odub

Blackberry 20vt

I've had a bugger of a day. Tried to start the car again this morning, it wouldn't and then the engine locked up. A little bit of poo came out and so I popped the plugs out and cranked it by hand. Good news that the engine still rotated but not a full revolution. Thought the worst and dropped off the sump to check for any interference after the new sump baffle and windage tray. No problem there so put it all back together. Took off the cambelt cover and found this:

6ccda569cdd29dca99972f522e6e19fb.jpg

Bad times! Cam cover off and have found a dropped valve on no.4 cylinder

f92089fbeadb99b6c023209fbce8b8a9.jpg

So I've set about taking everything off ready to lift the cylinder head for further investigation

11b725044b057f1141bde8bdd29d5603.jpg

You can see the port work now

cb7fe1ff4a4fc45697172d82838cfbb5.jpg

d0ff3743c94f0d7a785100f915b63276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by odub

Just speculating but I think the last time I had it out I must have had the belt jump on the cam sprocket and now the valve has been hitting the piston until it's bent enough not to come back up. This would explain it not wanting to start although I didn't hear any bad metallic sounds but it is quite a loud engine with the induction, exhaust and injectors tapping away

Ahh, I see. So you have a bit of a Frankenstien motor then? :lol: Looking good mate, supprising to see 2 Blackberry 20v's being built on the same forum. :thumbleft:

Sort of. These engines are a lot more common in America than here. The biggest difference is the water pump is external and not driven by the cambelt

Just speculating but I think the last time I had it out I must have had the belt jump on the cam sprocket and now the valve has been hitting the piston until it's bent enough not to come back up. This would explain it not wanting to start although I didn't hear any bad metallic sounds but it is quite a loud engine with the induction, exhaust and injectors tapping away

Oh **** man! has it damaged the head? Hopefully you will get away with just a new valve, but secondhand heads are plentyful on ebay.

I'll find out tomorrow but hoping for the best. If it has it will be a shame as this head has angled valve seats and is ported and polished.

I'm staying positive and going to get the inlet mani powder coated whilst it's off

i feel for you....

just as everything starts taking shape.

im crossing my fingers for you its not to bad m8:thumbleft:

45c79514264fc369d209820d3a59b527.jpg72b3d3c102d9400508cbff3be34374e8.jpgc6ce54457f1dec9f9ca503aee5c336d9.jpgbe80c6926676413562fb75cb1b918d57.jpgbeeb303c6b6808cf876da65d4fbcc644.jpgfc5329fb942234789585ec80e89f91bc.jpg

It’s bad.

Head has a valve poking out where it shouldn’t be so that’s junk.

Two pistons have bits of valve stuck in them so they need replacing.

I’m not sure what my next move is so any advice is welcome.

I could drop the sump and replace two pistons in situ and throw on another cylinder head or replace the whole motor but will want another forged bottom end. It’s a bit of a shame because of all the work in the head plus the Supertech valve guides, brand new hydraulic tensioner and all of the other parts that are now going in the bin

Bad news indeed olly !!

If your you going to re-build this engine there maybe some unseen damage on what can be reused, so get that crank checked for straightness, and your steel rods will need also need to be checked for straightness and for any out of round big end, the small end bushes may need replacing on the rods of the offending cylinders as these may now have a flat spot when the engine locked up.

I know what you're saying. It's a major ball ache both financially and physically having the time to mess about with it. I've been doing the maths (man maths) and have just bought another engine which I'll collect tomorrow evening. This new motor has everything except turbo and manifolds plus is fully forged already. Hopefully all will work out OK in the end

Oh bugger that's not good. I've been there myself, it made me almost sell the whole project and just walk away. New motor and start a fresh is the way.:thumbleft:

Just down the road in Benfleet from a guy who's a member of another car club I'm in. Bit of a result but I've had to tell my wife not to expect anything for Valentine's Day

Oh bugger that's not good. I've been there myself, it made me almost sell the whole project and just walk away. New motor and start a fresh is the way.:thumbleft:

I can't give up now. Hopefully the new motor will turn out better in the long term

Never surrender. I'd like to know what caused this as it should have been good for a lot of abuse and a lot more power than I was running.

To top it all off the company I work for has entered into liquidation so I am now redundant without notice and pay. Thank goodness I'd been saving for more power mods! They will have to wait but at least I can pay my bills.

I'll probably be a bit quiet for a while but rest assured I shall be back on the case soon, just need a job

I'll be looking down the lines of one of the 9:1 compression engines, such as bam, apx, apy, amk, aul to replace my forged AEB as this will serve the levels of power I can max out a k04 to. I'll probably throw in my forged con-rods after checking them out thoroughly but they should be fine and free from damage. What an expensive cock up

Your not having much luck are you.

Hope it all works out m8.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'll be looking down the lines of one of the 9:1 compression engines, such as bam, apx, apy, amk, aul to replace my forged AEB as this will serve the levels of power I can max out a k04 to. I'll probably throw in my forged con-rods after checking them out thoroughly but they should be fine and free from damage. What an expensive cock up

Sad news about yer job... So does that mean you did not get the replacement engine in the end ?? Hope it all works out soon.

Nope. We were all called into a meeting at 1600 on Monday and that was it. I had a load of cash on me for the engine that I thought would be wise to keep until I'm sorted again

Whilst I'm unemployed and have a stash of parts kicking about I've started fitting them. First up are the wheel studs. I ordered these from Driftworks a while ago. They both look the business and make fitting the spacers and wheels much easier

b330aef087df0b9c3d409836048add81.jpg6829528893d1c89a1279a91ebe1b3935.jpgc985fb605cafe149f00036d9462a1978.jpg

Edited by odub

For the first time in a while it hasn't been freezing in the garage so I pulled the car out. Have fitted a usb socket in place of the cigarette lighter so I can power up the phone for maps or running Dash Commander for extra gauges plus put in my OMP rear brace that I've owned for probably ten years now.

4a07c49bbca133b852ab39b75161e5a5.jpg27c2f9f1919f22c3da4383497af84b85.jpga84ac60f5a7e40e58d1a80ee53e37ca4.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I'll pull out the engine block and strip out the forged rods. I will have a baffled sump that will fit 8v and 16v engines going spare too if anyone is interested

Edited by odub

Very little going on of late but I've got the recaro seat backs being wrapped in a black metallic with a heavy amount of purple pearl

3835d968eb54c027673342b8a67be438.jpg

Rods and munched pistons are out of the block. The rods look in great shape, new bearings and these will go in the next motor

1ce667a4ab6925a179b9dfa9a00f8fb0.jpg

New goodies from Funkmotorsport. Replacement turbo blanket as the other one had a fault. This is a new design one plus a complimentary filter. Great service from these guys and a nice range of products to help protect components and in my case, stop melting things

b4abd6bcd6fd623c34a380f9483b45c1.jpg

Edited by odub

Just temping and going through lengthy interview processes. I was royally stitched up by one employer who offered me a job during which time I then turned down two others only to then be told they didn't have time to train me. I have two more interviews this week though. As soon as I'm out the other side the car is getting a new motor, tuning and should make it out this year hopefully