Jim

Insurance / glass repair problem - advice..

Hi folks..

This doesn't relate to my Corrado, but my other car and wanted to solicit general opinion.

Couple of weeks ago, someone decided to put through both front windows on my Fiesta. As no other damage was done and no attempt seemed to have been made to steal the car, I simply put in a glass claim through my insurer to have the windows replaced.

Technician showed up, went to do the job, but in the process the mechanism on the drivers door got wrecked. He operated the window mechanism with the doors all still full of glass. I've subsequently had to go to Ford and have a new regulator AND motor as both were ruined. The cost of this was £410 to me as of course I'd only claimed for the glass.

I put in a complaint to Autoglass and after a few days of dragging their heels, they very bravely got some random call center guy to ring me (on behalf of the operations manager AND complaints manager) to tell me they are not liable and they followed all the processes correctly. Anything I queried, he said he didn't know, but that all he was told to say is they were not paying or contributing in any way.

If that's the case, how did I end up having to replace the entire electric window mechanism in the door. I'm on the verge of phoning my insurers to complain about this and just wanted to get opinions on this. Autoglass say that the damage to the mechanism and motor were done during the window being put through... I think anyone with half a brain cell would know this to be bull**** considering the window was simply smashed. How would a motor be damaged by that?

Am I reasonable in pursuing this with Autoglass? Or is it entirely possible / conceivable that both the regulator and motor could be wrecked by the window simply being smashed? I fail to understand how, but would defer to someone more knowledgable than me to explain how!

Thanks.

Jim

I think you are wholly justified in pursuing a case against Autoglass. Common sense dictates that you clear / clean broken glass before operating any mechanisms. The technician should have been aware of the risks and taken steps to remove the door panels and clean out the cavity prior to operating the mechanism. I would say that they have a duty of care to prevent further damage. They are meant to be the experts after all. Contact the Managing Director direct and don't be fobbed off by some call centre operative who is reading from a script. Good luck. Robin

Same as me with my TSI problems Jim . You can't let these people walk over you . But you have to prove it . My car was Broken into years before I had it . I know this because when I was working on the door skins the bottom of the door was full of broken glass. They don't bother to hoover it out , they leave it in there !.

Problem is it's impossible to prove it :( I just hate these companies taking a big **** on people, cause they know full well the average joe doesn't have the means to do anything about it.

Jim. I had a problem with Vodafone and didn't give up. It took a letter to a legal columnist in one of our Scottish papers and within a day, they sorted the issue. So, I wouldn't give up. As you say, the motor is a sealed unit, consequently the chances of glass intrusion is nigh on impossible. Robin

Exactly that . Big companies will fob off the small person . The law states any claim under 10k that you cannot claim back solicitors costs, at this point the small person wonders if it's worth it and that's what they bank on you doing .

Hi Jim I had my windscreen replaced several years ago on my first corrado through glass cover. Unfortunately they did not remove the a pillars prior to cutting the screen out hence ruined both pillars. I complained to which they said it's not there issue but once I suggested I would be going to my insurance company to complain they promptly offered co Dr the costs of replacements. I would peruse pal and if no joy from them speak to your insurance company and provide a written statement of the actions of the technician on the day.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

The call center person will not have authority to approve your claim and will be reading from a script.

I'd start by speaking to the call center manager and ask the question if they are authorized to approve your claim. If not ask to speak to someone who is.

If you get no-where take it to small claims.

Edited by marks2

Sent an email back to the complaints advisor I was originally dealing with:

Hi xxxxxx,

Firstly apologies for this email, as I appreciate you have no say over how my complaint was handled and that this decision was made further up.

I was rather disappointed this morning to receive a phone call from an Autoglass operative telling me that my complaint was rejected, and that no contribution towards my repair costs would be offered. I was told by the operative who phoned me, that the technician who undertook my repair followed "all the correct procedures" - but if the procedures result in damaging a customers car, then I humbly suggest the procedures need reviewing.

The technician who attended my address on 14th January volunteeed the fact that they prefer not to remove the inner door card fully (for fear of breaking things) meaning they can't actually get all of the glass out of the door. This immediately set off alarm bells. If Autoglass are incapable of doing the job properly, if doing the repair in a mobile capacity is not suitable, or if the repair can't be done in a way that will not cause further damage and expense to the customer, then they shouldn't be taking on the work and instead referring the customer to a company who can do the job correctly such as the main dealer.

Needless to say I will be taking this up with my insurer as I'm extremely dissatisfied as to how my complaint was handled.

Regards,

Straight to the financial ombudsman. Don't let them fob you off mate.

Letters to the CEO, post on their Facebook page and twitter, give them absolute hell!

I'm guessing Autoglass were appointed by your insurers to do the work. If so make your complaint direct to your insurers(their supplier, their problem) and make the point that you'll be taking it to the ombudsman if you don't get the damage paid for and your business will be going elsewhere at renewal (this often prompts business decision on the basis that any case that goes to the ombudsman will cost them £500 in fees and may also cost them the repairs on top).

Autoglass wouldn't want to loose the account of any insurer for the sake of your repairs. Insurers wouldn't want to pay more in ombudsman fee than your repairs.

Yeah I rang my insurers claim line and it said "Press 2 for a glass claim" - pressed 2, and it put me straight through to Autoglass!

Yeah I rang my insurers claim line and it said "Press 2 for a glass claim" - pressed 2, and it put me straight through to Autoglass!

Deffo ring your insurers. I've been in the business for many years and know how complaints teams work.

Hi xxxxxx,

Firstly apologies for this email, as I appreciate you have no say over how my complaint was handled and that this decision was made further up.

I was rather disappointed this morning to receive a phone call from an Autoglass operative telling me that my complaint was rejected, and that no contribution towards my repair costs would be offered. I was told by the operative who phoned me, that the technician who undertook my repair followed "all the correct procedures" - but if the procedures result in damaging a customers car, then I humbly suggest the procedures need reviewing.

The technician who attended my address on 14th January volunteeed the fact that they prefer not to remove the inner door card fully (for fear of breaking things) meaning they can't actually get all of the glass out of the door. This immediately set off alarm bells. If Autoglass are incapable of doing the job properly, if doing the repair in a mobile capacity is not suitable, or if the repair can't be done in a way that will not cause further damage and expense to the customer, then they shouldn't be taking on the work and instead referring the customer to a company who can do the job correctly such as the main dealer.

Needless to say I will be taking this up with my insurer as I'm extremely dissatisfied as to how my complaint was handled.

Regards,

Be interesting to see if they'll share a copy of the 'procedures' - wonder if it mentions things to watch out for, such as damage to the motor.