robrado974

Bonnet catches / locks question.

I fitted a new cable and trumpets a few weeks back. All was well . I also swapped the lights for later ones , I'm not sure why but around 7or 8 years ago me and a friend swapped, he had my late ones I fitted his earlier set . I bought the later ones a few years back but have only just got round to changing them . I've now noticed that the bonnet has problems closing. Mine is a 92 (November)VR . I've only changed the cable , why are the bonnet pins not locking into the slam panel . If you drop the bonnet hard they locate, but after seeing the incident on fb the other week of Danny's bonnet flipping up I'm worried. All the other parts on my car are late . The bonnet rubber seems tight on top of the lights . Any help appreciated chaps .

Rob

Its probably that the locking mechanism is a little tighter so the spring is slightly engaged Rob. If you loosen the cable off a touch it should be ok. Alternatively, wind out the pins half a turn and try again mate.

Ideal opportunity to fit a refurbished bonnet catch + pins too?

Ian.

Edited by GlosterOx

Mmmmm, I'm not sure I would want to loosen the cable any more Sean . It feels like it's only just pinging up the bonnet as it is . I will try to wind the bonnet pins a bit like you said . How much are the pins Ian ?.

Thank you chaps for the advice.

Ideal opportunity to fit a refurbished bonnet catch + pins too

Ian.

Well worth it!

It may be the drivers side one Rob. Close the bonnet gently and push down at the pin area to see how well and when they locate. Its a bit of trial and error when re-fitting them tbh mate. Ians pins and catch do look great when fitted too!

Have to remember the catches open or release inwards together and not like what "a windscreen wipers action" would be. Before I renewed mine with the Ox my cable was operating like the wipers, god knows how it was opening at all..

Mmmmm, I'm not sure I would want to loosen the cable any more Sean . It feels like it's only just pinging up the bonnet as it is . I will try to wind the bonnet pins a bit like you said . How much are the pins Ian ?.

Thank you chaps for the advice.

£30.00 delivered on an exchange basis - When you return your old ones I refund you £5.00

Ian.

Ok Ian I will order a pair soon thank you. In the mean time I still can't get the passenger side to lock into place . Which part of the pin with the large spring on am I supposed to be turning and what way , it seems to move but not much ?. Thanks again all of you .

Rob does the passenger side move freely? It may have rusted open although the torsional force in the spring should keep it in the locked position.

When I did the trial&error fitting for the bonnet release cables I accidentally routed the cable slightly wrongly at the passenger side, it seemed to me that it should have went through the wee bit on the slam panel that sticks out(poor description). The pin wouldn't locate correctly, I assume the cable was pulling the lock part too tight? , but was fine once I'd rerouted it.

On another note, when I got my 16v the passenger side wouldn't release with the cable fully pulled, I had to move the pin slightly to centre it better, I just freed I off a little bit and closed the bonnet, it then found its own centre, so tightened it up and it's been fine

Springs are moving freely Hasan . Easy , the trumpet seems to be in the right place . It's probably something simple , just can't figure it out .

Can you get someone to pull the cable handle, so you can look down the hole/holes to see if the release mechanism is moving, and to see if both have equal movement. Just in case the passenger side one isn't sitting right?

I fit the trumpet with the screw in it the wrong way round to the diagram, seems to work better for me. I noticed it can catch on the slam panel opening the cable passes through

Just had a thought. I shut the bonnet by accident, when I was working on the car , before I fitted the new cable , i had to reach inside and pull the two parts where the trumpets sit to open it. At one point I realised I was pulling the torsion spring lower down , maybe I've bent it slightly, so the pin cannot locate in the slam panel?. The passenger side of the bonnet is just bouncing up and down at the moment, it just won't lock in to place .

As I thought , when you look down into the locator, the torsion rod is visible on the drivers side . It's not on the passenger side . So I pushed it back into position. Shut the bonnet and it closed, but then the drivers side would not shut . That was fine before?.

You could be right Sean , maybe the cable is to tight. It doesn't feel like it's doing much when you pull the handle though, it's not like , as soon as you begin to pull it , it opens straight away, it travels all the way up before it pings .

A bit of tinkering is needed me thinks Easy .

Exactly that mate, I'm sure you'll get there, and like all these things, you'll have a better understanding of how it works :)

Exactly that mate, I'm sure you'll get there, and like all these things, you'll have a better understanding of how it works :)

Yeah, definitely gets easier after fitting the second bonnet cable.....still got your third one to fit easypops!

Yeah, definitely gets easier after fitting the second bonnet cable.....still got your third one to fit easypops!

Ha ha, good luck mate. I find a helper to pull on the handle invaluable as it makes the tweaking a lot easier:)