EJ Taylor

Anyone Disabled ABS? Would you recommend it?

Making my cart predominantly tack based, abs is a bit dickie sometimes, and im not too keen on it anyway, would anyone have any major reasons why i shouldn't take it out?

Just fond this - so does this suggest you can completely remove ABS and will then pass the MOT? But you cant just pull a fuse.

"If an ABS or ESC system has been intentionally rendered inoperative, the whole system must be removed. However, this does not apply to sensor rings or other ABS components which are an integral part of another component e.g. brake disc or drive shaft."

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_340.htm

I have read this before. interesting, but for most people i would say it is probably safer in most daily situations. as for your track car you may benefit from the reduced weight perhaps not carrying the pump around. my ABS stopped working with a broken sensor if I recall, so unplugging a sensor should temporarily disable it if you want to see what happens in a controlled environment. safety first always though

The guy who penned the article had, at the time of writing the article, been driving for a grand total of 7 years and had owned a total three cars. I've had my license over twice as long and had about 3x as many cars, and I still wouldn't consider myself 'experienced' really, so by any measure, he's still a beginner.

My one experience of needing to stop extremely suddenly in a car (which didn't have ABS) nearly ended in a big accident as it was slightly damp. Guy pulled out in front of me, my only reaction was to stand on the brakes, and of course the wheels locked up. I think he hoofed it enough to get away without being hit

Personally I think it's an excellent safety feature, the benefits of which have been demonstrated numerous times. Sure the Corrado ABS system is fairly primative and does come unstuck in conditions like snow.. but how often are you driving in snow? Or mud?

Ultimately it's your car - do what you want. But if you drive it on public roads at all, I think it'd be a mistake to disable it.

He's correct about only one thing: abs is worse than nothing when stopping in snow. It's still more controllable though the overall braking rate might be improved if you were able to lock the wheels.

He misses a big point in the rest of his rant. The super skilled driver has just one control from which to regulate the braking force applied to four wheel - each of which might quite well be experiencing a different amount of grip. The modern ABS computer on the other hand has four completely independent controls so can deliver a higher overall level of braking force to the wheels that have grip than even a super skilled highly trained driver in the same car as he has to brake at the level of the least grippy wheel. Not only that but it can detect slip that even f1 drivers can't.

There are some things in life where the computer is sooooo much better at it than you are, you just accept it and move on...

One other point.. just unplug a front wheel sensor and the abs will stop working. They run across the top of the suspension towers under the bonnet. Plug them back in for the MOT. And try not to crash in the meantime as your insurance will be invalid....

I've been driving for over 35 years,and I do 15k+ a year,my Corrado is the first car I've owned with ABS, so for me,I could comfortably take it off,but as I use it daily,the ABS functions as it should,it's a no brainier really !

My other car hasn't ABS,or even PAS and I have no difficulty from going from one to the other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pleased with my teves20 abs. Works lovely, definitely a worth while upgrade and does away with the bias vale on rear beam. You could always pull a sensor if you didn't want it on track.

Most people rarely invoke their abs anyway, even in aggressive driving, and obviously most people can balance the car on the pedal. But you're not as good as the computer in an emergency, no matter what you think.. :)

My opinion would be: track car, no ABS required, but if it's a daily keep it working. One day it might save a life, possibly yours.

My opinion would be: track car, no ABS required, but if it's a daily keep it working. One day it might save a life, possibly yours.

Unless it's snowed !

I'd say get rid of it, but remove the pump. I'm not really trustworthy of ABS on old cars and would rather do without. I know early corrados have a load valve on the rear axle so it's not as if you have to fit one. I'd actually feel more confident without it if I had to take evasive action suddenly. And as already mentioned, snow and ice, your safer walking than trying to deal with these old systems.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070104185323AAmS1nL

ABS was banned from F1 in 1993 because it was deemed a driver aid. And yes, it was, cars run a few seconds per lap faster with abs than without, particularly in the wet. If anyone on this forum claims they're better than an f1 driver at braking I shout "porkies" loudly in their general direction! ;)

The system in the Corrado was not bad (at least the Vr6). It offered a token effort at traction control but really that was a bit of an afterthought; the abs function is quite effective though. I had one of the very old single channel ABS setups on an old Vauxhall and that was genuinely pretty useless (just as good as a skilled driver then - only one pedal).

Except in snow, where you're better off without, but that's always going to be true. In ice it doesn't matter what you do you're screwed either way...

Edited by dr_mat