Cluffstarr

First Corrado - Finally! - Dark Blue VR6

Evening All,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while, being nosey on the classifieds and looking at the Members Galleries. Well, hopefully I can add to these pages in the near future as I bought my first Corrado today after wanting one for years! I first thought about getting one back in around 2004 having always liked them growing up. But my first car loves were Alfas and Jags (my Dad had them) so through years of them, I'd admired the Corrado from afar.

I've always wanted a VR6 and I came close to buying one about two years ago but I couldn't find one within a day's travelling distance from me without mental mileage (I know, buy on condition / history / provenance etc...). Anyway, recently, with the banks giving lower and lower savings rate I've had enough and decided to have a spend and after enquiring on half a dozen I went to look at a blue one in Cornwall today and it is now mine! Picture below is from the advert (pistonheads)- I'll try to add my own soon.

It appears to polish up well. No rust to speak of other than a fifty pence sized piece under the rear window seal, so that's something to sort reasonably sharpish. The rest is just stone chips, scratches and the odd car parking ding. I will see how it comes up with the use of a MOP. The alloys need a refurbishment.

Under 100k miles - the engine makes a mighty sound!! However, I don't think all the ponies are quite there - there is a leak from the exhaust centre section that could be the cause so I will fix that first before looking at other potential issues. It did seem a bit more responsive after the drive back (around 150 miles) so maybe it's the result of being sat for a while unused (it's not been taxed since November). It has a great history file with it - the Sunroof and Spoiler work all good, but the spoiler comes up at 70 - I read it should be around 40?? This has to be one of the coolest things fitted to any car - satisfies the 8 year old in me quite nicely :)

Also, the Coolant temperature gauge sat bang on 105 degrees pretty much all of the way back (sat around 60-70mph as the weather was awful). I was a little worried but got less anxious as the miles went on but I think this is a little high? Pointers to where to look first? Would say to change the thermostat and get it flushed out with fresh coolant first.

Also it's missing the front grille VR6 badge - any good sources for these?

Look forward to my time with this modern classic and hope in the fullness of time to become a welcome member of the forum!

Cheers, Cluffy

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase!

First off, was it the coolant temp (gauge) or oil temp (MFA) that was reading 105? Coolant would be pretty high, especially at this time of year, but oil temp would be pretty much bang on.

Spoiler on later models should come up at around 56mph, (as opposed to 46 for pre 93 model cars). Mechanism may just need a clean as its slow to come up and you didn't notice as you were rising through the revs! lol.

Where are you located? Can't be too far away if only 150 miles from Cornwall?

Worth getting a diagnostic scan if you're worried about loss of power, could be a simple sensor or as you say, an exhaust leak, but always nice to get the diagnostic scan to know theres nothing wrong on that front.

Look forward to any updates,

All the best!

First off, was it the coolant temp (gauge) or oil temp (MFA) that was reading 105? Coolant would be pretty high, especially at this time of year, but oil temp would be pretty much bang on.

Spoiler on later models should come up at around 56mph, (as opposed to 46 for pre 93 model cars). Mechanism may just need a clean as its slow to come up and you didn't notice as you were rising through the revs! lol.

Where are you located? Can't be too far away if only 150 miles from Cornwall?

Worth getting a diagnostic scan if you're worried about loss of power, could be a simple sensor or as you say, an exhaust leak, but always nice to get the diagnostic scan to know theres nothing wrong on that front.

QUOTE]

It was the coolant and not the oil temp. The oil temp was 132 and 140 the times I checked. Seems like it's running hot then. I'll get it in the garage as sson as I have sorted my insurance out (I used temp cover yesterday...)

When you say the mechanism may need a clean, can you be more specific? Do you mean to clean the arms it extends on etc?

I am in Yeovil. I originally found one in Plymouth but this one was lower mileage down in St Austell with a better history file and therefore went to see it first. Hopefully it will be a wise choice!

Many thanks in advance for any further help!!

Cluffy

If you have a look in the wiki section, there's a guide to cleaning it. Includes arms and motor including brushes.

Yeah that's very hot oil temp, and I wouldn't advise running for any extended time until you've got to the bottom of the problem. I'd replace thermostat and water pump as a matter of urgency, giving the whole system a back flush and fresh coolant, then go from there mate.

Can I suggest you check your auxiliary water pump is working also. Its the one you can hear "whirring" as soon as the ignition is on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Spoiler comes up at 70 so no going over 71 then :smug:

Absolutely officer, 70 just to test the spoiler :)

So, there are two waterpumps?? I need to do more reading. I will make this the first job for my mechanic and the tracking needs doing as the steering wheel is out of alignment - annoying...

I'll have a look for the guide for the spoiler. Love this part of getting a new motor and finding out all of the little nugets of info...

Can I suggest you check your auxiliary water pump is working also. Its the one you can hear "whirring" as soon as the ignition is on.

Just been out to check and the only noise I hear after turning the key without starting, is the ABS pump click...?

Hmmmmmm. Currently reading the 'definitive VR6 cooling' thread and trying to get my head around it all...!

Oh, and keep meaning to ask - should it have a lower scuttle cover?? Mine has covers around the wiper arms and a piece on the passenger side toward the engine bay but is missing a good 3/4 of the section covering the wiper motor and the washer wipe pipes etc. Can anyone point me to a picture of what it should look like?

Cheers!

Oh, and keep meaning to ask - should it have a lower scuttle cover?? Mine has covers around the wiper arms and a piece on the passenger side toward the engine bay but is missing a good 3/4 of the section covering the wiper motor and the washer wipe pipes etc. Can anyone point me to a picture of what it should look like?

Cheers!

Nope, scuttle is mostly open. I fitted an SWG scuttle cover, looks much better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[ATTACH]85307[/ATTACH]

Not fully covered. I believe the wiper cover would be from a passat as they are normally uncovered

[ATTACH]85307[/ATTACH]

Not fully covered. I believe the wiper cover would be from a passat as they are normally uncovered

Great - that's how mine looks :)

Sorry to bump up - but the front grille badge? Only a couple on EBay and not sure they're right and I have seen images of Corrados with them in both silver or red script - is there a difference to the cars the came with them or is it an aftermarket thing?!

Many thanks in advance, Kieran

Early vr6 Had red vr6 badge... very rare these days...

Brushed chrome on late vr6

There's a guy on Facebook in Spain who does very good replicas

See here

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?95789-Front-chrome-vr6-grill-badge&highlight=Vr6+badge

Looks like you have a badge from a vr6 golf from what I can make out.

Edited by delfinis38

Afternoon All,

I've been investigating the cooling issue a little. I went for a drive around town for a couple of chores at lunch and the temperature came up and hit 100+ degrees again (Oil temp only hit 94 as I was watching - I'm sure it would've gone higher if I'd have need to drive for longer). I opened the bonnet with the engine still running and no fan action whatsoever. However, on switching off the engine, the fans both came on...

I am slowly reading though this thread: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?38925-The-definitive-VR6-cooling-guide

but does this ring any bells with anyone as a common issue seen before?

Many thanks,

Cluffy

Cant help on the issues I'm afraid as I'm yet to get my Corrado running :( - but welcome and a nice looking car you have there! - I was a long time lurker too ;)

Cant help on the issues I'm afraid as I'm yet to get my Corrado running :( - but welcome and a nice looking car you have there! - I was a long time lurker too ;)

Thanks very much!!

On further thought (and hopefully logical thinking...!) I think the first thing I should investigate is the temp sender in the Rad? Can anyone confirm what drives the fans when the ignition is off..?

Id start by doing a cooling flush and replaced the temp sensors. That very high for driving for a short period at this time of year.

Does it drop down at all when your going along at 60mph + for a reasonable time?

Id start by doing a cooling flush and replaced the temp sensors. That very high for driving for a short period at this time of year.

Does it drop down at all when your going along at 60mph + for a reasonable time?

On Saturday driving it back from Cornwall it sat with that kind of temperature all the way.... 70(ish..!) most of the way back

Had a similar issue with my VR6 a couple of years ago, although the temps didn't get quite as high as yours. Turns out the thermostat had failed and jammed shut. I replaced this, the housing and all the o rings, gave the system a flush out and refilled with G12+ and all was good again.

Had a similar issue with my VR6 a couple of years ago, although the temps didn't get quite as high as yours. Turns out the thermostat had failed and jammed shut. I replaced this, the housing and all the o rings, gave the system a flush out and refilled with G12+ and all was good again.

I think I will check to ensure the rad switch is working but I will take precaution and change the Stat, possibly the sensors if they're not too dear these days and of course fill with some nice fresh coolant.

I am trying to get to the fuse box on this thing to check fuses 15 and 19 - I have found the two screw clips under the steering wheel on the right that come down and out but have not found a way to access. Am I in the right place? Is there a knack or am I just being a bit weak with it and the plastic cover needs firm persuasion? From the manual it suggests just above the clutch pedal, but on mine this is all shrouded / screwed in...?

I think I will check to ensure the rad switch is working but I will take precaution and change the Stat, possibly the sensors if they're not too dear these days and of course fill with some nice fresh coolant.

I am trying to get to the fuse box on this thing to check fuses 15 and 19 - I have found the two screw clips under the steering wheel on the right that come down and out but have not found a way to access. Am I in the right place? Is there a knack or am I just being a bit weak with it and the plastic cover needs firm persuasion? From the manual it suggests just above the clutch pedal, but on mine this is all shrouded / screwed in...?

you are in the right place m8

it is the furthest right part of the undertray. normally has 2 funny 'twist to open' type clips that often break. i think they twist open & then pull out towards the floor. then the undertray section should just pull towards the rear of the car & hey presto can see the fuse board

likely need to remove all of the undertray sections to work on it though

it is the furthest right part of the undertray. normally has 2 funny 'twist to open' type clips that often break. i think they twist open & then pull out towards the floor. then the undertray section should just pull towards the rear of the car & hey presto can see the fuse board

Thanks for the detailed feedback - I'll find some time tonight and give it a better look :)

Mine went a long time ago. There's two self-tapping screws hold that small tray in now!!

Mine went a long time ago. There's two self-tapping screws hold that small tray in now!!

ha ha that is a common 'fix' m8 LOL