GUS

VR6 not ticking over

The cars been parked up for a couple of weeks and I thought I take for drive this evening and its not ticking over, all the dash lights are still coming on.

Tried jump starting and that hasn't helped either.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Similar thing happened to me, I dropped the key and it split apart just like it would if your changing the battery for the key light. Didn't think anything of it to start with after putting it back together until the car wouldn't turn over(dash lights on but that's it)

Turns out the chip in the key had fell out when I dropped it so the car thought it was just a key without the transponder. Luckily for me I found the chip but it's worth checking its in the key.

Factory immobiliser would still allow the car to start, but would cut out after about a second. I'd say get your battery charged fully first, or disconnect it completely and try jumping it again directly onto the cables. If your battery is proper dead, even a jump won't work with it in place. Also worth trying to wiggle the key up and down in the switch whilst in position 2, as this is also an ignition switch symptom.

Will try all these options and then probably get a auto electrician to give it a once over.

Is it true that 90% of Corrado problems are electrical related rather than mechanical.

I'd start by charging the battery over night, 2 or 3 weeks of sitting around is enough to drain the battery to the point of a non start. If you do end up getting an auto electrician he'll thank you for giving him a good start for his fault finding mission

i agree with Dox - a dying / dead battery can cause all sorts of issues

IIRC dash lights etc will come on if it has a little charge but then nothing will happen if it has low juice

i put a solar trickle charger on whichever rado i am not using that day to try & stop the batteries depleting

you can bump start a VR but they are heavy to push & will run rough for a short run until you can switch it off & then re-start it (sometimes the fuel mapping goes a bit odd)

i think, but not sure as it was the gf's storm which did it, but if the fuse is blown for the immobiliser you would also get the symptoms you describe

personally, i would say that 90% of issues people get with rado's are due to lack of use - they dont like being sat doing nothing & then throw their toys ouit

perfectly timed example being my VR playing up last week as i hadnt used her for maybe 5 days and i had forgotten to put the trickle charger on - which resulted in a very rough 1st start with revs almost dropping to zero & then barely ticking over. i had to give it some throttle to get it going on the 2nd start (which i never do as according to the manual). then the journey to & from work had my rev's sometimes jumping all over the place when it was trying to settle to tick over

3 days of constant use & all was peachy again

get the battery sorted & then go from there m8 :)

Hopefully got Auto Elecky coming over tomorrow, he thinks it could be either of the following:

Immobiliser

Ignition switch

Relay

Starter motor

loose connection/wiring

Hopefully got Auto Elecky coming over tomorrow, he thinks it could be either of the following:

Immobiliser

Ignition switch

Relay

Starter motor

loose connection/wiring

how did you get on with the battery?

when you turn the key but not to crank it over do you hear any relays? And when you crank it, do you hear a slightly loud relay click from teh engine bay? If so it could be a seized starter solenoid, in which case a few hard taps with a strong piece of wood could free it up temporarily. If when you turn the key to start and you get no turning from teh engine, but the cabin lights dim slightly it could then point to the immobiliser. Interested in what the electrician says

Just realised I have no way of charging the battery, I've left my trickle charger at my folks place in Derby as that's where its stored over Winter.

Now for the dumb Q, where exactly is the starter motor located, any pics with some pointy arrows of where I should tapping would be appreciated.

This is typical just as the weather picks up again and then the car breaks down.

Just realised I have no way of charging the battery, I've left my trickle charger at my folks place in Derby as that's where its stored over Winter.

Now for the dumb Q, where exactly is the starter motor located, any pics with some pointy arrows of where I should tapping would be appreciated.

This is typical just as the weather picks up again and then the car breaks down.

trickle charge wont help if it is that dead Gus - you would need a proper charging unit i would have thought

as for stater motor - open bonnet, stand in centre, look down between the fans & the inlet manifold, to the right hand side you will see the thermostat housing (where all your hoses go in & out), the SM is a 6 inch ish long cylinder just below & towards the front of the car

a long crowbar (or similar) & a hammer will be needed

FYI when mine weNt in the VR a tap worked once but then i had to bump start it

actually - if your alternator is ok you could bump start it & then go for a long drive to get charge back into the battery - obviously try not to use many electrics during the drive

that would at least allow you to rule either the battery or SM out

Never bumpstart a VR. Not sure if it's just urban legend but have regularly heard / been told over the years that you risk stretching / damaging the timing chain and other horrible things.

The issue is the engine jerks into motion Jim, so jump starting is ok but be gentle lifting the clutch..

Always better to charge the battery up, or at least use a jump starter battery.

Auto electrician did all his checks and it turned to be the battery.

He managed to get it started after jump start, not sure why this didn't work when I tried using my own heavy duty leads.

But still wouldn't restart after removing the leads, so need to get a new battery.

Edited by GUS
Mistake

The issue is the engine jerks into motion Jim, so jump starting is ok but be gentle lifting the clutch..

Always better to charge the battery up, or at least use a jump starter battery.

Have you never left a car in gear and turned the key? Was the result smooth movement or a lunge towards the car / wall in front?

Well I know, it's not nice. I have always been sceptical of the real risks of a jump start tbh, but frankly it *is* much simpler to just boost start than pushing the car down the road and dropping the clutch..

Well I know, it's not nice. I have always been sceptical of the real risks of a jump start tbh, but frankly it *is* much simpler to just boost start than pushing the car down the road and dropping the clutch..

It is, if you're at home when you realise you've left your lights on again! But at 7am after a 12 hour night shift the thought of a couple of hours wait for the RAC or a shove by a few work comrades I'd go for the bump start every time.