GrizzlyBear

Restored front grille

Just thought I would show my finished grille that's part of my ongoing restoration of my valver. It was in very bad shape, chrome had faded so badge was grey, 16v badge had faded and had lots of scratches and the grille itself had lots of gauges and deep scratches in it although it was worth fixing as all the clips were intact. So this is how I sorted the issues, the total cost was about £15 as I needed to buy the paint, filler and vinyl.

Front emblem/badge:

Removed from the car and rubbed down with 600 grit to get the majority of the scratches out. I then used 2-3 coats of primer, let that dry and then sanded it back and then used around 4-5 coats of gloss black. Once it was dry I then polished the badge to bring out the shine.

16v Badge:

I removed this from the grille and gave it a good clean. Then, using a 2D drawing software I scanned and then cleaned up the edges of the red bits of the badge and then inputted the design into a vinyl printer. Which then cut out my design and all I had to do was stick it on the badge (very carefully).

Grille:

I cleaned the grille and then applied body filler in the locations of the deep scratches. I then left it for 24 hours and then began to sand back with a 800 grit wet and dry paper. Once I was happy the repaired parts were smooth I then used a car plastic plant and painted the grille with around 3 coats. I also painted the piece of circular plastic that the front emblem sits on. I then left to dry for 24 hours.

Once all this was done it was the simply task of re-assembling the grill and the final results are down below. I am happy with the way it turned out as I have very little experience with this type of stuff so it was nice to see a good result. I apologise for the lack of photos showing the process, I just didn't think it would turn out as well as it did.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85011[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85012[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85013[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85014[/ATTACH]