StFoulis007

I am new, South Coast based

Hello I'm Steve, based out of Portsmouth on the south coast, I am wanting to buy a Corrado, but every time i try to buy one the guy sells it while i'm on my way to view it. so hello and if you know anyone selling a Corrado in my area please let me know I have £3000

Welcome to the Forum Steve. Good luck in your search too. I'm close by if you want to have a look around. I'll give you a spin too so you know what to expect etc, and I'd like to think I'm relatively knowledgeable so you're welcome to pick my brains any time. :thumbleft:

Sean thank you, and 100% if you'd be willing to do that it would be so helpful! and I would love to go for a spin! I have been keeping an eye out there are a few contenders but they can vary so much in price and condition.

You're welcome mate. I'm away for the week but I'll PM you in a few days, and we can organise something that best suits.

Oh and in the meantime, have a look around the site and make yourself at home.

Especially check the Wiki section, theres a good buyers guide in there, and some guides on common faults/upgrades.

Also kind of that area too and don't mind helping out if you ever need it. I'm near Waterlooville. Offer also there to go for spin or go check one over if you find a decent one. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys means alot. I have found one but it is in wales the only thing im worried about is the miles as its on 150k. But i was thinking of doing an engine swap anyway. But otherwise it looks pretty sound but the sunroof docent work. So its a big trek as well. Is it worth doing a 6 hour round trip for do you think??

Thanks guys means alot. I have found one but it is in wales the only thing im worried about is the miles as its on 150k. But i was thinking of doing an engine swap anyway. But otherwise it looks pretty sound but the sunroof docent work. So its a big trek as well. Is it worth doing a 6 hour round trip for do you think??

Mileage is somewhat irrelevant on cars of this age, its all about condition.

150k miles is not an issue depending on maintenance regardless of engine type.

It totally depends upon the condition of the car itself. Read the advert for it several times and see how much effort the seller has put into trying to sell it, does he seem like he has cared for the car? Give him a call and find out as much information as you can about it after reading the buyers guide on here. The sunroof on mine works perfectly but I hardly ever use it so for me I wouldn't care but I can't comment for you.

Is it a VR6?

It's a 2L 16v. I have no desire for a sunroof really as long as the windows work fine. Some small rust spots and dents. But nothing too major and not in any places like window frames ect. The interior looks a little worn but to be exspected. Advisories on last mot are 0 but before that it was corroded brake lines amongst other things and an oil leak so i take it it has all been fixed not the mot sheet is empty. He wants it to goto a good home where it will be looked after.

I have no experience of the 16v I'm afraid, only what I have read on here. Body work is what I have found to be the most expensive bit about owning my Corrado, it really is worth trying to find the best possible example you can I reckon especially if you have a budget of 3k. I bought mine a few years ago now and it was absolutely spotless rust wise but I hunted around and waited until I found one like that, it wasn't easy. By small rust spots where are they and what sort of size are we talking?

So from the photos hes sent its about an 8-10 inch bit that runs along the bottom lip of the boot door. So if you know what i mean? If you opened the boot and the lip that lifts towards your face. Not so much major rust you can see it has bubbled in the past and now its flaking off. I dont know how to attach images otherwise I would. Hes asking £1400

Hmmmm, personally any rust at all puts me off as you can never be sure how far the rust goes without getting the paint off. However I do appreciate that its very tough to find a 20 year old car with absolutely no rust at all. Its a difficult one to call, on the one hand it is always good to have a contingency budget left over to fix any niggles, on the other, paying more may get you a much better example in the first place that will have less niggles. Have you looked one over yet? You are just down the road from me by the sounds of it, if you fancy popping over to have a look at a good one you would be more than welcome.

I have only seen one first hand, but i can find barely any online as it is. And it would be nice to get a good specimin but just feels unlikely with the budget I have unless I am spending like £5000 which is what most people seem to want

I have seen pretty decent ones pop up from time to time for the £3k mark. These cars are getting rarer and rarer these days and good ones even more so. Personally I always think when buying a car like this its always better to wait until the right one comes up. Was it a 16v you were specifically after or are you looking at all models? Is it going to be your daily driver?

oh god only round the corner im in Lovedean lane, any make and model really its just the shell that is the most appealing thing to me, I make a mk1 cabby but its all factory and i have spent like £6000 on it and it looks no different than out of the factory, where I want something I can change to my liking i would keep the mk1 and make it amazing but I jumped into it too quick and got stung big time. due to..... rust lol, filler neck was shot to pieces and it never let me recover financially after that. so what would be great would be a VR6 and then to super charge it. I was thinking supercharge a mk1 tintop golf, but its very small and light, the Corrado a heavier beast with more space, and yes it would be my daily driver, now you may have a change of heart towards me, as I have been looking and the VR6 runs off of one camshaft, now that's a lot of power to be running off of a single camshaft, so I had been contemplating sticking a Honda b18 which performs near on identical to a VR6, it would be more reliable and you would have the vtec camshaft, along with a supercharger. but obviously in a Corrado body because Honda's look awful. I have had so many issues with VW engines I would like some reliability is all, whilst still being able to have fun.

haha yeah literally just round the corner, my brother lives on Lovedean lane. Small world eh...

Personally I haven't had any issues at all with my VR6, although mine isn't a daily driver, just a weekend toy. I've heard of them well into the 200K miles area still on original chains and performing well.

Have you driven a VR6 before? I've read a lot of threads about Vtech engines vs VR6s and think it comes down to preference really. I've been in my mates S2000 and although I know on paper it performs better, the lack of low end torque and the sensational VR6 noise didn't cut it for me but each to their own.

Aha yes very small indeed, Theres a beautiful vr6 in london for 4k. And 0 rust lights lowerd bumper kit wheels it looks like no exspence spared. No i havent driven a vr6 nor any corrado, yes I have seen lots of hate towards a honda in a vw. Im not too worried about top speed or anything like that mainly just good performance long lasting and reliable. I guess it is down to how you look after the engine. There was a completely rebuilt vr6 for a grand it looked brand new. The vr6 noise i think is nice especially when supercharged. Well if you have some time id love to check yours out if that would be ok.

Yeah sure thing, I'm away at a festival from Wednesday but will be pretty free next week. I'll take you out for a spin in it and you can have a good look around. Apologies in advance for the state of the interior, it needs some attention which is planned for a few weeks time when the schools break up for the summer (I'm a teacher you see) My number is 07515 342042, hopefully meet up next week some time.

He hasn't really said much at all in his advert, just talked mainly about the mods he has done which I'm not a big fan of, I prefer an OEM car or subtle mods. That's all personal taste though. I'm not getting a good feeling from this ad. He hasn't mentioned anything about the mechanicals of it, every Corrado will have some issues no matter how slight. All he has mentioned really is that its fast which doesn't sit well for me and that the car's spoiler works.... The car is also for £4K which is a lot for a car with no MOT, questionable mechanical condition, and is currently listed a Nissan Navara with 82,000k on the clock. Also no photos of the engine bay or interior.

Just my 2p.

The milage is wrong its actually around 150k. Yes I understand what you mean even though it looks like money has been spent on it and he says it has it could still be a complete pig. I personally am into dark colors for cars. And prefer on coilovers but not stupidly low. Hid kit so i can actually see where i am going.. Not into big exhausts or camber or anything silly like that. I have someone interested in my mk1 golf when that sells i will have the money to put forward but I also have some put aside encase something comes up before then. I dont need 3 cars as i have a mk4 1.8t as a daily and that is also falling apart aha. I see what you are saying though maybe its best to hold on till the right one comes rather than putting aload of time and effort into one that may not be as good