JimmyC92

Larger brakes on a 1993 2.0 16v?

Hi all!

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my C for something with a bit better stopping power. The disks and pads on mine currently have enough meat on them but they look bloody ancient. Am I right in thinking the vr6 has bigger brakes?

I'm currently running 15" Ronal Turbos so I would need something which would still fit under them.

Thanks in advance. :o

G60 set up is the easiest and cheapest option same caliper and 280mm disc size as vr6 but still 4x100 and will fit under 15" wheels pretty sure the calipers will bolt straight onto your current carriers as well

Similarly does anyone have a list of all the parts required to upgrade to golf 3 vr6 288mm disks, callipers and pads on a vr6 Corrado? I understand they will still fit under standard wheels and provide noticeably better stopping power.

You'll need a bigger spare as well if you currently have a space saver.

Why don't you just refresh the current setup and give the system a pressure bleed before going down the upgrade route? You'd be surprised at the difference that will make. 288s are better, but not that much better. The rears are hardly noticeable as they don't do much work anyway - but an upgrade to MkIV callipers will solve some of the seized handbrake mechanism issues.

Yes it's due a bleed. Have braided brake lines too and the fixed lines have pretty much all been replaced in the last five years too. Rear callipers are nearly new and not seized. About the only things never touched are the brake load balancer and the master cylinder...

Sounds like you are well on the road then! I have 288s on the front, MkIV rears and braided lines and use ATE Racing Blue fluid with OEM VW discs and pads. I've found that proper bleeding of everything (callipers, ABS unit, master cylinder) makes the most difference. The 288s have more bite and larger pad area but you still need to put your foot down a fair bit before you notice the improvement. I also tried Ferrodo pads, but they were too dusty and noisy for daily use for me. It seems like you should see a noticeable gain by upgrading to bigger discs and pads then - just don't expect a modern car brake feel. Some say that 312s are much better, but then your are into bigger wheels and more mods.

Yeah I am very aware that it won't feel like the mk7 golf the other side of the driveway, no matter what I do. That's ok, I'm used to the way the Corrado brakes - it's adequate for everything but the most extreme stops from high speed.

I have been toying with the idea of picking up some 16" wheels tbh (there are a lot of Skoda Fabia VRs wheels around and I think they might suit the Corrado) but not sure I want the car unable to be reverted to speedlines when I feel like it so I'm reluctant to go beyond the 288s.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Ive just been through all of the googling headaches for this very problem, take it from me, 280mm fronts and mk4 rear is the best combo for 4 stud 16v setup.