robrado974

Snapped bolt help please .

Things were going really well on the passenger refurb side . But I've managed to snap the bolt on the wishbone , it's the end facing you towards the engine . I suppose my only way out is to get it drilled and RE tapped ? .

Rob

I feel your pain, with the snapped bolt. I have watched loads of videos of trying to get snapped bolts out, at the end I concluded you have to perceiver with it and try anything you can to get it out.

Sorry but I know this is no help.

Is there anything sticking out from the bolt, maybe you can get those irwin bolt grips to help.

just buy a new sub-frame, be far easier and someone already gone through the hassle of taking the bolts out already.

Use heat first, then tap the remainder of the bolt to loosen the rust, lots of plus gas the drill for the easy out.

Easy outs are a bugger to drill if you snap that too

I hope you've sorted it mate. If not angle grinder the sodding thing at its wishbone end and replace that.

Bloody corrados .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That bolt is a complete b*tch to remove once sheared ,

could offer suggestions but it's probably best to just get it out any way you can, good luck :(

Thank you very much again for all your comments chaps .

I got the angle grinder out in the end . The wishbone is now off the car . So I'm now left with the round part with the bush in . This is teasingly close to coming out but it's not giving up without a fight !. Once I get this out tomorrow with extreme violence I will be left with the bolt to remove . What a pain in the arse . I wish I could drop the subframe but I don't have a hoist to support the engine . And there's the thought , that if one of those bolts shears , I'm really in trouble.

Well done mate. I don't have a hoist so built a crib of blocks and used the trolley jack to push the engine up. Worked for me. Anyone who's done this shares your pain of these bolts

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I had another go this evening and the bush is out . (Temper of a scalded rhino lol) . Just that nasty bolt to go now .

Edited by robrado974

I have a cunning plan . I'm soaking the bolt with plus gas at regular intervals . I will try a pair of mole grips tomorrow . If it slides off the thread because of inferior grip , I will gently grind two flat surfaces at opposites so the Molies will grip better . If that fails then I will stick a match in the petrol tank lol .

Its when stuff like this happens i sympathise with the mechanics getting grief off customers as to why their car isn't done yet.

It would be easy if everything undid like the book says. You'll get there in the end.

Very true Jim , I was thinking exactly the same thing today . The bolt on the under side that goes into the chassis came out so Easily ,but when you look at it , it's gold in colour from thread to shank . I've owned the car for nearly ten years , it's never been out or replaced in my ownership . It can't be much older as that part of the car gets really wet in the rain . The one that sheared is in a right state .

Fingers crossed for you mate, this is the exact thing I fear happening when I start this job. I have a subframe in my shed with a broken bolt in it, a previous attempt to ready one for the underside refurb.