VR-Sixy

Shuddery Brakes - AGAIN

The brakes are playing up again. Started last night on the way home from work - anything over 40mph and when you brake. the steering wheel feels

like it's going to jump off the column. I had new front discs fitted only in June and i was very careful about breaking them in properly, light to medium

braking for the first couple of weeks or so and i thought i'd cracked it this time. Not a bit of it.

Can anyone recommend some premium brake discs, drilled and grooved perhaps as this is now driving me to distraction. l shouldn't have to be replacing

the front discs every 6 months or so when i'm only doing under 100 miles a week, and over the last two years, i have had them changed / replaced 4 times.

It feels like the LH side is palying up in particular which was the same as last time back in June. There's not anything in there that can beome loose is there?

Just seems strange that this keep happening.

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks.

p.s. found these....... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122204932594?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

not exactly expensive compared to other - but hoping these would do the trick....

Edited by VR-Sixy

i run EBC USR discs al lround & have found them to be great & wear very well

my abs is not the best & on OE discs & pads i used to find the front would lock up very easily - ive not had a lock up since i wet to the USR discs

the very low dust from the green stuff pads is also a bonus

i am not so convinced your issue is with the discs themselves as what you describe is very odd indeed - no idea what could cause it but to keep throwing new discs at it doesnt seem to fit right

I would agree sounds more like its the system issue. Have you checked calipers are working correctly? Juddering is generally a build up of pad material if you haven't actually warped them which I doubt by the sounds of it. Have you checked if one side is getting warmer than the other to indicate sticking calipers.

Id get them off and give them a good clean, slider pins pads area etc etc.

Hello guys - thanks for the input. I wouldn't know where to start with the calipers and what-not..... i just leave it to the garage to do the honours. The calipers are still the original ones and i really don't know if they've been cleaned / serviced when the last pair of discs were put on. Sounds like something worth investigating though. I'll ask a mate of mine to see if he can take a squizz at them inthe coming days. The thing is, they pull up perfectly at lower speeds, but anything voer and above 40 mph and they're shuddering like god knows what.

If its shuddering through steering wheel it does suggest a mechanical issue rather than ABS.

Drive the car for a while and check the caliper temps. If one side is hot and the other not then maybe a sticking caliper. Were the pads changed with the discs?

Edited by coullstar

If its shuddering through steering wheel it does suggest a mechanical issue rather than ABS.

Drive the car for a while and check the caliper temps. If one side is hot and the other not then maybe a sticking caliper. Were the pads changed with the discs?

The ABS is disconnected as it hasn't worked properly for years. I'll check the calipers after shopping tomorrow. That's about a 10 minute dirve each way with lots of stops and starts so should give a decent indication of what's going on. Not sure if the pads were changed along with the discs.... sorry.

The hub that the disc sits on should be completely clean and free of any un-evenness or that could cause the discs to distort quite quickly

Or the hub(s) could themselves be distorted

Just had this problem on my Bmw with 3 sets of discs being warped in 20k miles so changed the hubs a couple of weeks ago too, hopefully sorted now.

I checked the heat of the calipers yesterday morning and they seemed to be pretty equal on both sides. Re the hubs, not entirely sure if this could be the cause, however my mate will check them out. When new discs go on (as in June this year), braking at higher speeds is fine, it's only after they've been on there a while that the prolbem starts. Lower speed braking is fine - no probems at all . It only happens at higher speeds and after the discs have had a few months use.

What manufacturer of discs have you been fitting?
I have no idea my friend. When they need replacing, i leave that down to the

guys at the garage to sort out. This has only started happen over the last couple of years though - i've never had this problem before now.

Could be something simple like cheap discs running out of line when more heat is put into them

Could be something simple like cheap discs running out of line when more heat is put into them
I have no idea. My mate is going to look at them at the end of the month. Getting a pair of these at the end of the month and i'll get him to check the calipers and hubs out as well. Something has got be causing all this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1222049325...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I wouldn't buy grooved or drilled discs, i bought some before and they went all shuddery quite quickly, fitted normal discs and never had the issue again

i'd recommend some plain Brembo or Pagid discs from Euros when they have 30% off, which is about every other day

Snap, grooved only if your going on track. Plain discs are more than good enough and you don't eat pads.

Avoid drilled, they crack. Even the proper Porsche ones that have the holes cast in them (rather than drilled afterwards) crack at some point.

They'd do nicely, just remember to order two. Are yours 280mm?
I honestly have no idea! I'm not sounding very good at this am I??

Your pretty much garunteed the cheapest rubbish fitted from a garage unless you specifically ask for a brand, I always fit Pagid there not far from cheap and quality is always pretty high

Your pretty much garunteed the cheapest rubbish fitted from a garage unless you specifically ask for a brand, I always fit Pagid there not far from cheap and quality is always pretty high
I've got my sights on some Pagid discs for the end of the month.