Rado87

Best tyres for vr6.

Right, I'm after a full set of tyres for my VR and went to bathwick tyres the other day and was told that they couldn't get 205/45/15 which is what I have on my speedlines. I was offered 195/45/15 instead at a cost of 43 each fitted. Firstly, has anyone here had the same problem, secondly will 195's fit ok and thirdly I don't really want budget and would be keen for your recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go on blackcircles.com or a similar site. They'll deliver them to a fitter near you no problem, and probably cheaper. Lots of people use 195 width tyres so there's no problem with that, but stick to 50 profile as it'll affect rolling radius and put your speedo outif you go 45.

The 205 width are becoming harder to find and as such more expensive, but you'll be fine on either provided you use the same on all 4 corners.

Edited by seanl82

Spot on Sean, thanks for that. Any recommendations on brand? I'm thinking middle of the road, maybe 60 a corner??

Go on blackcircles.com or a similar site. They'll deliver them to a fitter near you no problem, and probably cheaper. Lots of people use 195 width tyres so there's no problem with that, but stick to 50 profile as it'll affect rolling radius and put your speedo outif you go 45.

The 205 width are becoming harder to find and as such more expensive, but you'll be fine on either provided you use the same on all 4 corners.

As Sean says 205 on a 15 inch rim you have limited options these days... not sure they ever did 45 profile.. well the don't now unless it's on a 16 or 17 rim..

Standard vr6 tyres were 205 50 15 on a v speed rating... origionally the corrado came with Dunlop sports. I have continental on mine these days.

Spot on Sean, thanks for that. Any recommendations on brand? I'm thinking middle of the road, maybe 60 a corner??

Rainsports have been recommended here in the past.. never tried myself dunno how many miles your get out of them either.

You could read all 40 pages here....

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?51313-The-Tyre-Discussion-Thread-please-read-1st-post

Do you want the tyres for doing a lot of mileage or for grip? I have Vredestein's on my passat as I get over 20k miles out of them. I had bridgestones on my previous speedlines and they never let me down. I always felt certain names are to be bought as a fashion statement. ... but I've bought 2 yokohamas cheap as someone wanted rid. .I'm no Dunlop or pirelli personally

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've always liked the Rainsports but have to say in recent years have really began to notice what other people were saying for years, which is they have an extremely soft sidewall which results in very spongy handling indeed.

But they last well, they're not expensive, and the wet weather performance with them is superb so well worth considering.

Bridgestone RE002 @ £64.50 + delivery on Camskill are highly recommended.

Ian.

I'll agree with this. I always used to buy tyres just above the budget lot, so the cheap end of the known brands really. I then bought the Bridgestone RE002 and it's genuinely opened my eyes to how much better a good yet still relatively cheap tyre can be.

Excellent feedback guys, spot on. I'm not planning on massive mileage per year so would sacrifice a long life span for good performance. Probably the wrong place to post but anyone heard of any meets/ shows this year? Be good to meet up im thinking.

Not had them on my corrado because I usually buy wheels with tyres, it's cheaper than a set of tyres! But I swear by uniroyal rainsports.

I replaced a set of continental conti sport 5's (I think) on my bmw and although they weren't as grippy, the road noise was no longer ear splitting, didn't tram line and grip in wet is amazing. They still grip really well in dry, and camskill seem to sell they for next to nothing.

Have a look at 195/50 if you cant get 205/50, think a few people run that on here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ian.

a millions times these!

i have ran avons, continentals, michelins & some others & for my VR i will only runs RE002's

this is due to their performance, both wet & dry, but also for their wear rate. plus from what i have read, the bridgestones have a more firm sidewall which gives amuch better feel & response when driven hard

example being - in past i had some avon zv5's which only lasted about 6k miles on the front - compare that to the over 15k miles i have gotten out of the bridgesstones

i would also stick to the 205/50/15 where possible

This is excellent advice lads/lasses, giving me plenty of food for thought!!

I currently use continentals spot contact not cheap i know, but they work well with my style of driving. :)

Ian.

Great tyres.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Great tyres.

Considering buying some myself... getting shot of my continental done zero miles but four years old.

Chuggs you can't keep away :)

Considering buying some myself... getting shot of my continental done zero miles but four years old.

Chuggs you can't keep away :)

It's an addiction.... and I'm car less currently...... I have a build week now for the cupra ..... week 6 so looking forward to late March delivery